Will Roddy be a 'shooting star' with the likely departure of Hue Jackson in 2008?

ATL--75

Roddy did some positive things in 2008. He barely broke the 1,000 yard mark, but it is still a significant personal accomplishment for him and the tutelege of Hue Jackson was instrumental in his development. Now with the likely departure of Hue, will Roddy begin to regress and go back to dropping multiple passes per week? Will Roddy's attention to detail and preparation become less of a priority for him?

New coach means new perspectives and its an opportunity for Roddy to build on his 2007 success or regress and make the Falcons wonder if drafting another WR is something that may be needed once again..

Barely broke 1,000 yards? Most receivers barely do break 1,000 yards. Besides, he had 1,200 yards, so that's not barely. He had about 120 yards less than Owens, close to 300 less than Moss. This was with 3 different QBs, one of which checked down 9 out of 10 times. The other 2 receivers have both been playing for close to 10 years. (more for Owens.) Roddy had his 3rd year and didn't come on big-time until about week 5 or 6.

Dem Birds Can Fly (1/8/2008)
Barely broke 1,000 yards? Most receivers barely do break 1,000 yards. Besides, he had 1,200 yards, so that's not barely. He had about 120 yards less than Owens, close to 300 less than Moss. This was with 3 different QBs, one of which checked down 9 out of 10 times. The other 2 receivers have both been playing for close to 10 years. (more for Owens.) Roddy had his 3rd year and didn't come on big-time until about week 5 or 6.

yea and roddy was 8th in receiving. i think he was in front of houshmanzadeh and some other impressive names. he more than double his yardage count from last year.

I think Vick was the primary reason our WRs always sucked. He rarely threw to them. When he did, it wasn't always accurately. If Roddy can put up those numbers with the revolving QBs we had this season, he'll be just fine with a good QB and coach for an entire season.

BlacksburgHokie (1/8/2008)
Why even speculate about this?

Let's wait and see what happens next season. Maybe White was primed for a breakout season, and it had nothing to do with Hue.

yea you're right. maybe it did maybe it didnt. all i know is that we better start getting laurent roddy and jerious the **** ball next year.

Was it all really Hue Jackson, if we're speculating? I'm thinking the veteran presence of Joe Horn, though his on the field contributions were minimal, played a significant role. Word on the street is that he prepares like none other, and his workout regimen that the receivers participated in was also very intensive. I think Joe had an impact as much as anyone.

popcornplaya (1/8/2008)
Was it all really Hue Jackson, if we're speculating? I'm thinking the veteran presence of Joe Horn, though his on the field contributions were minimal, played a significant role. Word on the street is that he prepares like none other, and his workout regimen that the receivers participated in was also very intensive. I think Joe had an impact as much as anyone.

yea i think that too. i believe it was joe hue and just roddy finally believing in himself.

Well, if we throw the ball in excess of 600 times again this season then one of our receivers will crack 1,000 yards and the odds are on Roddy. I mean, Even at 50% passing, thats 300 receptions spread among maybe 6 players. Average of 50 per player, and we all know Crumpler, Dunn, Norwood, and Jenkins won't all have 50

As for "the receivers sucked because of Vick"... Please. Roddy didn't drop passes because Vick threw them. When a team throws under 400 times no QB or WR will play particularly well. Vick would have to complete on 90+% clip of the 400 attempts just to have as many completions as the QB's this season throwing at roughly a 60% clip with 600 attempts.

****, even Eli Manning, one of the worst pocket passing QB's in the league ends up with the 7th, 6th, and 3rd most passing attempts in the last 3 seasons.

The combination of Horn, Hue, and having a halfway decent passing offensive design is what led to Roddy's season. Knapp's offensive design pretty much made life harder on passing and WRs. Roddy is huge when it comes to YAC, and when you play in Knapp's offense there is NO YAC. Running 5 yard curls next to two other WRs isn't going to get you yardage.

Even if Hue leaves, I think Roddy now knows what it takes to be a top level receiver and he must certainly like the idea of being "a weapon" on the team. His stats put him in the area of some of the this seasons best.

I'm sure he will continue to progress next season.

Plus any new coach would see film of this season and realize he was one of the few bright spots in 2007 and want to use in further.

Bermuda Falcon (bdafalcon) (1/9/2008)
ATL--75 (1/8/2008)
Roddy did some positive things in 2008. He barely broke the 1,000 yard mark,

I have to say, 1,202 yards is certainly not barely breaking the 1,000 yard mark. It actually placed him 13th in the league with some pretty impressive company.

not 13th tied for 8th with colston.