Welcome to the Jungle vs Smell like teen spirit

KingPickles

Both blew me away when I heard them. I know it's easy to hate on Nirvana because they seemed to champion "anti-skill". But they were very influential and no doubt kick started a thousands of kids to want to play music. To me they made it clear that anybody could do it with the right attitude. Rock was always meant to be raw like this and that is why I love the song. And I say that with a sense of irony with the huge production on the recorded version.

So you see, I like the song just beyond the song.

However, I can hear " welcome to the jungle" right now and it still sounds fresh to me. The state of radio was awful when G N R and the scene busted it wide open. I love the song and if I had to choose, it would win between the two. I hate that Axel seemed to lose his snottyness and traded it for a diva attitude. They were great songwriters and I would have loved to hear what else they could have done.

Of course, if Slash' Snakepit and Velvet Revolver is any clue..I will pass on that.:P

Yes, Smells Like Teen spirit was the #1 song of the 90's. But, the guitar riffs in Welcome to the Jungle thrashed Spirit's. Plus Slash is one of the best to ever pick up an axe.

And I'd rather support an alcoholic and drug abuser than a person selfish enough to commit suicide. Yes, I have Nirvana's greatest hits, but I have nearly every old GnR album made.

Welcome to the Jungle, by a **** sight.

First, that song and that band totally changed the '80s hair metal scene. It brought back good, dirty rock guitar and solid chops to a genre beset by synthesizers and crap pop ballads. Even GNR's ballads were good, solid songs.

Second, the song is just much better from a musical standpoint. Cobain was a fine rhythm player, but he couldn't touch what GNR did on that track.

Both songs were equally important. They both brought a much needed fresh perspective to mainstream rock music. GNR had been touring on "Appetite" for a year before it finally blew up. MTV and rock radio were filled with cheesy bands that got more concerned with aesthetics than songwriting or attitude. "Appetite" was an excellent display of both... nothing new, but still important. They combined the technical skill of AC/DC, the songwriting of early Aerosmith, and the attitude of the New York Dolls. They were what Motley Crue wished they were. Unfortunately, GNR couldn't keep it going and quickly became redundent themselves.

Nirvana had been around for a while prior to thier unintended explosion into mainstream America and the world. I had seen them tour after "Bleach" came out and had been listening to "Nevermind" for at least 6 to 9 months before the big blow up occured. Post Appetite-era GNR, mainstream rock-n-roll had once again reverted back into the same trash that was happening prior to "Appetite"... actually it was even worse than before. The same thing's been going on with mainstream hip-hop lately. It's all about what kind of car and how many women you have in a video rather than actually making good music. The timing of "Nevermind"'s rise to the top was perfect. While it was nothing new to those who had been listening to more underground music for years (Sonic Youth, Fugazi, The Pixies, The Fall, Husker Du, The Melvins, etc had been doing what Nirvana was doing for a decade already in some cases), it was a true alternative from the hair sprayed cockrock that America had been getting force-fed by MTV and FM radio for years. The impact of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was similar to the Sex Pistols' "Anarchy in the U.K." in the late 70's, but on a much bigger scale due to expansions in music marketing. Nirvana, whather they intended to or not, opened up a lot of ears, eyes, and minds with their brand of substance over style rock.