Orange_Crush's Mock Draft

I still stand by the fact that I think Jim Caldwell is the right coach for this team. We need offensive scheme and knowledge more than we do on defense. We also have a lot more talent on defense than we do on offense, so we need to work on putting points on the board.

I am making this mock under the assumptions that we receive a 3rd for Kerney and a 7th for Rossum.

1st Round Pick: Darren McFadden, Running Back, Arkansas

First of all, I think this is a fair trade off. We give you Bobby Petrino, you give us Darren McFadden. Thanks. Anyway, the running game was pretty atrocious this past season after leading the league in rushing with Michael Vick under center the past three seasons. Warrick Dunn is all but finished in the NFL and Norwood is nothing more than a complementary back until he proves otherwise. The NFL is set up at this point in time to where teams need a two back system to work. I believe whole-heartedly that McFadden and Norwood would provide that for us. We also get the benefit of some trick plays with McFadden throwing the ball, although I would only like to see it used about as often as San Diego uses it with Tomlinson.

2nd Round Pick: Chad Henne, Quarterback, Michigan

No matter where we get a quarterback in this draft, whether it's the 3rd pick or the 7th round, I strongly believe we need to let them sit for a year. This is also why I like the Caldwell hiring. We need a long term quarterback that is going to lead this team for years, we cannot screw up his psyche ala Joey Harrington. Henne has a strong arm and leadership qualities, he played for a big program and faced good competition, and he seems to have a little bit of that "it" factor. He was hurt this past season with what I believe is a dislocated shoulder, but he showed in the bowl game that he is feeling no ill effects from the injury. He has been somewhat inconsistent in his college career, but the thought is that with a year to learn, McFadden to take pressure off of him, and throwing to Roddy White will help ease the transition and help him become the consistent passer we need him to be.

2nd Round Pick: Dre Moore, Defensive Tackle, Maryland

After spending the top two picks on two cornerstones on offense, the draft turns back to the defensive side of the ball where we need help up the middle. I definitely believe Trey Lewis should be penciled in as the starter heading into training camp if he comes back healthy and Babineaux is a solid starter if we release Coleman, which I think would be wise. However, we still need talent up the middle to help us rush the passer and clog running lanes. Dre Moore isn't the biggest defensive tackle out there, but he's a penetrating force who is going to make plays in the backfield.

3rd Round Pick: Carl Nicks, Offensive Tackle, Nebraska

We all know we need a left tackle to hold down the fort. Unfortunately, we also have other pressing needs that we had to take care of earlier in the draft. Carl Nicks was a junior college transfer and was the primary backup last season. This season, he stepped in and became the starter and played well for the Huskers. He has the size that we're looking for in offensive linemen at about 330 lbs. A left side of Nicks and Blalock will give McFadden some holes to run behind and also help keep Redman upright until Henne is ready to step in. Unfortunately he is going to take his rookie lumps just like Blalock did this past season, but he has the talent to succeed and hopefully he will have all of those kinks worked out by the time Henne steps in so he can provide the protection he deserves.

3rd Round Comp. Pick: Ben Moffitt, Middle Linebacker, South Florida

This continues the theme that we need help up the middle of our defense. He might not be able to step in and be the starter from day one, but hopefully Brooking will take a pay cut so he can continue to hold it down for just a little while longer. This will also team him back up with former South Florida linebacker Stephen Nicholas and help with the chemistry that is needed from a defensive unit. I believe Nicholas is going to step into the starting weakside linebacker role and Demorrio Williams will be allowed to leave via Free Agency. The last 3rd round pick we used on a middle linebacker didn't work out (Jordan Beck) but he comes from a much bigger program and has more experience and leadership than Beck did. "Even though USF also loses standout CBs Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams, 'Ben is the guy we're going to miss the most next year,' defensive coordinator Wally Burnham said. 'I think that's why we didn't drop off as much this year because we had him.'"

