Falcons top 5 biggest mistakes of 2007

5. Letting Kerney go. Our D-line was in pretty decent shape with him, and a draft pick was needed elsewhere. (Safety, O-line)

4. Leftwich. Injury prone qb's are never good. Even worse when he should back up Harrington.

3. 2008 Draft. Not that I dislike Anderson, Houston or Jennings, but we had some major glaring holes. A kicker is very much needed. Also Jared Gaither was teriffic for a 5th round pick. Gandy is old as Grady, and nothing was done to have a replacement.

2. Playcalling (includes Ovie). Why do you sign a FB to not use him? HOw many Dunn up the middle attempts do you need to realize that it might not work? When do you bench Jenkins for allowing more touchdowns then he caught?

1. Petrino. Not that he lied and ditched. We were promised more of Norwood and Jennings. Why would he not talk to Hall/Crumpler. How bad do you have to be for Warrick to call you out? Grady Jackson anybody?

I don't want to hear about how he left his gap and how Lewis stayed where he was supposed to. After seeing what I did, I saw Lewis not strong enough to bull rush, so he could only stand his ground. If that is really all that a DT needs, then why do we not find a 500 lb man to litterally stand there. He gets tired? Lets sign 3.

Grady made a great play for every time he pushed too far, that allows Brooking to forget his team and tackle his teammate.

This would have been #1, but he is in Jail. Quite a couple fans had wanted Mike Vick traded. The reason was not his skills, but rather how his skills are unused and no supporting cast. They wanted him traded to have him star on a different team rather then rot away with Joe Horn and Warrick Dunn.

How often would you hear that fans wish their best player be traded so he can excel? The FO has seriously screwed up by not helping him. Do we want another WR? Nope. RB? Not really. We wanted a simple lineman (preferrably LT) and to rid Forney. All we get in return is Gandy...

funkyfalcons7 (1/7/2008)
1. MV7 not commimg clean from the beginning.

2. Bobby P

3. Mckay as GM

4. Signing Ovie

5. 07 draft (horrid draft)

1. How is what mike did the teams fault? hey were hoodwinked too.

2. No one knew he was rat. Hindsight is 20/20. same writers trashing him loved the pickup.

3. I dont know why everyone wants his family dead. I dont understand you guys.

4. All because Petrino didnt use his abilities doesnt mean he stinks. Obviously you didnt watch much football before he got here. He did some great things for the ravens.

5. This proves you dont watch much football. I dont think any team fielded as many players from this years draft as we did. Let alone as many making the team. we have started 6 players out of this draft. Not many teams in the league can say that, good or bad.

My two cents worth:

1) Hiring Bobby Petrino with the resume he has. Clearly looking at his resume and the constant changing of position or lack of stable tenure would have raised flags for me. Also his play calling was questionable from day one!

2) Selecting Joey Harrington as your starting QB and expecting him to do something that he has not done before, win. Joey clearly is not starting material. During preseason there was talk of Jacksonville looking for a third round pick for Garrard (this was before they decide to cut Byron). I remember thinking we should have offered that pick. We would have had a QB now.

3) Mckay not addressing the team issues. It is impossible that with all the stories that came out after Petrino split that he did not know things where bad in the locker room. As a GM Mckay should have been intervened long ago.

4) A host of bad personnel moves by the front office:

a. Grady Jackson release

b. Billy Cundiff release

c. Ovie Mughelli signing

d. Allen Rossum trade

e. Drafting Jamaal Anderson 8th (still to be determined)

f. Signing Joe Horn

g. Letting Kerney leave

5) Allowing Mckay to stay on after Petrino! Mckay has had a look of say over they last few years and he clearly has to shoulder a lot of the blame for the way things have turned out

Re#2

I believe our last 1st round DE pick was Patrick Kearney and you can take a look at his rookie season stats. JA is clearly outperforming him and I see nothing but great potential going forward. It would have been a shame for him to get seriously injured, during this wash year, while getting acquainted with NFL level hogs.

Re#4

Norwood obviously ran different in 2007 than 2006. Although he some outstanding breakout runs he didn t exhibit the same 2nd effort after the initial hit he demonstrated in 2006. Maybe he watched the ESPN clip of Earl Campbell, didn t feel good, or knew that he couldn t change the outcome. At any rate I think an investment in our OL will make him a tremendous asset and I m glad we didn t wear him out this year.

Appreciate the frustration of the 2007 season just please don t take it out on you patients- the 2008 glass is half full!:)

215FalconsFanatic (1/8/2008)
funkyfalcons7 (1/7/2008)
1. MV7 not commimg clean from the beginning.

2. Bobby P

3. Mckay as GM

4. Signing Ovie

5. 07 draft (horrid draft)

4. All because Petrino didnt use his abilities doesnt mean he stinks. Obviously you didnt watch much football before he got here. He did some great things for the ravens.

quote]

He is not a bad player. However, there is absolutely no reason you pay that amount to a fullback. The position is somewhat important, but there are several, and I mean several guys that are available to be signed every year at MUCH less. Whoever made the decision on that contract lost there mind.

Chiropractor (1/7/2008)
1. Signing Ovie to an enourmous contract (overpaying for mediocre talent you don't use)

2. Drafting Jamaal 8th overall (drafting below mediocre talent)

3. Picking up Bryon Leftwich (signing fragile mediocre talent)

4. Not giving Norwood more carries (inexplainable)

5. Allowing Rich McKay to remain President, and essentially giving our GM 2 people to answer to instead of the previous one person.

I didn't list Petrino hiring for obvious reasons.

OK, YOU'VE LISTED THE TOP 5 BIGGEST MISTAKES OF 2007 ........... NOW WHAT??????

Chiropractor (1/7/2008)
1. Signing Ovie to an enourmous contract (overpaying for mediocre talent you don't use)

5. Allowing Rich McKay to remain President, and essentially giving our GM 2 people to answer to instead of the previous one person.

you hit the nail on the head

Chiropractor (1/7/2008)

1. Drafting Jamal

2. Not giving Norwood enough carries

3. Not signing a strong K before the season

4. Letting Kerney go

5. Allowing McKay to be president