Why I Want Singletary...

First off, I would rather have Marty or Cowher over Mike Singletary. But since their not going to come here we have to move on. I hear people around the boards saying that we need Marty. Well, their right. I also need some cash to pay for my tuition lol...but Im not getting it anytime soon...for now. But we can't do much if these guys don't want to be here. The main reason why I am on the Singletary wagon is because He can MOTIVATE our guys to play. You can have all the talent in the world, and great playcalling but if your guys don't want to play...then 100% won't be given on the field. Especially with the situation the falcons are in. People have turned their backs, and walked out on us (Quitrino). I know I wouldn't be motivated to play. I mean why? You don't know if your next guy is going to walk out on you. The Parcells deal fell through. No one really wants to come here. Marty said it wouldn't be a good spot. But if you have a guy, who WANTS to come here and can gain the respect of the players why not? If Singletary gets the right coordinators around him, I think he will be fine. If he could get Rex Ryan at DC or any credible DC and OC..we can and probably will succeed. Our team is MESSED UP! Who wants to invest in a shack when you can go to a house? Thats why Marty is interviewing with Baltimore...I can't blame him. He isn't getting younger, and we are in rebuilding mode. He wants to coach a team that is championship caliber. Maybe in a year or so for us, but not now. Thats why I think Mike Singletary is the better option. This is just MY OPINION so Im not saying its LAW! All I am saying is, we just have to stop saying "lets get Marty" and "Lets get Cowher" because they have already declined.

GO Falcons!!!

DerrtyBirdGirl (1/6/2008)
First off, I would rather have Marty or Cowher over Mike Singletary. But since their not going to come here we have to move on. I hear people around the boards saying that we need Marty. Well, their right. I also need some cash to pay for my tuition lol...but Im not getting it anytime soon...for now. But we can't do much if these guys don't want to be here. The main reason why I am on the Singletary wagon is because He can MOTIVATE our guys to play. You can have all the talent in the world, and great playcalling but if your guys don't want to play...then 100% won't be given on the field. Especially with the situation the falcons are in. People have turned their backs, and walked out on us (Quitrino). I know I wouldn't be motivated to play. I mean why? You don't know if your next guy is going to walk out on you. The Parcells deal fell through. No one really wants to come here. Marty said it wouldn't be a good spot. But if you have a guy, who WANTS to come here and can gain the respect of the players why not? If Singletary gets the right coordinators around him, I think he will be fine. If he could get Rex Ryan at DC or any credible DC and OC..we can and probably will succeed. Our team is MESSED UP! Who wants to invest in a shack when you can go to a house? Thats why Marty is interviewing with Baltimore...I can't blame him. He isn't getting younger, and we are in rebuilding mode. He wants to coach a team that is championship caliber. Maybe in a year or so for us, but not now. Thats why I think Mike Singletary is the better option. This is just MY OPINION so Im not saying its LAW! All I am saying is, we just have to stop saying "lets get Marty" and "Lets get Cowher" because they have already declined.

GO Falcons!!!

DBG, why not pull up one of your other 2 or 3 "why I want Singletary" threads instead of starting a new one!;)

GO Falcons!!!

I agree to some extent and would support Mike Singletary whole heartedly because I love the Atlanta Falcons football team dearly, that entire football team is like family to me always has been and I want what is best for the franchise. Sure our franchise is in shambles right now and at this point the Falcons are the systine chapel and the new coach in many ways will be like DaVinci, I mean where does a new coach start with this team. All of that being said I strongly feel like despite the fact that Singletary is a great motivator and truly inspirational guy the organization needs to go for an X's and O's type guy first, yes the need motivation I believe that 100% but I think Jim Caldwell could provide that just as good may be even better than Singletary. Fixing things quick isn't the answer and I'm not saying or expecting Caldwell to come in here and take us to the Super Bowl next year, but given time he will have risen this troubled franchise from the ashes and put them into the same category with other successful franchises, I could be totally wrong, I've been wrong before believe it or not but, sometimes it's better to go with a guy that knows football and how to give a great speech.

