PETE CARROLL MAY BE A FALCON

TGeezy

Absolutely hate the idea. Nothing against him personally, but I would rather have an NFL assistant than a college head coach.

Even the best NFL teams are going to loose a few games a season, and head coaches at the marquee level of college football have very little experience dealing with loosing. It's easy to parade around and talk big after a win, but much harder to turn around and motivate your team after a loss (or several in a row) to go out and win.

Plus, in the NFL, there are no cupcake teams on the schedule - you have to go out and coach your very best every single game. It's a big change for college coaches to come and have to actually gameplan and work every single game, whereas they may only have to do this 3 or 4 times during the college season.

BlacksburgHokie (1/9/2008)
Absolutely hate the idea. Nothing against him personally, but I would rather have an NFL assistant than a college head coach.

Even the best NFL teams are going to loose a few games a season, and head coaches at the marquee level of college football have very little experience dealing with loosing. It's easy to parade around and talk big after a win, but much harder to turn around and motivate your team after a loss (or several in a row) to go out and win.

Plus, in the NFL, there are no cupcake teams on the schedule - you have to go out and coach your very best every single game. It's a big change for college coaches to come and have to actually gameplan and work every single game, whereas they may only have to do this 3 or 4 times during the college season.

I totally agree. He could be another flop like Petrino. My vote has just been changed we need a guy like Jason Garrett

TGeezy (1/9/2008)
BlacksburgHokie (1/9/2008)

I totally agree. He could be another flop like Petrino. My vote has just been changed we need a guy like Jason Garrett

Great lets bring in someone that doesn't really have that much NFL experience because we don't want someone who has college experience along with their NFL experience. **** Pete Caroll could leave his college experience off of his resume and it is still better than what all of the other candidates resumes look like. He simply has the most experience out of anyone available. I still don't think he will be willing to come here though.

BlacksburgHokie (1/9/2008)Absolutely hate the idea. Nothing against him personally, but I would rather have an NFL assistant than a college head coach.

Yeah, but keep in mind that Carroll coached in the NFL for like fifteen years. I'm a Pete Carroll fan, but I don't think I'd like to see him come here.

I am torn! I can see why the Falcons want to interview Carroll, BUT at the same time, I see another "experiment".

I agree with what Colin Cowherd said earlier today about desperate teams usually make desparate moves -- could this be a desperate move by Blank? He also said that usually teams like the Falcons are seeking the "golden chalice", the "magic bean", the "holy grail". I can see where he is coming from. Are we in "desperation mode" by interviewing Carroll?

On the other side of the coin, I can see Carroll's attributes -- a tough coach, but a player's coach. He knows how to run a program and be successful, BUT this is the NFL. He gets 25 1st round draftees every year and doesn't have to deal with salary cap issues. He also doesn't have to deal with overpaid primadonas, so my question is,

loozianafalcon (1/9/2008)
I am torn! I can see why the Falcons want to interview Carroll, BUT at the same time, I see another "experiment".

I agree with what Colin Cowherd said earlier today about desperate teams usually make desparate moves -- could this be a desperate move by Blank? He also said that usually teams like the Falcons are seeking the "golden chalice", the "magic bean", the "holy grail". I can see where he is coming from. Are we in "desperation mode" by interviewing Carroll?

On the other side of the coin, I can see Carroll's attributes -- a tough coach, but a player's coach. He knows how to run a program and be successful, BUT this is the NFL. He gets 25 1st round draftees every year and doesn't have to deal with salary cap issues. He also doesn't have to deal with overpaid primadonas, so my question is,

(OOPS - forgot to finish my question)

........so my question is, WHY WOULD HE LEAVE USC FOR US? So, all in all, I am torn with this interview.