It's funny how so many people can be heavily influenced in thier opinions of prospects by 1 Bowl game

halsey

A couple of weeks ago many people were taliking about how Colt Brennan would be a great second round pick. After playing in the Sugar Bowl and having Marcus Howard and company in his face all game nobody in saying a word. Why? Most likely because people taking him up had hardly seen him play, if at all, and were going by his press and stats. Now there's a lot of talk about Chad Henne who looked great vs Florida while not getting pressured much in the pocket. Am I saying I know how good these guys will be? Nope. Maybe Colt would have looked much better without so much pressure in his face and vice versa with Henne. I'm just saying that if your opinion is heavily influenced by one game, you probably didn't know the player that well to begin with. So many fans these day think they are draft experts because they watch games on TV and read websites.

an on this note: Henne and Brennan provided great examples of what a huge difference pass protection makes for a QB.

Please go back to TATF where you belong Halsey...

I find it ironic that you come here and spew this garbage constantly, when just about every thread you've ever written has been owned time and time again... I dont know how old you are, but these threads are nothing but an attention seeking project to you; and that is the reason i hardly ever respond to these teenage rants that you call posts...

Every now and again you come here and constructively post, but that is an absolute rarity... Most of the time its horse ##### like this... Does it really bother you that much, that posters have favorite players and often have biased opinions? Get over IT, and yourself...

1989fan (1/7/2008)
I been calling Henne a better pro prospect than Brennan from the day draft talk started up this season. :)

unfortunatley because of our season the draft talk started very very early this year.

I've never really been a fan of henne, i've felt it is very inconsistent. i wouldn't object to him in the late second to early third, but since we won't be picking in the late second iand i don't expect henne to make it into the third, i can't say i want us to pick him up.

i also really like brennan. his stats and hype were way overrated because of his system, but he has measurables you look for in a pro-qb. he has a tremendously strong arm, quick release, freakishly accurate(this is the part i like the most), and can put great touch on the pass. even in the ga game, there were a few passes that he dropped beautifully over the defender right in the recievers hands on a deep fade route.

that being said, i wouldn't want brennan anywhere before the 4th or 5th as a project that doesn't bother you if it doesn't work out.

1989fan (1/7/2008)
I been calling Henne a better pro prospect than Brennan from the day draft talk started up this season. :)

I'm right there with ya 89. I made an early mock(weeks ago) that had the Falcons taking Henne in the 3rd and most around here thought I was smokin' rock or somethin'.

The game didn't change my opinion much, I still think Brennan is a great player.

But after the game, Goosedaddy started a thread where he "called me out" and called me stupid, a fool, an idiot, and stupid a few more times. The admins completely ignored it, and that's cool, I guess the COC is no longer in effect.

But very few people want to have a conversation like that, so if you are wondering why people stopped talking, I am sure that has something to do with it.

Well, in many cases, this will be the last game a prospect plays before they move on to the pro's....you would expect them to show up. Also, most of the teams from smaller conferences are playing rather better competition than they are used to, so you get to see how good players react competing against players as good or better than them, something they'll see in the pro's...and qb's especially, how they react to a faster speed of play....Brennan didn't react very well. Yes, anybody would look bad under that pass rush.....but after he got hit a few times, he got happy feet and his accuracy degraded........he didn't show terrific armstrength or decisionmaking.....and he didn't even look competitive.....He didn't have any pocket prescence, and very little mobillity.....he's still a decent prospect, but those people who thought he was a great qb were wrong....anyone can tear up Charleston Southern and the WAC.....especially in that system......

1989fan (1/7/2008)

You can track my post as far back as you like......I've said Brennen isn't a Pro QB from since the first time I saw him play and I've been going back and forth between Henne and Flacco in the second round for months....(Henne for Longer)

I would say that I am very proud of the knowledge the average person on this board has about the NFL Draft. Of Course their are some people who will just chase stats and go by what experts say but not many.