I agree, well obviously huh (see my sig!). Singletary wanting to come here tells me that he is up to the challenge. Marty and Parcells used to thrive on taking pathetic broken down teams and building them into respectable franchises. I think we would see the same kind of never quit attitude from Singletary that will rub off on the players.

WhenFalconsWin (1/6/2008)

GO Falcons!!!

DBG, why not pull up one of your other 2 or 3 "why I want Singletary" threads instead of starting a new one!;)

It's called, "blending in". We may have forgotten her stance by now. You gotta keep up with the times.

BigBird (1/6/2008)

GO Falcons!!!

I agree to some extent and would support Mike Singletary whole heartedly because I love the Atlanta Falcons football team dearly, that entire football team is like family to me always has been and I want what is best for the franchise. Sure our franchise is in shambles right now and at this point the Falcons are the systine chapel and the new coach in many ways will be like DaVinci, I mean where does a new coach start with this team. All of that being said I strongly feel like despite the fact that Singletary is a great motivator and truly inspirational guy the organization needs to go for an X's and O's type guy first, yes the need motivation I believe that 100% but I think Jim Caldwell could provide that just as good may be even better than Singletary. Fixing things quick isn't the answer and I'm not saying or expecting Caldwell to come in here and take us to the Super Bowl next year, but given time he will have risen this troubled franchise from the ashes and put them into the same category with other successful franchises, I could be totally wrong, I've been wrong before believe it or not but, sometimes it's better to go with a guy that knows football and how to give a great speech.

I concur. Knowing that Dungy believes that Caldwell is ready for the job is very encouraging. It would be interesting. I just want whats best for the team. I want a championship!

BigBird (1/6/2008)

GO Falcons!!!

I concur. Knowing that Dungy believes that Caldwell is ready for the job is very encouraging. It would be interesting. I just want whats best for the team. I want a championship!

I think either of the 2; Caldwell or Singletary would both do a great job no matter which one the Falcons pick but I'd be upset if we end up with Josh McDaniels because he is so young and a total beneficiary of Belichick's system. You know 7 years UGA hired a Bobby Bowden disciple and it's working out pretty good. I think Caldwell is nothing short of a Dungy protege and would be perfect in Atlanta.

Please

Everyone

I for one am tired of hearing Mike wants to come here- usually the most needy have the greatest desire

Baltimore and Miami look the same as Atlanta to any prospective coach- in today's NFL- the doormat of 3 years ago can be king again and vice versa.

It gets down to personalities at the top and right now Artie is the odd man out with his running buddy McKay

Miami and Parcell's are just recruiting "hot" buddies

Baltimore "looks" better because we look squirrely on top- NOT players

Because Im still trying to figure out how to use the FalconsLife features. Everytime I try to figure it out on this thing I get pissed lol...but yeah, everyone is going to have to sort of deal with it and overlook it until I figure this mess out lol..

These new boards are funky...but in the upper right hand corner you can click on recent posts or popular topics and you'll find you posts!

Because Im still trying to figure out how to use the FalconsLife features. Everytime I try to figure it out on this thing I get pissed lol...but yeah, everyone is going to have to sort of deal with it and overlook it until I figure this mess out lol..

These new boards are funky...but in the upper right hand corner you can click on recent posts or popular topics and you'll find you posts!

thanks! now I don't have to go searching around like a mad woman! lol..

Your welcome!

I want Mike Singletary because he has such passion to succeed at whatever he sets his mind to and I think he'll do whatever it takes to achieve his goal.

From football weekly 2005

"I want to be the greatest coach of all time," says Singletary. "It's no knock on anyone else--it's just like I wanted to be the greatest linebacker of all time. I had great respect for Ray Nitschke and **** Butkus and Willie Lanier, but it's just where I want to be. Whether or not I can get there is not the point. The point is that I'm striving to get there every day." football digest 2005

I believe he will work with the entire team because he wants everyone to win. As his defensive rookie of the year states,

"Nobody really sees what goes on behind the cameras, but Coach Singletary is out there every day making me a better ballplayer," Willis said.

