Clarity please

DL Reese

from what I gather, there is no "moratorium" on when you can interview a front-office guy that is not related to coaching - regardless of whether team is in playoffs or not. You still have to ask permission of the team but I don't think the team really has the right to turn down the request for interview.

Oh, and for those who are unsure of the rules on interviewing assistants, here's what league spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail today:

"For clubs that have byes for wild-card weekend, interviews of its coaches must be conducted prior to the conclusion of the wild-card games." (MG SAYS: This would be Garrett, Sparano and all the other coaches on the Cowboys, Packers, Colts and Patriots.)

"For assistant coaches in a wild-card game that advance to the divisional playoffs, interviews must be conducted after the wild-card games and prior to the conclusion of the divisional playoffs." (MG SAYS: This would be Spags this week.)

"An assistant coach in the Super Bowl who has previously interviewed for another club's head coaching job may have a second interview with a club with which it has previously interviewed for an open HC position with the permission of the assistant's current club and as long as there is a two-week break between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl. The interview has to take place at a time and location that is acceptable for the current employer club and it can take place no later than the Sunday preceding the Super Bowl."

DL Reese (1/9/2008)
I know about the moratorium on hiring coaches from teams in the playoffs but is the same true for front office personnel?

I 've seen the question asked but never saw a definitive answer.

what moratorium is this?

there is a rule but rules are broken all the time...ask jerry jones