Rick McKay

direwolf

You know, a lot of people around here seem to be questioning McKay's integrity as much as his ability to put together a good football team. I've seen several people suggest that he might be trying to advise Blank to pick a candidate who will make him look better rather than the candidate who best fits the job and would have the best shot at putting a winner on the field.

There are suggestions that McKay will try to swing hires for the GM and Head Coach positions who will fail in order to be able to say "I told you so" to Blank.

From everything I've heard and read and seen of McKay, his integrity is not up for dispute. Say anything you want about his abilities, but to imply that he would act in a dishonest manner without having a shred of proof to back it up is just plain wrong.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. We're supposed to be talking about football here, not making snide and suspicious comments about a man's character when there are no indications that he has problems in that regard.

Direwolf

direwolf (1/7/2008)
You know, a lot of people around here seem to be questioning McKay's integrity as much as his ability to put together a good football team. I've seen several people suggest that he might be trying to advise Blank to pick a candidate who will make him look better rather than the candidate who best fits the job and would have the best shot at putting a winner on the field.

There are suggestions that McKay will try to swing hires for the GM and Head Coach positions who will fail in order to be able to say "I told you so" to Blank.

From everything I've heard and read and seen of McKay, his integrity is not up for dispute. Say anything you want about his abilities, but to imply that he would act in a dishonest manner without having a shred of proof to back it up is just plain wrong.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. We're supposed to be talking about football here, not making snide and suspicious comments about a man's character when there are no indications that he has problems in that regard.

Direwolf

Completely agree with you here. A lot of our fans love to hate and you would think they would beat McKay up with a baseball bat if they seen him out in the streets. You can question his decisions all you want, but he hasn't given anyone any reason to question him as a person.

direwolf (1/7/2008)

Direwolf

OK...

So the fact that McKay ducks and dodges any and all opportunity to answer questions and thereby clear the air unless Arthur Blank is standing next to him to deflect the attention away from him is merely a coincidence?? :Whistling:

Where's the beef? :pinch:

Smashmouth (1/7/2008)
direwolf (1/7/2008)

Direwolf

OK...

So the fact that McKay ducks and dodges any and all opportunity to answer questions and thereby clear the air unless Arthur Blank is standing next to him to deflect the attention away from him is merely a coincidence?? :Whistling:

Where's the beef? :pinch:

Well, first, can you give examples of when that's happened? I don't recall many press conferences with McKay where Blank WASN'T right there, so I must have missed the ones where he was by himself and didn't answer questions. That's certainly possible; I don't watch each and every press conference. I just don't have any knowledge of a time when McKay got in front of the media and dodged questions.

Second, what would that have to do with his integrity and with bringing in the best possible candidate? So he doesn't want to discuss each intricate and involved detail of the workings of the football team with people who've never worked in that environment and likely don't have the faintest idea of how an NFL franchise really works (though they certainly THINK they do). Big deal. I'm not concerned about that. Nobody accused Mora of having poor integrity and he was NOTORIOUS for not answering questions and for his "bunker mentality" (I had to put up with more complaining about that from John Kincade when I worked at 680).

Third, think about this logically. What would make McKay look better? Advising the owner in bringing in a GM and head coach who will succeed and bring the team back from the brink of oblivion even though he's been stripped of his football duties (showing that he's focused on the main goal rather than personal ego), or advising the owner to bring in another failure at head coach, plus a failure at GM to boot? Bear in mind, this is a league where NOTHING goes unreported. If McKay deliberately set out to screw the Falcons, SOMEONE would find out about it and that would be that for McKay.

Not only do I think that people are unfairly casting aspersions on McKay's character, I think it's absurd even to consider that he would deliberately try to sabotage the search just to say, "I told you so".

Direwolf

I figured these boards out YEARS ago Dire. When you bring together a plethora of fans it's ALWAYS the disenchanted ones who stick out the most. The ones who make the most noise NEED someone to blame to validate themselves for being unhappy. Common sense and logic are put aside in an attempt to justify having someone to point a finger at.

Through the process of elimination Mckay is the only one left to blame.

No matter who we hire as the next GM or HC they are by default the next on the list.

Ken Radcliff (1/7/2008)
I figured these boards out YEARS ago Dire. When you bring together a plethora of fans it's ALWAYS the disenchanted ones who stick out the most. The ones who make the most noise NEED someone to blame to validate themselves for being unhappy. Common sense and logic are put aside in an attempt to justify having someone to point a finger at.

Through the process of elimination Mckay is the only one left to blame.

No matter who we hire as the next GM or HC they are by default the next on the list.

Oh, I know. And, for the most part, I have no problem with it as long as it's kept to football discussion. That's why we're here after all, whether I agree with everyone or not.

I just think it's pretty uncool to attack a guy's character without having some proof of wrongdoing.

Direwolf

direwolf (1/7/2008)
Well, first, can you give examples of when that's happened? I don't recall many press conferences with McKay where Blank WASN'T right there, so I must have missed the ones where he was by himself and didn't answer questions. That's certainly possible; I don't watch each and every press conference. I just don't have any knowledge of a time when McKay got in front of the media and dodged questions.

