lenny p on 790 about falcons

he hate me

Lenny thinks Heckert will be the guy but does not say this is "point in fact". He said there was one AFC guy who was to interview for GM position later this week and Falcons postponed the interview - presumably because they know who they want. He also said its a little "curious" that it does not seem like Eagles are trying to hard to keep Heckert - but he did not make too much of that. He said Heckert is good GM and Falcons could "do worse" than hiring him.

Lenny says Falcons were "blown away" by Jim Caldwell and liked Sparano and Garrett as well.

formul8or (1/7/2008)
The Eagles owner strongly recommends Heckert to us, does that mean that they want us to take him off of their hands? I don't know why else they would recommend him.

I sure hope that if I had a chance at a better job with much higher pay, that my boss would recommend me highly too. I don't see anything sinister about this.

joremari (1/7/2008)
formul8or (1/7/2008)
The Eagles owner strongly recommends Heckert to us, does that mean that they want us to take him off of their hands? I don't know why else they would recommend him.

if they wanted him off their hands couldn't they just fire him?

Maybe his contract would require that they still pay him if he's fired (like Jim Mora's)...but if he left for another job, they're off the hook.

july425 (1/7/2008)
joremari (1/7/2008)
formul8or (1/7/2008)

Maybe his contract would require that they still pay him if he's fired (like Jim Mora's)...but if he left for another job, they're off the hook.

Could it be that they like him and want him to advance?Andy Reid is their main guy and heckert seems to want to have his own show.Im just reading what could be but who knows what is going on.

bigduke633 (1/7/2008)
july425 (1/7/2008)
joremari (1/7/2008)
formul8or (1/7/2008)

Could it be that they like him and want him to advance?Andy Reid is their main guy and heckert seems to want to have his own show.Im just reading what could be but who knows what is going on.

Sure...I don't think any owner would actually say something bad about any employee they give permission to talk to other teams. If they did, it would make them look stupid, not the employee.

Very well could be the point. And for what it's worth, if Reid is calling the major shots, the GM in Philly's case can mostly be someone willing to do some OJT (on the job training) just as Heckert could have done. I can't say I'd be opposed to someone who has learned the art of the draft from Reid. I do hope he's not going to be a lapdog, but he had to have learned something useful and resourceful in Philly.

celtik

celtiksage (1/7/2008)

Very well could be the point. And for what it's worth, if Reid is calling the major shots, the GM in Philly's case can mostly be someone willing to do some OJT (on the job training) just as Heckert could have done. I can't say I'd be opposed to someone who has learned the art of the draft from Reid. I do hope he's not going to be a lapdog, but he had to have learned something useful and resourceful in Philly.

celtik

I wouldnt take it that far.I kind of think andy got to pick a position he wanted and heckert would get the best available at that need.If they didnt agree which heckert claims they always did agree heckert would get andy his guy.Hard to say what was going on up there but they had some real good drafts and andy cant acout it all so heckert would be most to credit while andy is responsible for the draft.

The eagles team you see is because of andy reid not heckert. the lack of receivers is andy's choice. He believes that wr and lb's can be found later in the rounds. He believes on getting linemen early. This is not necessarily heckert's approach. Also Andy runs a west coast so he needs players of certain skill sets. It is the GM's job to get the candidates. Then Andy would pick who he wanted. So he had the final say. Heckert has been waiting for the chance to do the whole process himself. That is why this job is attractive to him. Andr reid has was HCGM most of the time here in philly. I think all the GM candidates we brought in are good. i am not mad at all of them. I like all the HC candidates we brought in as well my preference is with Caldwell though. He did OK in wake forest but has been very good in Tampa and Indy with standup people cosigning him. Caldwell just sounds like the next in line of the Tony Dungy coaching tree. Also McKay knows him so i think he has a inside track. Also i believe he will bring the type of offensedefense we have pieces already in place. With a QB upgrade we can run the type of offense indy runs, norwood probably can do a great addai impression. And our D could work with a cover 2. we just would need to upgrade the Safety positions. Sorry Lawyer but you dont have the wheels for 2 deep anymore. we definitely have the linebackers and DL for it. Indy Colts Jr. aint bad to me.

Peyton = Rookie QB or FA

O Line = A whole bunch of change. I have no idea how we going to fix this mess.

Clark = Crumpler, Blakely, Milner

Wayne, Harrison, Gonzalez = White, Robinson, ???

Addai = Norwood or ????(McFadden or Smith or hidden gem)

215FalconsFanatic (1/7/2008)
The eagles team you see is because of andy reid not heckert. the lack of receivers is andy's choice. He believes that wr and lb's can be found later in the rounds. He believes on getting linemen early. This is not necessarily heckert's approach. Also Andy runs a west coast so he needs players of certain skill sets. It is the GM's job to get the candidates. Then Andy would pick who he wanted. So he had the final say. Heckert has been waiting for the chance to do the whole process himself. That is why this job is attractive to him. Andr reid has was HCGM most of the time here in philly. I think all the GM candidates we brought in are good. i am not mad at all of them. I like all the HC candidates we brought in as well my preference is with Caldwell though. He did OK in wake forest but has been very good in Tampa and Indy with standup people cosigning him. Caldwell just sounds like the next in line of the Tony Dungy coaching tree. Also McKay knows him so i think he has a inside track. Also i believe he will bring the type of offensedefense we have pieces already in place. With a QB upgrade we can run the type of offense indy runs, norwood probably can do a great addai impression. And our D could work with a cover 2. we just would need to upgrade the Safety positions. Sorry Lawyer but you dont have the wheels for 2 deep anymore. we definitely have the linebackers and DL for it. Indy Colts Jr. aint bad to me.

Peyton = Rookie QB or FA

O Line = A whole bunch of change. I have no idea how we going to fix this mess.

Clark = Crumpler, Blakely, Milner

Wayne, Harrison, Gonzalez = White, Robinson, ???

Addai = Norwood or ????(McFadden or Smith or hidden gem)

They took reggie in the 1st round in 2006.They looked the best they ever have with T.O. and I give andy a lot of credit but dont short heckert.Atleast they are a winner the past 6 or 7 years so we are talking to good people.

I wouldnt take it that far.I kind of think andy got to pick a position he wanted and heckert would get the best available at that need.If they didnt agree which heckert claims they always did agree heckert would get andy his guy.Hard to say what was going on up there but they had some real good drafts and andy cant acout it all so heckert would be most to credit while andy is responsible for the draft.

That'd be fine by me too.

celtik