FALCONS FIASCO CREATING A BUZZ - PFT Editorial...

This is obviously a 'conjecture piece', but I do think it brings up some significant and valid points and concerns.

FALCONS FIASCO CREATING A BUZZ - from PFT

There's more and more talk in league circles regarding the mess that is unfolding in Atlanta.

And not much of it is good.

Based on everything we know about the pro football business, the Falcons are going about it all wrong. Why? Let us begin to count some of the ways.

First, taking nine persons to the interviews of G.M. and head-coaching candidates is extremely unconventional. And counterproductive. Especially if any members of the search party will report to the next G.M. Would former Dolphins G.M. Randy Mueller or coach Cam Cameron have given Bill Parcells a thumb's-up to be V.P. of football operations?

Second, there's talk that the Falcons are requiring the interviewees to take I.Q. tests. Though it arguably makes sense for front-office employees to be treated no differently than players, all of whom take the Wonderlic test, folks who have been working in the football industry in other towns presumably have sufficient smarts to continue to do so in Atlanta.

Third, there's a rumor making the rounds that consultant Ernie Accorsi has bailed on the process because of its disjointed nature.

Fourth, there's talk that Colts assistant G.M. Chris Polian pulled out of his own interview because of concerns that the next G.M. won't truly have control over the football operations. There's another line of thinking, however, that Polian has been promised the G.M. gig in Indy after his father, Bill, retires.

Fifth, the nine-person caravan continues to interview coaches before hiring a G.M. And that makes zero sense.

Sixth, the process of search for a G.M. has omitted more recognizable names like Floyd Reese and Charley Casserly and Tom Donahoe. Could it be that Rich McKay, the former G.M. who inexplicably has received a contract extension to remain as team president, doesn't want someone who might see through the charade and insist on McKay getting McShoe?

Seventh, as the Patriots attempt to become the first team in league history to go 19-0, is there any discernable reason why the Falcons haven't made a run at V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli, who could leave if he so desires because he doesn't have final say in New England? Perhaps McKay fears that Pioli might follow the lead of his father-in-law, Bill Parcells, and fire everyone.

With all that said, Eagles G.M. Tom Heckert could get the gig soon, if he's willing not to clean house. But will Heckert's hire arise from the fact that he's the best guy to clean up McKay's mess, or because he's the biggest name from the crop of G.M. Lite candidates that the Falcons have identified?

Heckert, of course, should be comfortable with the role of G.M. Lite, since he's operated in that capacity for a couple of years in Philly. And even if he gets final say on paper in Atlanta, the reality is that he'll need to have McKay's blessing for every move that's made. Otherwise, McKay will be able to criticize Heckert's moves to Blank if/when things don't go well.

And the one sure thing here is that if the the next G.M. doesn't kowtow to McKay, the next G.M. will be in McKay's crosshairs. In most NFL cities, owners commiserate with front-office employees with far less objective credentials than McKay. In Atlanta, Blank can park his butt in McKay's office, and vice-versa, if/when the moves of the next G.M. don't help the team to dig out of its funk.

Unless those moves are all approved by McKay.

There's the fundamental problem. Demoting McKay isn't enough. Blank needs to let him go, and then Blank should rely on Accorsi or some other experienced front-office person to help the franchise hire the best available person to whom the keys to the car can be entrusted. Then, Blank needs to get out of the way.

It won't happen. And that means that the Falcons aren't likely to get much better.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BlacksburgHokie (1/6/2008)
FalconMama (1/6/2008)
IF THIS ARTICLE IS INDEED TRUE then one should never wonder again why the Falcons are what they are.

I sure hope that this article is full of lies and garbage.

Please?

wouldn't surprise me at all. Even PFT in the article says stuff like "another rumor flying around," they aren't credible at all.

BlacksburgHokie (1/6/2008)
FalconMama (1/6/2008)
IF THIS ARTICLE IS INDEED TRUE then one should never wonder again why the Falcons are what they are.

I sure hope that this article is full of lies and garbage.

Please?

Well......we knew about the 9-person search party....and we know McKay got an extension and raise while relinquishing half his duties ( :crying: )..........heaven help us.

A couple of opinions about the points made in this piece:

1) The part about McKay is spot on. Whatever you think about the job McKay has done (good or bad), keeping him on is a tremendous risk due to the very reasons listed. McKay really did need to go. The closeness of Blank's & McKay's relationship is well chronicled and the fact that he recently received (or at least was offered) an extension and raise is really...awkward.

2) Our candidate list has been limited to upstart personnel guys. I'm not saying you don't hire one of them, but what about interviewing a Floyd Reese type to get a contrast of ideas and experience? Or have they (senior candidates) already snuffed out this situation?

3) Pioli - maybe this has been kept on the down low. But I agree, you've got to ask. I mean heck, if you allowed Chris Polian to decline your interview request, allow Pioli to as well.

Everything else could be optimisticly construed as thinking outside the box, pessimisticly construed as off-the wall.

rholloman (1/6/2008)
Some on here will totally discount the piece because of PFT, however, if this article is even remotely accurate, this organization is totally clueless!:crying:

Well this kind of stuff really does seem believable given Blank's record to date.

He should have just fired McKay...

There's still no resolution on the 130 million dollar man...

The Smith family is looking better all of the time.

scott24falcs (1/6/2008)
I'm calling BS on the parts about the IQ tests, and about Ernie Accorsi. I would like to know where PFT hears these "rumors."
:w00t::w00t: Could you imagine being a possible GM coming into an interview and Blank saying "would you be so kind as to complete this here wonderlic test? It'll only take about 30 minutes. Be sure to use a no.2 pencil'. :w00t::w00t::w00t:
Vicious (1/6/2008)
scott24falcs (1/6/2008)
I'm calling BS on the parts about the IQ tests, and about Ernie Accorsi. I would like to know where PFT hears these "rumors."
:w00t::w00t: Could you imagine being a possible GM coming into an interview and Blank saying "would you be so kind as to complete this here wonderlic test? It'll only take about 30 minutes. Be sure to use a no.2 pencil'. :w00t::w00t::w00t:

:laugh: Exactly. Yet people still believe the garbage PFT spits out.