The Case of McKenzie v McKay. Long read perhaps.

deester11

A dissection of what we are During McKay. 2007 picks that played and look like players are Laurent Robinson, Stephen Nicholas, Martrez Milner David Irons and Darren Stone. Snelling looks good too. Not too shabby realistically speaking. However before that:

2 - Jimmy Williams, DB Virginia Tech - Jury is out. Last season to impress?

3 - Jerious Norwood, RB Mississippi State - Great back for 10 touches. Durability issues?

5 - Quinn Ojinnaka, T Syracuse - Meh

6 - Adam Jennings, WR Fresno State - Meh (Returner - Meh)

7 - D.J. Shockley, QB Georgia - Jury Still out

1 - Roddy White, WR Alabama-Birmingham - Good player.

2 - Jonathan Babineaux, DT Iowa - Flashes

3 - Jordan Beck, LB Cal Poly - Meh. Disappointment

4 - Chauncey Davis, DE Florida State - Flashes. Meh mostly.

5 - Michael Boley, LB Southern Mississippi - STUD.

5 - Frank Omiyale, T Tennessee Tech - Meh

6 - Deandra Cobb, RB Michigan State - What?

7 - Darrell Shropshire, DT South Carolina

1 - DeAngelo Hall, DB Virginia Tech - STUD with a mouth to match.

1 - Michael Jenkins, WR Ohio State - Meh..Traded up for him

3 - Matt Schaub, QB Virginia - Solid. Served his purpose.

4 - Demorrio Williams, LB Nebraska - Flashes.

5 - Chad Lavalais, DT Louisiana State - Meh. Disappointment

6 - Etric Pruitt, DB Southern Mississippi - Meh

7 - Quincy Wilson, RB West Virginia - Meh

**Breakdown. McKay did draft starters every year. But the Pro Bowl players are: D.Hall, Roddy (on his way with consistency), and Boley (should have been. That's 3 top players in 3 drafts. Other than that you have flashes and not a lot of substance. Is that a good ratio or what?

This is why we routinely suck more often than not (this was one year before McKay):

2003 - ONE PLAYER OUT OF THE BUNCH - Justin Griffith

2 - Bryan Scott DB Penn State

4 - Justin Griffith RB Mississippi State

5 - Jon Olinger, WR Cincinnati

6 - LaTarence Dunbar, WR Texas Christian

6 - Waine Bacon, DB Alabama

7 - Demetrin Veal, DE Tennessee

NOW, LET US DISSECT THE FRONT RUNNER: REGGIE MCKENZIE, Green Bay

Over the last two years alone (2007 and 2006), McKenzie and company drafted:

AJ Hawk - Starting LB (Good player),

Daryn Colledge (Starting Left Guard),

Greg Jennings - Starting WR (Favre favorite),

Jason Spitz - Starting RG (Solid),

Aaron Rouse - Back up FS (Great potential),

Justin Harrell - Backup DT chosen this year after injuries,

James Jones - WR Backs up Donald Driver,

Mason Crosby - K. WOW. Could have grabbed him.

Ideally, any draft should produce solid starters and depth. I really like what McKenzie did in two years vs what we've done in four under McKay. The Jury is out on this year as Blalock I think is going to be good, Houston progressed and the players mentioned earlier. The separation is in Free Agent Acquisitions. Green Bay is loaded with smart signing such as Charles Woodson, and getting production from Ryan Pickett. I cringe to name the Falcons FA's. So......

In the grand scheme of things, who has done the better job?

I am a McKay supporter. I think he takes a lot of heat for decisions that made a lot of sense at the time. I think McKay is an excellent drafter, and our drafts, with the exception on one, have been very good.

