Falcons top 5 biggest mistakes of 2007

1. Signing Ovie to an enourmous contract (overpaying for mediocre talent you don't use)

2. Drafting Jamaal 8th overall (drafting below mediocre talent)

3. Picking up Bryon Leftwich (signing fragile mediocre talent)

4. Not giving Norwood more carries (inexplainable)

5. Allowing Rich McKay to remain President, and essentially giving our GM 2 people to answer to instead of the previous one person.

I didn't list Petrino hiring for obvious reasons.

1. Even as Louisville fan, Petrino is no. 1.

2. Signing Ovie to big contract.

3. Leftwich was a mistake, at the time, we did not know Redman was going to

be good.

4. Jamaal Anderson drafted over Lousiville's own Amobi Okoye (would have solved DT problem).

5. Not pursuing a trade for Vick at the draft when you had a chance to trade him to the Raiders plus our 1st-Round pick for No. 1 overall and a no. 2.

Funky, claiming that the O7 draft was horrid is ridiculous! We had one of the best drafts in the league - just because every one of our picks didnt exceed expectations does not mean we had a bad draft. Drafts need AT LEAST 3 years before we can even begin to try to decide on how good they were - kind of like the players that we drafted. Get a life.

Chiropractor (1/7/2008)
1. Signing Ovie to an enourmous contract (overpaying for mediocre talent you don't use)

5. Allowing Rich McKay to remain President, and essentially giving our GM 2 people to answer to instead of the previous one person.

Signing Ovie was a mistake for how often we used him this season, but he still has the potential depending on the coaching staff next year to develop into a very important piece on our offense.

Drafting Jamaal was a pick based more on potential then anything else. Regardless of what you think of the pick, that's the reality of it, and thus it's unfair to judge his contribution after only his rookie season.

Signing Leftwich was a mistake, but it was a risk worth taking. We got a starting quarterback for very little money, and can cut him this offseason with no penalty. It was a low risk signing with the potential for great reward if he proved himself as a starter.

For all we know about Norwood, he might be at his best when we limit his touches. He had a very high YPC average, but it almost definitely would have decreased as he received more carries. I certainly would like to see more of him in the offense as he is an explosive playmaker, but he may never be a consistent 20 or 25 touch player.

Not sure why allowing McKay to remain as president is a bad thing. The new GM will only report to McKay, and McKay then reports to Blank since we have no VP of football operations. Everyone seems to be painting McKay as this evil person who is just staying around so that he can screw the Falcons in the end - I haven't seen any evidence that this is the case. He had the opportunity to resign and go elsewhere, but declined. What benefit would he gain by being some sort of evil cancer destroying the Falcons from within? His reputation is on the line in this process too...

Got a life. As you can see by post count, I do not live on this board.

But I will grant you 3 years to totally evaluate it, But as far as impact rookies, it was a bust. Blaylock and Houston may be solid players in years to come, but Anderson looks like a straight bust.

Durrant was there in the 3rd or 4th round and shold have been taken. Look at almost every other team and they had an impact rookie. Atlanta had none. Facts are facts.

Chiropractor (1/7/2008)

1. I agree that we overpayed Ovie, but he is a good FB.

2. You don't judge any rookie by their first year. Heck, you don't judge any player until their 3rd year. If Roddy White didn't make you understand this then there is no hope for your ignorance.

3. We needed a QB to compete with Joey and it's hard to complain about 1 millions dollar 1 year contract. Who knew Chris Redman was going to be the shiznit.

4. I agree...

5. I think the mistake was not keeping him as GM for drafting purposes, as for HC selections... No...

Chiropractor (1/7/2008)
If McKay liked Jamaal so well, and why didn't he trade down to the fifth round and take him there?

You don't take an 8th overall pick and NOT EXPECT AN IMPACT.

Because he wouldn't be there in the 5th round.

What kind of stupid question is that?

1. Petrino.

2. Releasing Grady.

3. Signing Ovie wasn't the problem, signing a player you weren't going to use is.

4. Not giving Norwood enough touches to really know what we have. He may not be a full time RB, but we don't really know that yet. And it wasn't like Dunn was giving us a whole lot.

Thats good enough. Don't feel like talking about Vick. McKay isn't the devil. And Blank is trying to do what he thinks is right.

1. Hiring of Petrino- I'm not even going to talk about the results of this one.

2. Ovie Mughelli! I don't care what anyone says, no excuse for paying a fullback an 18 million dollar salary. That is not to say he is a bad player, or cannot make a difference, but there's not a FB in the league there is worth this much. Stupid, idiotic, and useless move.

3. Not enough upgrades on the oline. I know we drafted Blaylock and I'm not saying he's a bust, but he was not enough. Kynan Forney, Todd McClure, and Gandy should have all been cut. Wayne Gandy was awful every game he played this year, and was bad every game he played last year. What were we thinking here?

4. Matt Prater- Why is it so hard for us to address the kicking situation? What did this guy do in practice to possess us to make this move? We've had kicking issues for three years, and there were numerous kickers in the 6th round including Mason Crosby. Front office, address this now!! No more excuses.

5. Letting Adam Jennings return kicks- Now I'm not saying Allen Rossum was some hot commodity, but what was the deal with letting Jennings return punts and kicks? The guy isn't what we need. The team must agree with me because first they took him away from kick returning and gave that job to Jerious, then DHall was doing the punt returning at the end of the year. In my opinion, develop him as a reciever if you can, but forget about the returning, he doesn't have the vision or athletic ability for the position. (Chris Johnson in the 3rd, or Mikey Henderson in the 5th maybe??)

Don't get me wrong, I did not, and do not like the pick of Jamaal Anderson. I think we could've done better. However, he is only in his first year and I'm not ready to call him a bust yet. Someone needs to throw him in the weight room, lock him in it, and not let him out for two months. Let's give the guy time.

1. Firing Mora.

2. Hiring Petrino

3. The Ovie M. signing. (Pay all that money for someone that did not play much)

4. Cutting Grady Jackson (Let's cut the teams leading tackler) paid off for Grady however.

5. Byron Leftwich signing

6. The failure to address the offensive line problems.

7. The Joe Horn signing. (He was hurt a lot and did not have that great of an impact)

8. The lack of any game plan on offense.

9. The lack of team discipline and unity.

10. Why such ugly cheerleader uniforms and why not go back to the original Falcon uniform for the players. The Chargers went back to their old uniform and they are in the playoffs

just a qucik qustion before my intoxicated *** answers.

Doe this topic take into condiseration the Offensive Line Dan Reeves promised in 99 to Protect Chandler and completley faild to build **** near 10 years later ???

before I list the 07 mistakes since we had some guys on welfare starting on the OL this season...

My opinion:

1. not force Vick to plead guilty immediately;

2. hire a college coach;

3. average talent draft, wrong positions drafted;

4. bad player's management during games (Mughelli, Norwood, QB's ...);

5. bad public relations (both players, coaching staff and management).