Caldwell was 26-63 as head coach ..NO THANKS

swiftkick

swiftkick (1/7/2008)
He is Indy holding a clipboard and getting Manning his gatorade on the sidelines

swiftkick, while I disagree with you on Singletary, I agree that Jim Caldwell scares me, too. His head coaching resume' is horrible at Wake Forest and he has the most "cushy" job in all NFL being Manning's quarterback coach. Manning coach's himself - he does not need a coach!

Please tell me someone what has Jim Caldwell ever done? If he ends up being the coach, I will support him, but really - what is impressive about Caldwell besides he's just a "class guy" who worked for Tony Dungy?

Robert William (1/7/2008)
really....this from a guy who wants singletery...a linebackers coach who started his coaching career in 2003!!!!....has only ever coached one position .....no head coaching experience.....good one! NO THANKS

Singletary deserves a s chance before giving Caldwell one...He had his

joremari (1/7/2008)
no offense swiftkick but i'll take tony dungy and peyton manning's word over yours.

I'll take their word as well. Caldwells HC experiece was at Wake Forrest, which is known for its academics, and basketball. Not to mention that was 8 years ago I believe. The man is involved wih a winning organization, thus having far more to offer than Singletary.

g-dawg (1/7/2008)
swiftkick (1/7/2008)
He is Indy holding a clipboard and getting Manning his gatorade on the sidelines

swiftkick, while I disagree with you on Singletary, I agree that Jim Caldwell scares me, too. His head coaching resume' is horrible at Wake Forest and he has the most "cushy" job in all NFL being Manning's quarterback coach. Manning coach's himself - he does not need a coach!

Please tell me someone what has Jim Caldwell ever done? If he ends up being the coach, I will support him, but really - what is impressive about Caldwell besides he's just a "class guy" who worked for Tony Dungy?

one thing that can't be overlooked is the fact that Tony Dungy publicly is recommending him for a HC position. Dungy is a man of utmost character and would not put his reputation on the line just for anyone.

g-dawg (1/7/2008)
swiftkick (1/7/2008)

more and more I am leaning towards Garret

who you like smackie ?

swiftkick (1/7/2008)
really....this from a guy who wants singletery...a linebackers coach who started his coaching career in 2003!!!!....has only ever coached one position .....no head coaching experience.....good one! NO THANKS

where was caldwell a head coach?

what time span was it?

joremari (1/7/2008)
swiftkick (1/7/2008)

what time span was it?

It was at Wake Forest ...regardless he couldnt build a successful college program what makes you think he is going to be atleast bit successful here..

Id rather take a chance on a hot cord that seems to being getting praised around the league then a coach that had a chance now does nothing in Indy

We all Know Manning runs the offense ...of course Manning is going to say nice words about him but lets be honest ..Manning wouldnt have lost a step with or without Caldwell

atlfalcon78 (1/7/2008)
g-dawg (1/7/2008)

who worked for Tony Dungy?

Dungy wouldn't step up unless he knew the guy could handle the job. I think Dungy's past success and the success of his past coaches goes a long way for me.

I am sure Dungy will not bad mouth any coach being he is a class act..

swiftkick (1/7/2008)
joremari (1/7/2008)
swiftkick (1/7/2008)

what time span was it?

It was at Wake Forest ...regardless he couldnt build a successful college program what makes you think he is going to be atleast bit successful here..

Id rather take a chance on a hot cord that seems to being getting praised around the league then a coach that had a chance now does nothing in Indy

We all Know Manning runs the offense ...of course Manning is going to say nice words about him but lets be honest ..Manning wouldnt have lost a step with or without Caldwell

exactly, Wake Forest in the mid to late 90s. Now tell me about the level of competition in the ACC at that time span.

Doesn't seem like Garret wants the job here, at least according to Peter King. He may be wrong at times, but King isn't the type of guy to just make something up.

swiftkick (1/7/2008)
atlfalcon78 (1/7/2008)
g-dawg (1/7/2008)

who worked for Tony Dungy?

Dungy wouldn't step up unless he knew the guy could handle the job. I think Dungy's past success and the success of his past coaches goes a long way for me.

