If Heckert is the choice, I hope he accepts quickly and...

etherdome

I hope that Arthur and Rich follow the plan after they hire their GM. In other words, they should hire the GM and then get out of the way. All this interviewing of HC's has me a little suspicious, but maybe it is an effort to comply with the Rooney rule as well as to give the new GM a running start on business.

bgarcia28 (1/8/2008)
I hope that Arthur and Rich follow the plan after they hire their GM. In other words, they should hire the GM and then get out of the way. All this interviewing of HC's has me a little suspicious, but maybe it is an effort to comply with the Rooney rule as well as to give the new GM a running start on business.

Heckert will only be an addition to the team. Blank and McKay are not "getting out of the way" Heckert will be gathering the information and making reccommendations. That, however, allows him to have a tremendous role in the future of the team. Three heads (or 10) are better than one.

HECKERT!

75382041.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193550E821156FDE612B8C680AB34476EDE284831B75F48EF45

14falcons (1/8/2008)
bgarcia28 (1/8/2008)

Heckert will only be an addition to the team. Blank and McKay are not "getting out of the way" Heckert will be gathering the information and making reccommendations. That, however, allows him to have a tremendous role in the future of the team. Three heads (or 10) are better than one.

HECKERT!

75382041.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193550E821156FDE612B8C680AB34476EDE284831B75F48EF45

Not exactly. The only way for him to come to us will be to gain complete control or else it will be a lateral move.

scott24falcs (1/8/2008)
does anyone know how long Heckert has been working in the NFL?

45.jpg

Tom Heckert

General Manager

One of the league's top executives, Tom Heckert is in his 7th season in Philadelphia after being promoted to his current role of general manager on January 2, 2006. In this role, he works closely with Andy Reid in all player personnel matters while managing the player personnel department, which includes both college and pro scouting.

"The lifeblood of building a successful NFL team is having a strong player personnel department. Specifically, the success in the draft," said team president Joe Banner. "Tom has been a tremendous asset in that area. He's bright and is very diligent in his work."

His first draft with the Eagles produced Lito Sheppard, Michael Lewis, Brian Westbrook and Sheldon Brown, the first three earning Pro Bowl selections. In 2004, the Eagles added another Pro Bowler in Shawn Andrews. Prior to that draft, he also engineered the trade of 3rd-string QB A.J. Feeley to the Dolphins for their 2nd-round pick in the 2005 draft, which was used to select WR Reggie Brown.

Heckert has also shown a knack for finding key rookie free agents (S Quintin Mikell, C Jamaal Jackson DT Sam Rayburn, and WR Greg Lewis among others) who not only earned roster spots, but have been solid contributors to the Eagles recent success.

Heckert, 40, joined the Eagles as the club's director of player personnel on May 21, 2001, after a 10-year stint as a member of the Miami Dolphins player personnel department. Heckert was promoted to vice president of player personnel in 2003.

"In the interview, I just felt comfortable with him," Reid said, "felt comfortable with what he knew. I knew he wouldn't be afraid to tell me his honest opinion. I knew it wouldn't matter what the scouts or the coaches said. He was going to give me a straight shot."

In 1999, he served as the Dolphins assistant director of pro personnel/college scout and was promoted to director of pro personnel in 2000. Heckert served as both a pro scout and as a college scout during his first nine seasons in South Florida.

Heckert's scouting talents have been valued by the NFL. In 2003, he was appointed by the league to the 12-person College Advisory Committee, which advises college football juniors on their draft status.

Over his 16-year career in the NFL, Heckert's teams have experienced just one losing season, won their division eight times and made the playoffs 12 times, including five in Philadelphia.

During Heckert's tenure in Miami, he worked under two of the most successful head coaches in NFL history -- Don Shula and Jimmy Johnson -- who both personally recommended Heckert for his current post with the Eagles.

Said Johnson when Heckert was hired, "I told Coach Reid if I were to come back as a head coach, Tom would be one of the first guys I'd try to hire."

A native of Adrian, Michigan, Heckert joined the Dolphins after spending two years as an assistant coach at Hillsdale College in Michigan. He also was a defensive back at Hillsdale.

Heckert's father, Tom, began his coaching career in 1961 and spent 20 years in the NFL player personnel ranks, his last 13 with Miami before retiring in 2004.

Recalled the younger Heckert, "I was around the football field and football offices probably more than I was home. I was always there. After school, I'd watch his practices. We'd go to every game. When I was really young, he'd be upstairs in his office working and I'd just watch tape, because it was there."

Heckert (born 7/17/67) has a son, Griffin (12), and a daughter, Madison (10), and resides in Chadds Ford, PA.

Here is his bio from the Eagles' website.