BREAKING NEWS!!! Pete Carroll Interested...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3188045

Sources: USC's Carroll interested in Falcons' opening

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 9, 2008, 2:38 PM ET

USC coach Pete Carroll is interested in the Atlanta Falcons' head coach opening and is expected to speak with Atlanta owner Arthur Blank via phone Wednesday, sources at the American Football Coaches Convention in Anaheim told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Pete Carroll has been rumored for many head coaching vacancies in the NFL in recent years.

Blank is expected to offer full control of personnel decisions to Carroll and the sources said that is what intrigues Carroll most. Carroll is currently on vacation in Hawaii.

The Falcons' interest in talking to Carroll about their opening was first reported Tuesday night by ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Carroll, who has previously been a head coach in the NFL with the New York Jets and New England Patriots, is the biggest name on the list of Atlanta candidates.

Carroll, 56, recently completed his seventh season at Southern California with a resounding victory over Illinois in the Rose Bowl. He has led the Trojans to two national championships and compiled a 76-14 record. The 14 defeats have been by an average of just 4.1 points.

Southern California was 11-2 this season and many observers felt that, had it not been for injuries, the Trojans might have vied for the national title. Carroll's .844 winning mark at Southern California is the best in the nation among active coaches with at least five seasons of experience.

Over the past few seasons, there has been rampant speculation that Carroll might be lured back to the NFL, but he has rebuffed all overtures to return to the pro game. Conventional wisdom is that Carroll would only consider an NFL job if he had full control over the football operation.

In his first NFL head coaching stint, Carroll lasted just one season with the Jets, taking the team to a 6-10 record in 1994. He coached the Patriots for three seasons, 1997-99, and was 28-23, with one division title and two playoff berths.

The Falcons suffered a bad experience this season with a coach hired from the college ranks, when Bobby Petrino, formerly of Louisville, resigned with three games remaining to fill the Arkansas vacancy. But unlike Petrino, who had been an NFL assistant for three seasons, Carroll has prior head coaching experience in the league and was an assistant coach and defensive coordinator for 12 years as well.

In the past, Carroll has listened to NFL interest from Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, Arizona and Houston.

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN. Information from ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli was used in this report.

Wow, as bad as I want us to stay away from college coaches, this is one that I would not mind one bit. He has credentials, and has coached (pretty successfully at one time) in the NFL. He led the Pats to 2 playoffs in 3 seasons. I'm stoked about this and hope that it comes to fruition.

direwolf (1/9/2008)
The only way I'd be interested would be if he brought Monte Kiffin with him. At least then we'd have a good defense every year.

Direwolf

I seriously doubt that would happen as Pete was a DC in the NFL and that is his specialty. I know he would not try to be DC while being HC at the same time but I think Carroll would be inclined to bring someone he's closer to in as a DC. Who knows at this point though.

DemDirtyBirds4 (1/9/2008)
do people even look at the other threads before posting??? I mean we dont need 50 threads on the same topic!

dude, lighten up, this is the offseason.

I have also seen a dozen "come back" posts just like yours today too, but it ain't worth barking at anybody, especially during the off season.

don't let a few extra posts steal your joy today, life is too short.

DemDirtyBirds4 (1/9/2008)
do people even look at the other threads before posting??? I mean we dont need 50 threads on the same topic!

If you bothered to read the article, it shows Pete Carroll is interested in the Falcons jobs.. all the other threads are about the Falcons being interested in Pete..

xnex (1/9/2008)
direwolf (1/9/2008)
The only way I'd be interested would be if he brought Monte Kiffin with him. At least then we'd have a good defense every year.

Direwolf

I seriously doubt that would happen as Pete was a DC in the NFL and that is his specialty. I know he would not try to be DC while being HC at the same time but I think Carroll would be inclined to bring someone he's closer to in as a DC. Who knows at this point though.

Someone he is closer to?

He is BEST FRIENDS with Monte Kiffin and have been for a LONG time.

ghoticov (1/9/2008)
xnex (1/9/2008)
direwolf (1/9/2008)

Direwolf

Someone he is closer to?

He is BEST FRIENDS with Monte Kiffin and have been for a LONG time.

Well I sure didn't know that. I knew that Monte's son Lane coached for Pete at SC prior to taking the Raiders job but I didn't have a clue that Monte and Pete were that tight.