ALEX BOONE

Big Duke 6

Alex Boone

T, Ohio State

War Room analysis

Strengths: Huge player who is extremely athletic for his size. Shows quick feet and can set up in a hurry in pass protection. Fires off the snap quickly in the running game and can get to the second level to make a block. Pass rushers can't get past him on the outside.

Weaknesses: Not a hard-nosed blocker; seems like more of a catch blocker. Strong, smaller defenders have been able to get leverage and move him around. Can get beat with inside moves if opponents throw them hard and quickly. Has had issues with mental errors and stupid penalties that have cost his team. Consistency is a big question.

Bottom line: Coming out of a big-time program, Boone certainly looks the part of a big-time prospect. He has a big frame and the ability to bend well at his knees, which allows him to make all the necessary blocks. However, questions about his mental toughness will likely cause his stock to fall. Nobody likes a soft lineman, and Boone doesn't always seem to come to play hard on every down. However, he does have the athleticism to make up for any technical problems. If he shows some added maturity and steps up his game, Boone will become a solid starter in the NFL.

6 foot 8 and 325 pds

bigduke633 (1/7/2008)
Boone is supposed to gomid to early 2nd according to sportingnews.Barton they say is a late or undrafted type of project but hey we have to watch everybody.;)

I don't think Barton will fall that far, either way though we don't realy need a RT. Boone is interesting, I like him especially if he ends up falling to our 3rd rounder somehow.

bigduke633 (1/7/2008)
Boone is supposed to gomid to early 2nd according to sportingnews.Barton they say is a late or undrafted type of project but hey we have to watch everybody.;)

I don't think Barton will fall that far, either way though we don't really need a RT. Boone is interesting, I like him especially if he ends up falling to our 3rd rounder somehow.

you guys all do know that hes a junior, and is projected as a 2nd rounder in the 2009 draft? i mean i like the guy too but saying he should be our pick at #34-36 over someone like sam baker, jeff otah or chris williams seems a little extreme. he might have better value a little later, and as far as i know he hasnt even declared yet. so this all seems a bit premature.

Mr. Offseason (1/9/2008)
you guys all do know that hes a junior, and is projected as a 2nd rounder in the 2009 draft? i mean i like the guy too but saying he should be our pick at #34-36 over someone like sam baker, jeff otah or chris williams seems a little extreme. he might have better value a little later, and as far as i know he hasnt even declared yet. so this all seems a bit premature.

Whos the last viable player to come out of USC? (and no, LenDale is nothing short of a fatass being handed the ball every chance the Titans can)

I'll take Boone.

Any word on him declaring? I really like the guy and I think he seems perfect for a power scheme- great pass blocker with a killer mentality. He could stand to get a bit stronger and refine his technique a bit, but we don't have to start him right away. He'd be an ideal pick in the 2nd for us IMO. Really hope he declares, but Ohio State's loss may make him stay in hopes of a national title...