The falcons aren't ready for the superbowl, by the time some of you think Singletary is ready we won't be able to get him. I'm willing to see this team and Singletary grow together.

mrs falcon (1/6/2008)
I want Mike Singletary because he has such passion to succeed at whatever he sets his mind to and I think he'll do whatever it takes to achieve his goal.

From football weekly 2005

"I want to be the greatest coach of all time," says Singletary. "It's no knock on anyone else--it's just like I wanted to be the greatest linebacker of all time. I had great respect for Ray Nitschke and **** Butkus and Willie Lanier, but it's just where I want to be. Whether or not I can get there is not the point. The point is that I'm striving to get there every day." football digest 2005

I believe he will work with the entire team because he wants everyone to win. As his defensive rookie of the year states,

"Nobody really sees what goes on behind the cameras, but Coach Singletary is out there every day making me a better ballplayer," Willis said.

The falcons aren't ready for the superbowl, by the time some of you think Singletary is ready we won't be able to get him. I'm willing to see this team and Singletary grow together.

bravo! lol..but yeah..totally agree.

You can also click on search and type in your username and it will give you results of posts you started and some you've been to.

it's gotta be more then "he can motivate people". There has to be alot more to hiring your next coach then that. Being a NFL coach is a whole lot more then catch phrases and post game conferences.

You say we can be successful if you can get great coordinators, isn't that true of anyone? That's not a reason to hire Singletary.

I would love to believe in Singletary. I really would. It would be a great story, but can't we come up with a better reason to hire someone other then he is a motivator? Like someone said in another thread, if we are looking for a motivator first, then why not get Tony Robbins, the best in the business, and surround him with great coordinators?

These aren't college kids we are dealing with, we are dealing with professionals. If you have to question a professional's motivation, then maybe they need to get out of the game. College kids and high school kids, need motivation and a role model, professionals shouldn't.

Im not anti-Singletary, i would love to bring him in under some capacity, maybe try him out as assistant HC or DC, but i don't know about handing over the reigns to someone with only 5 years NFL coaching experience.

It says alot that Baltimore is not pursing him. Jim Caldwell on the other hand is getting rave reviews from Dungy, who said Caldwell will be a great coach in the league. Peyton Manning endorses Caldwell for the falcons coach. I trust Dungy. Dungy is developing himself quite the coaching tree. A Dungy man is the way to go.

Just because he IS a motivator does not mean that's ALL he is. I don't think you go to ten pro bowls, win a superbowl... because you are a MOTIVATOR. Maybe its more persistence and determination, work and the desire and drive to succeed.

Don't you think he puts this same passion into everything he does?

What is that special something that he doesn't have or won't strive to acheive. I want someone for the long haul. I don't want to be doing this again a year or two from now. I would take an employee with commitment to success over a so called smart guy any day.

Lets bookmark this page and meet here again in five years and see. I hope I'm note typing remember when he WANTED to come here?

I am passionate about this team and I want someone who demonstrates the same passion.

PS I really do have a life lol

joremari (1/6/2008)
it's gotta be more then "he can motivate people". There has to be alot more to hiring your next coach then that. Being a NFL coach is a whole lot more then catch phrases and post game conferences.

You say we can be successful if you can get great coordinators, isn't that true of anyone? That's not a reason to hire Singletary.

I would love to believe in Singletary. I really would. It would be a great story, but can't we come up with a better reason to hire someone other then he is a motivator? Like someone said in another thread, if we are looking for a motivator first, then why not get Tony Robbins, the best in the business, and surround him with great coordinators?

These aren't college kids we are dealing with, we are dealing with professionals. If you have to question a professional's motivation, then maybe they need to get out of the game. College kids and high school kids, need motivation and a role model, professionals shouldn't.

Im not anti-Singletary, i would love to bring him in under some capacity, maybe try him out as assistant HC or DC, but i don't know about handing over the reigns to someone with only 5 years NFL coaching experience.

It says alot that Baltimore is not pursing him. Jim Caldwell on the other hand is getting rave reviews from Dungy, who said Caldwell will be a great coach in the league. Peyton Manning endorses Caldwell for the falcons coach. I trust Dungy. Dungy is developing himself quite the coaching tree. A Dungy man is the way to go.