Second, what would that have to do with his integrity and with bringing in the best possible candidate? So he doesn't want to discuss each intricate and involved detail of the workings of the football team with people who've never worked in that environment and likely don't have the faintest idea of how an NFL franchise really works (though they certainly THINK they do). Big deal. I'm not concerned about that. Nobody accused Mora of having poor integrity and he was NOTORIOUS for not answering questions and for his "bunker mentality" (I had to put up with more complaining about that from John Kincade when I worked at 680).

Third, think about this logically. What would make McKay look better? Advising the owner in bringing in a GM and head coach who will succeed and bring the team back from the brink of oblivion even though he's been stripped of his football duties (showing that he's focused on the main goal rather than personal ego), or advising the owner to bring in another failure at head coach, plus a failure at GM to boot? Bear in mind, this is a league where NOTHING goes unreported. If McKay deliberately set out to screw the Falcons, SOMEONE would find out about it and that would be that for McKay.

Not only do I think that people are unfairly casting aspersions on McKay's character, I think it's absurd even to consider that he would deliberately try to sabotage the search just to say, "I told you so".

Direwolf

I responded point for point but that lame time expired message came up when I tried to post it. So I'll simply say...

Bottomline...............

Maybe McKay just don't have what it takes to successfully pick his replacement based on his past moves, no malice intended. Ever think about that?

Why take that chance particularly on the heels of the Pretendo disaster if past experience is to be wisdom eventually??

It's probably not a good idea to blindly follow a mysterious leader with no clue...

McKay has exposed himself as a charlatan. Him just being here is a detriment to the team going forward. Authur should have made a clean break and hired someone else to be the team president and that guy should hire the GM and coach. My level of trust for McKay is non-existant and it's slowly dwindling as far as Arthur is concerned as well. The entire power stucture needs to be changed from the top down. Arthur needs to back away and let his football people make football decisions.

As was pointed out, since we all see that McKay is going to be a part of the decision, it would do harm to him future in the NFL to put an unqualified person into the GM role.

And it was pointed out that maybe he wasn't capable of that decision. Well, number one, it isn't just his decision to make. I am sure others will be involved. And secondly, all of the people we have interviewed for the GM job thus far seem to be very viable and qualified candidates.

Not questioning McKay's integrity, etc., but I also think Blank shouldn't even be letting him whisper in his ear about any football decision. I'm sure he was paying his consultant, but haven't heard anything from that consultant in awhile.

Here's to Blank letting the new regime have most of the power without much input from Blank.

Smashmouth (1/7/2008)
direwolf (1/7/2008)

Direwolf

I responded point for point but that lame time expired message came up when I tried to post it. So I'll simply say...

Bottomline...............

Maybe McKay just don't have what it takes to successfully pick his replacement based on his past moves, no malice intended. Ever think about that?

Why take that chance particularly on the heels of the Pretendo disaster if past experience is to be wisdom eventually??

It's probably not a good idea to blindly follow a mysterious leader with no clue...

I agree with this......I think McKay is a straightshooter and honest guy, too Direwolf. I also think McKay was major upgrade(at the time) over what Falcons had at GM. McKay has done admirable job in the draft and his communication skills are the best in the industry.

Having said all of that, here's the big "but" coming......McKay blew two coaching hires and he blew a hole in the salary cap and was failure in free agency - all things that have damaged the franchise. I don't think he "stood up" to Blank enough in many areas - Blank needs to be "reigned in" from time-to-time because when he wants a player - he tends to overpay - the Vick signing is a perfect example. Falcons controlled Vick's rights for another two years when they signed him to that ridiculous extension and even more w/ franchise tag. Vick came off the one good year and the NFC Championship and they overpaid him which was an emotional and not fiscal decision - McKay should have stopped it (if Blank idea) or never initiated it if it was his idea - yes, I wanted Vick to remain a Falcon but he has never been a "sure-fire" player even when his star was shining brite.

So, McKay deserved to be fired..........and, why is he still here other than Blank likes him and does not have the heart to fire McKay?

McKay has influenced two poor head coaching hires already - do we want him to influence the new GM hire(because he failed) and influence another coaching hire?

No freaking way!

stoned_jc7 (1/7/2008)

As was pointed out, since we all see that McKay is going to be a part of the decision, it would do harm to him future in the NFL to put an unqualified person into the GM role.

Funny thing is...

In his case it could do his reputation harm if he/we/whosoever did find a qualified candidate.

And it was pointed out that maybe he wasn't capable of that decision. Well, number one, it isn't just his decision to make.

I am sure others will be involved.

And secondly, all of the people we have interviewed for the GM job thus far seem to be very viable and qualified candidates.

Maybe...

But if that person will have to answer directly to Mckay the potential to get uncomfortable and breed disaster for both could be overwhelming for both imo.

Not that it will, but past experience certainly say's it could.

direwolf (1/7/2008)

I almost posted a message to this effect over the weekend. Anyone who has followed McKay's career knows he is one of the good people in football. He was born to the game, and he has stressed character in all of his personnel moves in both tenures. If you don't like his roster moves, that's fine, but the bitchy criticisms about him being some sort of weasel are as far off-base as notions that Uwe Boll is a good director.