Bill considers banning swearing in bars...

bucsbabe1127

But if I go outside, I might offend the smokers

St. Louis-area town considers proposal that would ban swearing in bars

Video: Weird news

updated 4:19 p.m. ET, Tues., Jan. 8, 2008

ST. CHARLES, Mo. - What the ...? A St. Louis-area town is considering a bill that would ban swearing in bars, along with table-dancing, drinking contests and profane music.

City officials contend the bill is needed to keep rowdy crowds under control because the historic downtown area gets a little too lively on some nights.

City Councilman Richard Veit said he was prompted to propose the bill after complaints about bad bar behavior. He says it will give police some rules to enforce when things get too rowdy.

But some bar owners worry the bill is too vague and restrictive, saying it may be a violation of their civil rights.

Marc Rousseau, who owns the bar R.T. Weilers, said he thinks the bill needs revision.

"We're dealing with adults here once again and I don't think it's the city's job or the government's job to determine what we can and cannot play in our restaurant," Rousseau said.

The proposal would ban indecent, profane or obscene language, songs, entertainment and literature at bars.

A meeting to discuss the proposal is set for Jan. 14.

-----------

SERIOUSLY? Do the fine folks that run this country have nothing better to do?

It's a BAR. What next? No blasting loud music in your house or car?

On a side note, the headline is kinda funny.

This is pretty ridiculous; however, I have seen a lot worse.

Oregon legislators tried to pass a bill that labeled virtually all crimes (even misdemeanors) acts of terrorism, all punishable up to 25 years to life in a work camp.

Downloading copyrighted music could have landed you 25 years in a work camp under that bill, even more scary, it was only narrowly defeated.

capologist (1/9/2008)
morphy (1/9/2008)
Private Property.

I would agree if it was one bar's policy but this is a town ordinance which goes beyond private property...

#####, #####, ****, you ##### #####, :P try to enforce a law like that unless a cop is standing there and even then, he's not going to do anything to you except tell you to leave. I bet a Cop would be laughing if he had to enforce it. ;)