So using your logic we should have won the Super Bowl this year because Petrino was a successful Head Coach who was also a good coordinator. He knows his x's and o's inside out. What went wrong? The players didn't want to play for him, that's what. I would much rather have a guy who can bring out the best in everyone and get them ready to take a bullet for him than someone who is genius but can't get his guys motivated to play.

mrs falcon (1/6/2008)
What is that special something that he doesn't have or won't strive to acheive. I want someone for the long haul. I don't want to be doing this again a year or two from now. I would take an employee with commitment to success over a so called smart guy any day.

Lets bookmark this page and meet here again in five years and see. I hope I'm note typing remember when he WANTED to come here?

I am passionate about this team and I want someone who demonstrates the same passion.

PS I really do have a life lol

do we know singletary would be here for the long haul? i mean he has never coached at one place more then 3 years.

Vicious (1/6/2008)

So using your logic we should have won the Super Bowl this year because Petrino was a successful Head Coach who was also a good coordinator. He knows his x's and o's inside out. What went wrong? The players didn't want to play for him, that's what. I would much rather have a guy who can bring out the best in everyone and get them ready to take a bullet for him than someone who is genius but can't get his guys motivated to play.

I never said X's and O's automatically equals SB. And in fact, i was against the BP hiring from day one. it was kinda obvious, i mean he left UL high and dry, never coached anywhere for awhile, the vets were turning on him, the actual change in workload from being a college HC compared to being a pro coach, and the historical lack of success of college coaches in the NFL. Plus, the spread offense doesn't work in the NFL unless your talent is that far ahead of everyone elses (there is too much speed in the NFL).

I never liked the Petrino hire.

Hiring Singletary just reeks of yet another experimentation move. I'm sure he will be a great coach on day, based on his desire and determination in himself and in his faith, but i don't know that he is ready to be a HC right now. There is alot more to being a HC then most of us think. (Seems like NFL HCs always appear to be older then they really are, take andy reid for example, while college coaches appear to be younger then they really are, Mark Richt, Urban Meyer, etc). I don't know that Singletary is ready to be a HC. He has only been in coaching, in any capacity at the pro level for 5 years. And on top of that, he hasn't really had much success yet in the two different places he has been.

Like i said, bring him in and try promoting him to DC. See how he handles that.

Who do you want joremari? Who exhibits the qualities your looking for? Everyone knows where I stand. I always look forward to the next season. Watch every minute of the draft and I would be so stoked knowing Singletary was kicking off training.

I know I'm a girl and never played so maybe you all have some insight I don't, but its not for lack of trying.

joremari (1/6/2008)
Vicious (1/6/2008)

I never said X's and O's automatically equals SB. And in fact, i was against the BP hiring from day one. it was kinda obvious, i mean he left UL high and dry, never coached anywhere for awhile, the vets were turning on him, the actual change in workload from being a college HC compared to being a pro coach, and the historical lack of success of college coaches in the NFL. Plus, the spread offense doesn't work in the NFL unless your talent is that far ahead of everyone elses (there is too much speed in the NFL).

I never liked the Petrino hire.

Hiring Singletary just reeks of yet another experimentation move. I'm sure he will be a great coach on day, based on his desire and determination in himself and in his faith, but i don't know that he is ready to be a HC right now. There is alot more to being a HC then most of us think. (Seems like NFL HCs always appear to be older then they really are, take andy reid for example, while college coaches appear to be younger then they really are, Mark Richt, Urban Meyer, etc). I don't know that Singletary is ready to be a HC. He has only been in coaching, in any capacity at the pro level for 5 years. And on top of that, he hasn't really had much success yet in the two different places he has been.

Like i said, bring him in and try promoting him to DC. See how he handles that.

I agree, What has singletary done honestly? If you look at the 49ers and they sucked and he is the asst HEAD coach, thats sad and their not motivated except patrick Willis. Singletary just sounds like another shot in the dark like Petrino. ;) Let him be a Defensive Coordianator first, I would want him more.