Since the CB position is deep in this years draft...

No, because IMO there isn't a CB in this class that was on Hall's level coming out of college. To say that we could find someone to "replace" him is not right. You realize that our starting corners could be Houston / Sanders or Houston / Irons? Not to mention that our safety situation is questionable and our pass rush seems to disappear if Abraham is not on the field. Not saying that we won't upgrade some other positions but trading Hall would be a mistake IMO.

It all depends on what we're getting for him. I think their are some good CBs that will be available through the draft, but none are as talented as Hall. I like to think that we will keep Hall, giving us our pair of CBs for the future (Hall and Houston). Deep down though, I have a strong feeling that Hall won't be with the Falcons next season.

BillyWitchDoctor (1/8/2008)
No, because IMO there isn't a CB in this class that was on Hall's level coming out of college. To say that we could find someone to "replace" him is not right. You realize that our starting corners could be Houston / Sanders or Houston / Irons? Not to mention that our safety situation is questionable and our pass rush seems to disappear if Abraham is not on the field. Not saying that we won't upgrade some other positions but trading Hall would be a mistake IMO.

I just thought i`d throw a thought out there.

scott24falcs (1/8/2008)
If we were to trade him I really hope that we can pick up somebody in FA, preferably Nnamdi Asomugha from the Raiders. Nnamdi is a big tough, physical corner who excels in man to man coverage.

He's going to want a fortune.

Same could be said for Hall.

papikaika (1/8/2008)
scott24falcs (1/8/2008)
If we were to trade him I really hope that we can pick up somebody in FA, preferably Nnamdi Asomugha from the Raiders. Nnamdi is a big tough, physical corner who excels in man to man coverage.

Absolutely. Give me a 1st and a 3rd, and you can have Hall.

scott24falcs (1/8/2008)
papikaika (1/8/2008)
scott24falcs (1/8/2008)

Absolutely. Give me a 1st and a 3rd, and you can have Hall.

Agree. And for those who say there is nobody like Hall in this draft, I disagree. Hall, when he came out had the knock that he was going to struggle in man-on-man coverage, that he is more of a zone corner, but with ability to become a shutdown man corner. That's exactly what happened, Hall has worked and improved a great deal since he arrived, but you still see some lapses in his game when he is manned up 1 on 1.

This has become a very deep draft at CB with the juniors that are coming out, and if Malcolm Jenkins announces as well, it will be even deeper. I think Talib, Cason, or either Jenkins could be a good pick for us in round 1 (with the pick we aquire in trade). They, like Hall will have to work to improve some aspects of their game, but they could all become top notch corners. It will be a little weak for a year as the youth develops, but maybe better in the long run.

If Zimmer is truly gone, this would be a great opportunity to make a switch to a Cover 2. Draft one of several bigger cornerbacks in the 2nd to replace Hall, who has always looked uncomfortable in zone coverage and would likely get eaten alive playing in a shallow zone when he wants to play man all the time, and use the 1st pick on a disruptive defensive tackle that could force poor decisions and help out the secondary. Even if we don't make the switch, and we certainly don't have to to have a successful defense, always better to put money in the front four than the back four.

grendel (1/8/2008)
Richard Nixon (1/8/2008)
If Zimmer is truly gone, this would be a great opportunity to make a switch to a Cover 2. Draft one of several bigger cornerbacks in the 2nd to replace Hall, who has always looked uncomfortable in zone coverage and would likely get eaten alive playing in a shallow zone when he wants to play man all the time, and use the 1st pick on a disruptive defensive tackle that could force poor decisions and help out the secondary. Even if we don't make the switch, and we certainly don't have to to have a successful defense, always better to put money in the front four than the back four.

I dunno... seems kind of late to come to the Cover 2 party. Cover 2 teams are starting to mix it up a lot more and only use Cover 2 some of the time. Offenses have identified the holes in the Cover 2 and drafted to exploit them. Plus, Cover 2 requires really good safeties, of which we have none.

Another option would be to hop right on the next-gen path and just mix in the Cover 2 with a new defensive philosophy. Nothing has to be concrete, that's one of the few advantages of being such a horrible team, we're not attached to an old philosophy and we're rebuilding best we can.:D

One sleeper that absolutely nobody is talking about is Virginia Tech senior CB Roland Minor. This guy started all 12 games his sophmore year if I recall opposite Jimmy Williams and the past 2 years has run into trouble getting academically eligible. He didn't play this year due to academics but he has proven to play at a high level in his sophmore years, problem is he had problems academics which is understandable at times.

He's a sleeper to keep an eye on during the 2nd day.

The only way I would be ok with trading Hall is if we get multiple picks, or sign either Asante Samual( unless he resigned already, I can't remember right now) or Asomugha in free agency. We are gonna have to pay Hall sooner or later so as said before we could use that money on someone else. If we would trade him and not sign a FA, our defense would take a huge step back.

atlfalcon2184 (1/8/2008)
The only way I would be ok with trading Hall is if we get multiple picks, or sign either Asante Samual( unless he resigned already, I can't remember right now) or Asomugha in free agency. We are gonna have to pay Hall sooner or later so as said before we could use that money on someone else. If we would trade him and not sign a FA, our defense would take a huge step back.

How much farther back can it get? Teams can run and pass on us as they please, we could barely hold Seattle's backups down by the end of the year. We desperately need fresh blood at all levels of the defense to get back into contention.

son you need to hit the college forum

I was going at it today with these SEC lovers

grendel (1/8/2008)

Or, we throw the same bag of money we had prepared for Hall at Nnamdi Asomugha and use the 1st round pick for something else, like Rashard Mendenhall...

That's exactly what I was thinking. If we're going to pay so much to Hall with his big mouth, why not spend it on Asomugha or Samuel, who are just as good, if not better, than Hall, and use the pick(s) on one of our many needs? It seems like a win-win scenario to me.

I don't want to trade him but if we can sign Nnamdi Asomugha to replace him, maybe????

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have both???? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.:)