Sinletary no longer a cadidate- opps if already posted

cshot4

Blank and McKay also could interview Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, but San Francisco assistant coach Mike Singletary is no longer a candidate.

per Sporting News

Eagles GM Heckert interviews with Falcons

E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 0 WATCH THIS TOPIC

Posted: January 7, 2008

that is a bit disappointing if its true. i cant say that i am surprised though. i really have been wondering about this whole story of mike's dad passing away. it may be that this really puts the brakes on such a decision, both mike's decision and the potential teams who are interested. i hate to say it, because i selfishly want him to be our coach, but probably the best thing for him to do is to take it easy this year rather than loading himself up with such heavy responsibilities and stress.

he will be an awesome coach one day. i wish it was for the falcons.

though i havent thrown the towel in yet. :)

jdc1963 (1/7/2008)
bgarcia28 (1/7/2008)
jdc1963 (1/7/2008)
Does anyone know if he even got another sit down?

He got something much better......a recommendation from Tony Dungy.

I meant Singletary...did he interview? I know he did last year but I mean this year?

Nope, the Falcons never even asked for permission to speak with him.

Lots of the "excitement" talk in the media about Singletary from Blank was overblown last year.

grendel (1/8/2008)
Shouldn't the new GM be making the list of candidates and say who's in or out? This is the most bass-ackwards thing I've ever seen.

you gotta keep in mind that last week was the only week they were allowed to interview coaches from dallas/gb/indy/ne and such until they were either eliminated or were done playing.

so say they had jim caldwell high on their list, but Indy makes it to the SB, they don't want to wait to feb just to talk to him.

rydolph (1/7/2008)
I find it funny that a lot of people on this board actually thought Singletary was going to get our head coaching position. Now if he wants to join our team as the defensive coordinator, I would be all for that.

I think so too; it's another case of people wanting something (why they wanted it, I don't know), so they talked themselves into believing it was going to happen. LOL.

I would have killed myself if Singletary was coach of this team.

apparently singletary isn't on the falcons list. when you called it "bass-ackwards" i thought you were refering to interviewing coaches before hiring a gm. just explaining that they had to interview the coaches they did interview when they did, they couldn't wait until they hired a gm.

grendel (1/8/2008)
joremari (1/8/2008)
grendel (1/8/2008)
Shouldn't the new GM be making the list of candidates and say who's in or out? This is the most bass-ackwards thing I've ever seen.

you gotta keep in mind that last week was the only week they were allowed to interview coaches from dallas/gb/indy/ne and such until they were either eliminated or were done playing.

so say they had jim caldwell high on their list, but Indy makes it to the SB, they don't want to wait to feb just to talk to him.

Uh... but Singletary is not in the playoffs, and, without a GM on board, he's apparently been removed from the list?

and i know you ask if he has been removed, but he may have not ever been on the list.

I'm sorry but the only reason people want Singletary is because he's black and he was a HoF player on the 85 Bears. Not because of his resume as a coach. I can understand people wanting a black headcoach. There are still not enough that get an opportunity despite being qualified. Howeverm there are much better black head coaching candidates than Singletary. The Falcons don't need another inexperienced 'ra-ra' guy from the 49ers.