I am sure Dungy will not bad mouth any coach being he is a class act..

im sure dungy wouldn't have said a word then if he didn't think caldwell was ready. dungy has built himself up a reputation. he wouldn't put that on the line for just anyone.

great...lets take a chance on a coordinator...... we would rather take a chance on someone who has been in COACHING for a TOTAL of 3 YRS....swiftkick you might as well send in your resume

coaching experince doesnt phase me...We are in a rebuilding process.Its going to take atleast 3 years write the ship ..Why not have a young coach face adversity now and let him build this franchise back up..Yes in todays NFL you can have a bad year like we did and make the playoffs next but what we needs is to build a winning franchise that makes consecutive playoff apperances

swiftkick (1/7/2008)
great...lets take a chance on a coordinator...... we would rather take a chance on someone who has been in COACHING for a TOTAL of 3 YRS....swiftkick you might as well send in your resume

coaching experince doesnt phase me...We are in a rebuilding process.Its going to take atleast 3 years write the ship ..Why not have a young coach face adversity now and let him build this franchise back up..Yes in todays NFL you can have a bad year like we did and make the playoffs next but what we needs is to build a winning franchise that makes consecutive playoff apperances

just b/c it takes three years usually to build a truelly strong team doesn't mean you can't win now. if you think we are in a mess, look what new orleans went through in 2005 and they bounced back one year later in the NFCCG. they hired a good, young, hot coordinator, brought in some talent, and are won. Sure, they are still rebuilding, but i bet they are much happier to have gone 11-5 the first year of their rebuilding process.

and seriously, who in our division is really good? No one. Every team can be beat. The falcons can, with the right moves, definently compete next year.

Rebuilding is not an excuse to mail in the season.

ok...i can live with that..lets say we do go with young face...after three years...if things are not working out like we want...what do we blame it on...oh he was young??? he didnt have enough experience....why are we so sure someone young is going to turn it around...and why three years?

swiftkick (1/7/2008)
g-dawg (1/7/2008)
swiftkick (1/7/2008)

more and more I am leaning towards Garret

who you like smackie ?

swiftkick,

honestly right now nobody jumps out at me other than Marty Schottenheimer who we apparently either is not interested or we are not pursuing.

So, for now, I guess I am in the position of "throwing stones" at candidates without really having a guy that I "back" for the position.

ok...i can live with that..lets say we do go with young face...after three years...if things are not working out like we want...what do we blame it on...oh he was young??? he didnt have enough experience....why are we so sure someone young is going to turn it around...and why three years?

I am at the point we need a coach that will be around for 8 years +

I just dont feel Caldwell will be..I cant predict the future and say who will be the better head coach but I am more willing to take a chance on a younger coach with what seems to be a good football mind then a older coach that has had his chance

Only time will telll

Swiftkick, having read your post tag line and content, I think your guaging Caldwell only on a "stat". A W/L record doesn't mean squat (Petrino). I've been a member of these boards since 2005, I've had plenty of opportunity to have read your posts in the past and you are quite fair and reasonably accurate in your assessments. You post with the best interest of this team in mind.

I feel the following portion of Caldwell's Bio speaks volumes over the stat of his W/L record and should be considered since he obviously took over a poor program at Wake Forest and made them a contender during his tenure:

"Caldwell spent 1993-2000 as head coach at Wake Forest. In 1999, Caldwell led the school to its first winning season and bowl game since 1992. Wake Forest defeated Arizona State, 23-3, in the Aloha Bowl. During Caldwell s tenure, Wake Forest ranked among the nation s Top 25 teams in passing offense on four different occasions, including 10th in the NCAA in 1995. That season, QB-Rusty LaRue established seven NCAA passing records."

Now, I know he is looked upon as a QB guru, but the QB is only as good as his front line, no? We are in need of an offensive rebuild, no? What would it be like with Caldwell as HC? Caldwell also has been a defensive player and coach so he is well rounded. Caldwell, or anyone else for that matter will certainly build their own team of coaches and assistants. Caldwell comes with a fine resume, and very good references.