There are alot of intellegent people in the Draft and FA forum

The thing that has concerned me about Brennan from the beginning is how slight he appears to be. If he doesn't hit the weight room in a serious way and put on 20-30 lbs. he is going to get killed in the NFL, regardless of what team he ends up on....

I like his quick release...the slight sidearm delivery doesn't bother me all that much....his arm strength seems adequate enough for the NFL.

If you're going to use the competition argument against Brennan, shouldn't the same standards be applied to Flacco...if not moreso?

gritblitzer (1/7/2008)
The thing that has concerned me about Brennan from the beginning is how slight he appears to be. If he doesn't hit the weight room in a serious way and put on 20-30 lbs. he is going to get killed in the NFL, regardless of what team he ends up on....

I like his quick release...the slight sidearm delivery doesn't bother me all that much....his arm strength seems adequate enough for the NFL.

If you're going to use the competition argument against Brennan, shouldn't the same standards be applied to Flacco...if not moreso?

i agree with you and 1989fan when it comes to brennan looking frail, and not enjoying being hit. although i don't think any qb likes being hit, brennan shys away from it, where as you take favre, brady, big ben, etc....tend to stand in the pocket and take the big hit to make sure the pass is completed.

the competition argument has never been my knock on brennan, and i would actually like flacco. i just think brennan would be worth taking a chance on as a developmental qb in the 5th round or later. that way, your not hurt if he doesn't work out and you don't have to worry about wether or not he'll be labeled a bust. i said it in an earlier post, he has the measurables and good nfl qb qualities, but he would ONLY be worth a very late pick as possible training camp competition or development longshot.

I don't know that much about Henne but I've watched Brennan play a bunch of times over hte past 2 years and I think anyone else who has knows that he is a LOT better than the Sugar Bowl would lead us to believe. Peyton Manning or Tom Brady wouldn't have done anything with that awful Hawaii OL. They were just outmatched and Colt had 1.5 seconds to get the ball out of his hand. He was sacked 8 times and hit 14 times and he only played like 3 quarters, that says it all.

I agree with your post though. This is such a "what have you done for me lately" kind of board. It seems like people only look at the past week to judge a player. Another example of this would be the D. Hall bashing. Here's how it went on the message board:

D. Hall yells at Petrino during Panthers game -- "Hall is the worst corner ever, trade him, he is a cancer."

Petrino quits, D. Hall was right, he emerges as a leader in the locker room -- "I'm so glad we have D. Hall, he is the best thing ever for this team!"

D. Hall says that he will not play another losing season in Atlanta and he's waiting for the coaching hire -- "D. Hall needs to be traded."

The people here are unbelievably fickle.

falconva7 (1/7/2008)
I don't know that much about Henne but I've watched Brennan play a bunch of times over hte past 2 years and I think anyone else who has knows that he is a LOT better than the Sugar Bowl would lead us to believe. Peyton Manning or Tom Brady wouldn't have done anything with that awful Hawaii OL. They were just outmatched and Colt had 1.5 seconds to get the ball out of his hand. He was sacked 8 times and hit 14 times and he only played like 3 quarters, that says it all.

That number keeps getting smaller and smaller each time some one comes on here to defend Brennan. The Dawgs only rushed 3 or 4 DL the whole night long. Willie Martinez just tighten down his secondary, which pretty much neutralized the quick strike of the run and shoot offense.

freakyfalcon (1/7/2008)
falconva7 (1/7/2008)

That number keeps getting smaller and smaller each time some one comes on here to defend Brennan. The Dawgs only rushed 3 or 4 DL the whole night long. Willie Martinez just tighten down his secondary, which pretty much neutralized the quick strike of the run and shoot offense.

Even when they rushed 3 there was a guy in his face before he even got the snap. Did you watch the game? They could've rushed 1 and gotten in his face. The Hawaii offensive line was just overmatched talent-wise. Georgia has much better athletes on their DL.