Why I Want Singletary...

mrs falcon, i enjoy actually getting to discuss this with people who don't lower themselves to silly name calling. That's what a message board is for, if for people of different backgrounds to come and share ideas and opinions. I respect your, DBG, and Vicious's opinion very much, so if i come off as talking down to you i apologize, i do not intend to.

Honestly, i would like Jim Caldwell from Indy. Tony Dungy is a man who i have the utmost respect for. To pull someone from his tree that Dungy fully endorses (has been quoted as to saying Caldwell will be a great coach in this league) would do wonders for this franchise in the long run.

See Tony Dungy is the kind of guy who can have the cream of the crop when it comes to his staff. He has built that kind of name for himself.

Singletary is a great man, great motivator, was a great player, and has determination and persistance to strive for excellence in everything he does. If he puts his mind to it, I have no doubt in my mind that he will be a great coach in this league. My question with Singletary is "Is he ready to take over an entire team as HC"? It really takes a whole lot to be a HC.

joremari (1/6/2008)
Vicious (1/6/2008)

So using your logic we should have won the Super Bowl this year because Petrino was a successful Head Coach who was also a good coordinator. He knows his x's and o's inside out. What went wrong? The players didn't want to play for him, that's what. I would much rather have a guy who can bring out the best in everyone and get them ready to take a bullet for him than someone who is genius but can't get his guys motivated to play.

I never said X's and O's automatically equals SB. And in fact, i was against the BP hiring from day one. it was kinda obvious, i mean he left UL high and dry, never coached anywhere for awhile, the vets were turning on him, the actual change in workload from being a college HC compared to being a pro coach, and the historical lack of success of college coaches in the NFL. Plus, the spread offense doesn't work in the NFL unless your talent is that far ahead of everyone elses (there is too much speed in the NFL).

I never liked the Petrino hire.

Hiring Singletary just reeks of yet another experimentation move. I'm sure he will be a great coach on day, based on his desire and determination in himself and in his faith, but i don't know that he is ready to be a HC right now. There is alot more to being a HC then most of us think. (Seems like NFL HCs always appear to be older then they really are, take andy reid for example, while college coaches appear to be younger then they really are, Mark Richt, Urban Meyer, etc). I don't know that Singletary is ready to be a HC. He has only been in coaching, in any capacity at the pro level for 5 years. And on top of that, he hasn't really had much success yet in the two different places he has been.

Like i said, bring him in and try promoting him to DC. See how he handles that.

If we were to hire anyone else then I wouldn't mind bringing him in as DC Asst HC. Only is Zimmer leaves though because I have to give Zimmer some props.

yeah man, you gotta give Zimmer his props. He has done a great job as our DC. Not to get off topic, but i am kinda disappointed in what could have been had kept Kerney and drafted Willis instead of anderson. We would have been absolutely sick on defense. But i think Blank told Zimmer to look elsewhere for work.

I would love to have Singletary on staff, but I would want one of two things from our next HC. Either a strong history of loyalty and success coaching at the pro level or an endorsement from one of the great coaches of the day. Dungy knows if he endorses Caldwell, he is putting his reputation on the line. To me at least, Dungy wouldn't say what he said about Caldwell if he was the type of guy that will pull a Petrino on us.

Again, I know Singletary has the determination, drive, and faith in himself to be great at whatever he wants to be, but you gotta pay your dues for a reason. Bring him in as DC, let him get his time in, and then when he is ready to move to HC reevaluate where you are at that point.

Say what you want about Jim Mora, Jr, but the guy is a really good coach. He is just the prime example of what happens when you make a HC a HC before he is ready. Jim Mora was not ready to be a HC. He made a lot of mistakes that showed he was not ready. But that doesn't change the fact that Jim Mora is a good coach. He learned from his mistakes and will get another chance to lead a team, probably sooner then later. And when he does get that chance, he will be a better coach.

I just don't want to make another mistake like that.

joremari (1/6/2008)
yeah man, you gotta give Zimmer his props. He has done a great job as our DC. Not to get off topic, but i am kinda disappointed in what could have been had kept Kerney and drafted Willis instead of anderson. We would have been absolutely sick on defense. But i think Blank told Zimmer to look elsewhere for work.

I would love to have Singletary on staff, but I would want one of two things from our next HC. Either a strong history of loyalty and success coaching at the pro level or an endorsement from one of the great coaches of the day. Dungy knows if he endorses Caldwell, he is putting his reputation on the line. To me at least, Dungy wouldn't say what he said about Caldwell if he was the type of guy that will pull a Petrino on us.

Again, I know Singletary has the determination, drive, and faith in himself to be great at whatever he wants to be, but you gotta pay your dues for a reason. Bring him in as DC, let him get his time in, and then when he is ready to move to HC reevaluate where you are at that point.

Say what you want about Jim Mora, Jr, but the guy is a really good coach. He is just the prime example of what happens when you make a HC a HC before he is ready. Jim Mora was not ready to be a HC. He made a lot of mistakes that showed he was not ready. But that doesn't change the fact that Jim Mora is a good coach. He learned from his mistakes and will get another chance to lead a team, probably sooner then later. And when he does get that chance, he will be a better coach.

I just don't want to make another mistake like that.

The only thing I do not like about Caldwell is his past record as a head coach.