4th Round Pick: Cornelius Ingram, Tight End, Florida

Crumpler is over that dreaded 30 year hill for professional football players and we need someone to be his eventual replacement. Every time I watch Florida play football, I see Ingram stand out. A dump off in the middle of the field helps a young quarterback and Henne and Ingram can start from day one getting used to one another to produce results. I think a future 1-2 of Ingram and Milner will give us some pretty good tight ends. Many of you might not have noticed, but Milner did not drop a ball during the regular season before he got hurt. That was his only knock coming out of Georgia and if he has that under control, he's a great backup or a weapon in two tight end sets. Ingram is not as big as Crumpler, but Milner is the better blocking tight end so he can be used in obvious blocking situations and Ingram in receiving situations.

5th Round Pick: Eddie Royal, WR/KR, Virginia Tech

Our return game wasn't where it needed to be this season, although Norwood did well in spots. We still need a quality kick returner that can handle those duties while also contribute a little bit on offense. Royal is Jennings with more talent.

6th Round Pick: Brandon Coutu, Kicker, Georgia

We all know we need a kicker with Morten Anderson being called on the past two seasons. That cannot continue next season. Coutu has the strongest leg of the prospects, but he needs to be slightly more consistent. I believe it's possible for him to do that when his sole job is kicking the football and he doesn't have classes to get in the way. He has massive potential as a kicker, which is worth a 6th to me.

7th Round Pick: Mike Cox, Fullback, Georgia Tech

Well this satisfies both sides of the state of Georgia college football fan base. Mike Cox has been instrumental in allowing Choice and Dwyer to be as successful as they have. He's in the same exact mold of Ovie Mughelli at a much lower cost. I'm not saying we should cut Ovie, but this is how you're supposed to come across your fullbacks: cheap, late round, and solid.

7th Round Pick: Adam Kraus, Offensive Guard, Michigan

Chad Henne brings a body guard with him. This is purely a depth move for the first season or two, but hopefully he could eventually move into the starting right guard position. We need help anywhere we can get it along the offensive line, except for left guard and right tackle where Blalock has potential and Clabo played well. I would have my starting lineup as this for the coming season: LT: Weiner, LG: Blalock, C: McClure, RG: Forney, RT: Clabo. Hopefully Nicks steps in at LT at some point and Datish can step in at center to give us a revamped offensive line.

Hopefully most of you like the picks in this draft.

Orange_Crush (1/6/2008)

Good pick. Best player in the draft.

Good pick, a little early maybe?

Good pick

Good pick

Good pick

eh.... I like the player, just not sure right now is the appropriate time. I also feel that Crump doesn't have much left at all, but I was impressed with the way Milner came on before his injury. I personally would wait a little later for Crump's replacement

I think he could go earlier due to his KR abilities. I'm not so sure this pick is a necessity right away. I would rather go with more depth along the OL and DL

Good pick.

No need for a FB. We just made Ovie the highest paid FB in history. We could probably find a good backup FB as an UDFA.

Good pick

Overall this mock is pretty good. I like the first half better than the second, but I would be pleased with this draft.

You put a lot of thought into this, and it is very realistic.

Orange_Crush (1/6/2008)
I still stand by the fact that I think Jim Caldwell is the right coach for this team. We need offensive scheme and knowledge more than we do on defense. We also have a lot more talent on defense than we do on offense, so we need to work on putting points on the board.

I am making this mock under the assumptions that we receive a 3rd for Kerney and a 7th for Rossum.

First of all, I think this is a fair trade off. We give you Bobby Petrino, you give us Darren McFadden. Thanks. Anyway, the running game was pretty atrocious this past season after leading the league in rushing with Michael Vick under center the past three seasons. Warrick Dunn is all but finished in the NFL and Norwood is nothing more than a complementary back until he proves otherwise. The NFL is set up at this point in time to where teams need a two back system to work. I believe whole-heartedly that McFadden and Norwood would provide that for us. We also get the benefit of some trick plays with McFadden throwing the ball, although I would only like to see it used about as often as San Diego uses it with Tomlinson.

Probably the pick if available. Would be hard to pass based upon BPA and positional need. Nice tandem with Norwood. Lots of speed and two HBs w/ good hands, plus return ability.