If you want to see what Reggie McKenzie has done with GB, you shouldn't look at their drafts. Since McKenzie was in charge of GB's pro portion of the personnel department, you should look at players GB has acquired through FA, NFL Europe, the CFL, etc. With the exception of Woodson, that list is nothing special. However, a large part of that is due to the Packers being forced to give money to Favre, Ahman Green, Chad Clifton, Nick Barnett, KGB, etc., etc. Also, the Packers are beginning to do what most organizations should do, build through the draft, and use FA to fill minor needs, and build depth.

I agree with that assessment for sure. I think losing Ruskell really hurt more to me. McKay has only missed on linemen and some WR's. I just don't know anymore. The coaching and free agent acquisitions are so bad though that he is accountable for that. Two bad coaching decisions that he was heavily responsible for. Give and take? Maybe if we keep McKay away from pro personnnel?

deester11 (1/6/2008)
I agree with that assessment for sure. I think losing Ruskell really hurt more to me. McKay has only missed on linemen and some WR's. I just don't know anymore. The coaching and free agent acquisitions are so bad though that he is accountable for that. Two bad coaching decisions that he was heavily responsible for. Give and take? Maybe if we keep McKay away from pro personnnel?

I don't know. It would be nice to have a tag-team so to speak, of McKenzie and McKay. Let McKay draft players, and let McKenzie focus on signing FAs, and such. McKay to me is valuable simply because of his drafting, and his ability to handle finances, freeing up money for us to spend on key areas. Obviously it will most likely be McKenzie's job to handle drafting and signing free agents, but I don't think you can ever have too many good NFL minds. And yes, I think McKay classifies as one.

As far as the coaching decisions, it's debateable on who is to blame for the whole Mora/Petrino fiasco. I've heard people say that McKay was in favor of Lovie Smith, while Blank was in favor of Mora. If that is indeed the case, which we'll never know, than McKay shouldn't get blamed for that one.

The Petrino signing is a different story. At the time, I thought he was exactly what we needed, an offensive mastermind, someone that could make Vick great, and someone that would carry more of a disciplinary style. With that said, his snake-like track record, and bad communication skills should have pushed him aside with the rest of the candidates. So I do think McKay deserves a good bit of blame after that hire.

scott24falcs (1/6/2008)
deester11 (1/6/2008)

I don't know. It would be nice to have a tag-team so to speak, of Heckert and McKay. Let McKay draft players, and let Heckert focus on signing FAs, and such. McKay to me is valuable simply because of his drafting, and his ability to handle finances, freeing up money for us to spend on key areas. Obviously it will most likely be Heckert's job to handle drafting and signing free agents, but I don't think you can ever have too many good NFL minds. And yes, I think McKay classifies as one.

As far as the coaching decisions, it's debateable on who is to blame for the whole Mora/Petrino fiasco. I've heard people say that McKay was in favor of Lovie Smith, while Blank was in favor of Mora. If that is indeed the case, which we'll never know, than McKay shouldn't get blamed for that one.

The Petrino signing is a different story. At the time, I thought he was exactly what we needed, an offensive mastermind, someone that could make Vick great, and someone that would carry more of a disciplinary style. With that said, his snake-like track record, and bad communication skills should have pushed him aside with the rest of the candidates. So I do think McKay deserves a good bit of blame after that hire.

Mckay can draft esp. from 3rd and below. we should have mckay with drafting, and i think herbert could do FA.

GEORGIAfan (1/6/2008)
scott24falcs (1/6/2008)
deester11 (1/6/2008)

I don't know. It would be nice to have a tag-team so to speak, of Heckert and McKay. Let McKay draft players, and let Heckert focus on signing FAs, and such. McKay to me is valuable simply because of his drafting, and his ability to handle finances, freeing up money for us to spend on key areas. Obviously it will most likely be Heckert's job to handle drafting and signing free agents, but I don't think you can ever have too many good NFL minds. And yes, I think McKay classifies as one.

Mckay can draft esp. from 3rd and below. we should have mckay with drafting, and i think herbert could do FA.

LOL Herbert. I know what you meant though. For the record, I meant McKenzie and not Heckert. I edited my post, but it was too late.