DerrtyBirdGirl (1/6/2008)
First off, I would rather have Marty or Cowher over Mike Singletary. But since their not going to come here we have to move on. I hear people around the boards saying that we need Marty. Well, their right. I also need some cash to pay for my tuition lol...but Im not getting it anytime soon...for now. But we can't do much if these guys don't want to be here. The main reason why I am on the Singletary wagon is because He can MOTIVATE our guys to play. You can have all the talent in the world, and great playcalling but if your guys don't want to play...then 100% won't be given on the field. Especially with the situation the falcons are in. People have turned their backs, and walked out on us (Quitrino). I know I wouldn't be motivated to play. I mean why? You don't know if your next guy is going to walk out on you. The Parcells deal fell through. No one really wants to come here. Marty said it wouldn't be a good spot. But if you have a guy, who WANTS to come here and can gain the respect of the players why not? If Singletary gets the right coordinators around him, I think he will be fine. If he could get Rex Ryan at DC or any credible DC and OC..we can and probably will succeed. Our team is MESSED UP! Who wants to invest in a shack when you can go to a house? Thats why Marty is interviewing with Baltimore...I can't blame him. He isn't getting younger, and we are in rebuilding mode. He wants to coach a team that is championship caliber. Maybe in a year or so for us, but not now. Thats why I think Mike Singletary is the better option. This is just MY OPINION so Im not saying its LAW! All I am saying is, we just have to stop saying "lets get Marty" and "Lets get Cowher" because they have already declined.

GO Falcons!!!

- I feel that Cowher is many people's top choice but as you said it isn't happining.

- Marty? At his age doesn't have time to completly rebuild a team. I agree w/you.

Singletary is my top choice not only for just the reason you said but also because he has actually played in this league, knows what it takes to win...in this league, knows how to handle NFL players, demands respect, and wants to come here.

Great post!...and very logical.

HC - Singletary

DC - Rivera

scott24falcs (1/6/2008)
I fail to believe that Jim Mora Jr. was a great coach. Great coaches don't have their players quit on them 2 years in a row. Great coaches have the ability to make adjustments in-game, something Mora couldn't do. JMO.

i think his downfall was more of his loyalty to donatell and knapp. I don't think the players quit on him, the injury bug killed us, especially on defense. Mora was the only falcons coach, ever, to have a winning record as head coach.

joremari (1/6/2008)
scott24falcs (1/6/2008)
I fail to believe that Jim Mora Jr. was a great coach. Great coaches don't have their players quit on them 2 years in a row. Great coaches have the ability to make adjustments in-game, something Mora couldn't do. JMO.

i think his downfall was more of his loyalty to donatell and knapp. I don't think the players quit on him, the injury bug killed us, especially on defense. Mora was the only falcons coach, ever, to have a winning record as head coach.

Maybe so, but as the HC, everything runs through him. He has the final say. But as you were saying, it may have been to early for him to get a shot at being a HC. Hopefully our next coach will have a little bit or everything we need to be successful.

scott24falcs (1/6/2008)
joremari (1/6/2008)
scott24falcs (1/6/2008)

Maybe so, but as the HC, everything runs through him. He has the final say. But as you were saying, it may have been to early for him to get a shot at being a HC. Hopefully our next coach will have a little bit or everything we need to be successful.

i really think so. i think he some qualities that showed he could be a good coach, but just wasn't ready. i want to make sure our next HC is ready for the job. I don't think alot of people really understand what it takes to be a NFL HC.

mrs falcon (1/6/2008)
What is that special something that he doesn't have or won't strive to acheive. I want someone for the long haul. I don't want to be doing this again a year or two from now. I would take an employee with commitment to success over a so called smart guy any day.

Lets bookmark this page and meet here again in five years and see. I hope I'm note typing remember when he WANTED to come here?

I am passionate about this team and I want someone who demonstrates the same passion.

PS I really do have a life lol

WELL SAID:)

Well you can motive me to fight Mike Tyson but it doesn't mean I'm going to kick his #####. In fact, such motivation would give me a false sense of courage to make me think "I can really do it"!

It takes more than motivation to succeed in anything. Also, the good NFL coaches are also great motivators. Mike Singletary doesn't have a monopoly on motivation.

In the end hiring Singletary is like bringing in an unproven commodity - a big gamble. If things don't go good we're stuck with him for 2-3 years. It's like making a low-mid level manager of a company a CEO over night. Sure he was a great football player but how many hall of fame superstar do you see as successful coaches in the leauge?

Some items.

The Last 10 super bowl winning coaches were all at one point coordinators at least.

The Ravens arent seeking Singletary....anyone see something there to raise a red flag?

Someone posted some quotes from a radio broadcast about the great motivational speeches Mike uses work at first but after some time they fall on deaf ears. After all, these are grown, paid pros, not college kids.

That reminds me of Jerry Glanvilles defense. First year everyone is flocking to the ball, hitting like madmen, and flying all over the place. After a while his speeches get old and the defenses flounder.

All he did ON the field has little to no bearing on his ability to coach.

Even with the defensive rookie of the year the SF defense stunk up the joint just like the Falcons did.

And, in my opinion, a vote for Singletary as coach is one done of pure heart and emotion and not of common sense and logic. How else could you truly want a man who has been a mere LB coach for a measly 5 years?

falcons4life (1/7/2008)
How else could you truly want a man who has been a mere LB coach for a measly 5 years?

'Cause I like the way he looks? lol

Cowher ain't an option. Marty ain't coming here. Sparano is going to Miami. Give me your list of viable candidates for the job that want it. Dennis Green? How about Cam Cameron? He has some HC experience!