No matter where we get a quarterback in this draft, whether it's the 3rd pick or the 7th round, I strongly believe we need to let them sit for a year. This is also why I like the Caldwell hiring. We need a long term quarterback that is going to lead this team for years, we cannot screw up his psyche ala Joey Harrington. Henne has a strong arm and leadership qualities, he played for a big program and faced good competition, and he seems to have a little bit of that "it" factor. He was hurt this past season with what I believe is a dislocated shoulder, but he showed in the bowl game that he is feeling no ill effects from the injury. He has been somewhat inconsistent in his college career, but the thought is that with a year to learn, McFadden to take pressure off of him, and throwing to Roddy White will help ease the transition and help him become the consistent passer we need him to be.

I would rather have ainge or Flacco. Not saying Henne won't be good. I just don't see him being as good as you do. I like Ainge alot, though. And wouldn't be suprised to see him a Falcon if we draft McFadden. Still a good pick at positionwise.

After spending the top two picks on two cornerstones on offense, the draft turns back to the defensive side of the ball where we need help up the middle. I definitely believe Trey Lewis should be penciled in as the starter heading into training camp if he comes back healthy and Babineaux is a solid starter if we release Coleman, which I think would be wise. However, we still need talent up the middle to help us rush the passer and clog running lanes. Dre Moore isn't the biggest defensive tackle out there, but he's a penetrating force who is going to make plays in the backfield.

Too high a pick for this guy. Scott Wright has him as 8th best. Dorsey and Ellis are first rounders. The top 8 aren't going in the first 3 rounds. He'll slip. This should be OL or top rated safety or LB

We all know we need a left tackle to hold down the fort. Unfortunately, we also have other pressing needs that we had to take care of earlier in the draft. Carl Nicks was a junior college transfer and was the primary backup last season. This season, he stepped in and became the starter and played well for the Huskers. He has the size that we're looking for in offensive linemen at about 330 lbs. A left side of Nicks and Blalock will give McFadden some holes to run behind and also help keep Redman upright until Henne is ready to step in. Unfortunately he is going to take his rookie lumps just like Blalock did this past season, but he has the talent to succeed and hopefully he will have all of those kinks worked out by the time Henne steps in so he can provide the protection he deserves.

[b]Nice pick in the third round, but I'd rather see us draft one in the second instead of Moore. Williams, Richardson, Cherilus & Otah all will be available in the 2nd and are much better. I still like the pick, if you pick one of the guys I listed before him.

This continues the theme that we need help up the middle of our defense. He might not be able to step in and be the starter from day one, but hopefully Brooking will take a pay cut so he can continue to hold it down for just a little while longer. This will also team him back up with former South Florida linebacker Stephen Nicholas and help with the chemistry that is needed from a defensive unit. I believe Nicholas is going to step into the starting weakside linebacker role and Demorrio Williams will be allowed to leave via Free Agency. The last 3rd round pick we used on a middle linebacker didn't work out (Jordan Beck) but he comes from a much bigger program and has more experience and leadership than Beck did. "Even though USF also loses standout CBs Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams, 'Ben is the guy we're going to miss the most next year,' defensive coordinator Wally Burnham said. 'I think that's why we didn't drop off as much this year because we had him.'"

Nice pick

Crumpler is over that dreaded 30 year hill for professional football players and we need someone to be his eventual replacement. Every time I watch Florida play football, I see Ingram stand out. A dump off in the middle of the field helps a young quarterback and Henne and Ingram can start from day one getting used to one another to produce results. I think a future 1-2 of Ingram and Milner will give us some pretty good tight ends. Many of you might not have noticed, but Milner did not drop a ball during the regular season before he got hurt. That was his only knock coming out of Georgia and if he has that under control, he's a great backup or a weapon in two tight end sets. Ingram is not as big as Crumpler, but Milner is the better blocking tight end so he can be used in obvious blocking situations and Ingram in receiving situations.

NO friggin way doe we reach for this guy. We already have Milner, who was a reach. If you can get him w/ a seventh then he's a steal

Our return game wasn't where it needed to be this season, although Norwood did well in spots. We still need a quality kick returner that can handle those duties while also contribute a little bit on offense. Royal is Jennings with more talent.

Love this pick, hope he's around

We all know we need a kicker with Morten Anderson being called on the past two seasons. That cannot continue next season. Coutu has the strongest leg of the prospects, but he needs to be slightly more consistent. I believe it's possible for him to do that when his sole job is kicking the football and he doesn't have classes to get in the way. He has massive potential as a kicker, which is worth a 6th to me.

nice pick

Well this satisfies both sides of the state of Georgia college football fan base. Mike Cox has been instrumental in allowing Choice and Dwyer to be as successful as they have. He's in the same exact mold of Ovie Mughelli at a much lower cost. I'm not saying we should cut Ovie, but this is how you're supposed to come across your fullbacks: cheap, late round, and solid.

Not sure why we need yet another FB. Got Snelling and Ovie.

Chad Henne brings a body guard with him. This is purely a depth move for the first season or two, but hopefully he could eventually move into the starting right guard position. We need help anywhere we can get it along the offensive line, except for left guard and right tackle where Blalock has potential and Clabo played well. I would have my starting lineup as this for the coming season: LT: Weiner, LG: Blalock, C: McClure, RG: Forney, RT: Clabo. Hopefully Nicks steps in at LT at some point and Datish can step in at center to give us a revamped offensive line.

Nice pick here, wouldn't say he'll be a starter, more like PS. We still have the behemoth Quarterman available as well after a year on PS

Hopefully most of you like the picks in this draft.[/quote]

Overall, nice mock and realistic

hornsmd (1/6/2008)
Overall a good draft, but I think Henne is taken too high and where is the safety?

We can't fix everything wrong with this team in one draft, but I feel Crocker played well this past season and should be resigned. If not, Jimmy Williams better be ready to step into the starting spot. Milloy has another season in him and hopefully Stone will be ready after that.

By the way, here's my final mock from last season:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Falcons_Fan_Fo...showtopic=14634

I got the first 4 picks right by position and I picked Blalock right. I also had both Blalock and Houston as my two hopeful picks in the 2nd round and my wish came true.

And looking even more, I had David Harris as an alternate pick over the cornerback. After finishing 8th in the NFL with 127 tackles and 5 sacks, I'd say that would've been a nice pick.

I like the picks and other than the early KR they are all great positions to draft, I would say that I would prefer that we get at least one O-lineman on the first day and continue to draft for depth there throughout day two.

Thank you for being realistic though, when people want to grab Scheuning in the 4th or something it just irritates me.

Orange_Crush (1/6/2008)

Hopefully most of you like the picks in this draft.

It is a solid draft, I would be fairly happy if that's what we walked away with. It would require an O line signing or two in free agency, specifically a starting right guard. I really like Caldwell for head coach, McFadden is just the best pick we can make, Henne is growing on me, and I think he or Flacco may be the way to go at QB in the 2nd, really like Dre Moore too, hes underrated IMO.

In the 2nd day, don't know much about Carl Nicks, if he has the feet to handle the speed rushers then hes a solid pick, really like Moffitt, don't know much about Ingram, but I would rather wait until later to grab a 2nd TE, I like Joey Haynos out of Maryland in the 6th. Like the idea of WR/KR in the 5th, though I would prefer Sammie Stroughter, he seems more explosive. Like the kicker pick, not sure about Coutu but whatever, don't know why we need a fullback, and Kraus is a good pick, though I think his stock is more around the 4th-5th round if I'm not mistaken.

Overall I would be pretty happy with this if this is how it all turned out.

REV.2000 (1/6/2008)
ORANGE CRUSH? ARE YOU FOR DENVER OR ATLANTA?

Falcons, but I followed Cutler through the draft and I watch him play, so I follow the Broncos too.

I posted this before Kevin Smith turned pro and I might have to rethink this draft. There's a lot of talent at running back in this draft.

You know I really like what I've seen out of Kevin Smith. I think he might make a good back in the NFL. However, I think someone with a little more size and power would compliment Norwood a lot better.

Well thought out draft...I'm more interested in Jake Long than taking a RB in the first round(also still of the school of thought that I'd like to see a big power back to compliment Norwood)...unless we take care of the postion through free agency