Mel Kiper on ESPN Radio regarding Falcons Draft

Kiper feels that McFadden is a lock to be a Falcon regardless of the pick. Here is his logic:

1. Dolphins- Parcels may go with DE Long due to him playing in Al Grohs 3-4 in college or Dorsey.

2. St. Louis- They will not take a running back due to Stephen Jackson and Brian Leonard

3. Kansas City- Mel believes they have to take a quarterback like Matt Ryan. They will not draft a running back due to Larry Johnson.

4. Oakland- He believes that there is a chance with oakland but definitely not if Howie's sun is still on the board.

5. Falcons- Mel Feels that Warrick is done and Jerious is a speed back. He believes that Blank is into the big name for his fan base. Additionally, he does not believe that any of the quarterbacks in the draft are worth a high first round pick.

They also discussed a scenario in which the Falcons traded their second round pick to Cleveland for Derek Anderson. Mel felt that a second round pick was justifiable since Anderson is a former 6th round pick. Compensation would be similar to Schaub.

Mel seems confident that McFadden is a Falcon unless some one trades up into the top 5 which he pointed out has not happened since the Eli-Rivers trade.

****! WE EVEN GET PICKED LAST IN 2 COIN FLIPS! (We must suck, I blame McKay, be would pick tails or something).

Honestly, I'm glad this draft doesn't have us picking Matt Ryan *GAG*. We need DMC or Jake Long, or trade down if at all possible. I am happy with the 3. I just don't want a QB with our pick. However, I feel like KC would pick DMC, because LJ didn't finish the season. Though they need a QB so bad it makes me hurt.

FalconMama (1/6/2008)
I like Mel Kiper but I just cant see the Raiders passing McFadden. But who knows stranger things have happened.

If they pass on him, they must have higher hopes on someone else later in the draft. mel Kiper is only popular because of his hair.

I sure hope Mel is right... We need someone to bring electricity back to this team and DMC + Norwood in the backfield would put people in seats AND win games. Plus it would make life easier on any future franchise QB we draft in rounds 2 through 5 if he could hang his hat on two stud running backs (see David Garrard).

GEORGIAfan (1/6/2008)
FalconMama (1/6/2008)
I like Mel Kiper but I just cant see the Raiders passing McFadden. But who knows stranger things have happened.

i wouldnt be suprised, but they have justin fargas who just ran for 1000yrds.

Dont quote me but I think Fargas is a FA... I might be wrong though.

Oh and one more thing:

If Miami doesn't trade out of the first pick (which they probably won't do), don't be surprised if they take Matt Ryan. Cleo Lemon is not the answer and John Beck is Cam Cameron's guy. Something tells me that Parcells does not want the first overall pick though.

falconva7 (1/6/2008)
Oh and one more thing:

If Miami doesn't trade out of the first pick (which they probably won't do), don't be surprised if they take Matt Ryan. Cleo Lemon is not the answer and John Beck is Cam Cameron's guy. Something tells me that Parcells does not want the first overall pick though.

If he does want to get rid of it, he's going to have a **** of a time trying to trade it.

Yeah i hope so i would love to see him paired with Norwood next year..........but i wouldn't mind getting that RB out of Illinois he a beast or an OT. But for some reason i like Andre Woodsen i have only see him in that LSU game and he was awesome he carried that team i know i going to get flamed on by some people but i think he's a star with the right talent around him, cause we all know Kentucky aint know for football and they beat the #! team possibly champion...........Flame on .....

FalconMama (1/6/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/6/2008)
FalconMama (1/6/2008)

if he is a FA, then i say we pick him up. he would be A LOT cheaper than getting mike the burner turner.

and your right i checked it, and he becomes a FA.

GEORGIAfan (1/6/2008)
FalconMama (1/6/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/6/2008)
FalconMama (1/6/2008)

if he is a FA, then i say we pick him up. he would be A LOT cheaper than getting mike the burner turner.

Keep in mind they also have Dominic Rhodes, Lamont Jordan and Michael Bush so they can afford to lose one. But then again it's Al Davis and nothing he does should suprise any of us. I see them picking McFadden if they get the #3.. But hey like I said stranger things have happened.

FalconMama (1/6/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/6/2008)
FalconMama (1/6/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/6/2008)
FalconMama (1/6/2008)

Keep in mind they also have Dominic Rhodes, Lamont Jordan and Michael Bush so they can afford to lose one. But then again it's Al Davis and nothing he does should suprise any of us. I see them picking McFadden if they get the #3.. But hey like I said stranger things have happened.

i would love to get fargas, and pair him with Norwood. i think that would be a great tandem. i think we need a DT. either dorsey or ellis. Both would lock down our Dline, and that would help our secondary and our lb core. if we had lewis back atleast, then i think we could have won that AZ game.

The Raiders have a lot of potential at running back already. Like someone said, Fargas just had 1,000 yards. Bush would have to be completely screwed in the health department I think for them to draft a running back when you have a former Heisman candidate in the wings.

can someone please fill me in as to why mcfadden is such a better rb than stewart, mendenhall, jones, and smith? seriously, im not trying to be a smart a$$. it just seems to me that there are a lot of great rbs coming out, and i want to know if there is really such a big drop of between mcfadden and everyone else. is he really that much better? is it worth using the 3rd pick, or couldnt we pick up someone great in the 2nd?

i humbly ask for some feedback on this one.

neko (1/6/2008)
can someone please fill me in as to why mcfadden is such a better rb than stewart, mendenhall, jones, and smith? seriously, im not trying to be a smart a$$. it just seems to me that there are a lot of great rbs coming out, and i want to know if there is really such a big drop of between mcfadden and everyone else. is he really that much better? is it worth using the 3rd pick, or couldnt we pick up someone great in the 2nd?

i humbly ask for some feedback on this one.

i do not want darren mcfadden, but 1st he is the best RB in the SEC. He has consistently put up heisman numbers. he does all this without a QB. the dude is the Offense, and felix jones gets help. the dude doesnt even have 2000yrds passing as a starter. he has 18TD 10ints. dude averages 130yrd per game. the dude is a scrub, but Mcfadden still has 100yrd games etc.

4Quarters (1/6/2008)

Yeah i hope so i would love to see him paired with Norwood next year..........but i wouldn't mind getting that RB out of Illinois he a beast or an OT. But for some reason i like Andre Woodsen i have only see him in that LSU game and he was awesome he carried that team i know i going to get flamed on by some people but i think he's a star with the right talent around him, cause we all know Kentucky aint know for football and they beat the #! team possibly champion...........Flame on .....

Nah You won't get flamed.......

I like Rashard Mendenhall also, and the more I think about it the more he looks like the better fit for us. After watching what Jones Drew did to Pittsburg last night it only reinforced my position on Mendenhall.

The only problem maybe taking him at the right spot in the draft, which would be a bit trickier than taking McFadden because of perception more than anything.

Even still say we take him (Mendenhall) with 3rd to 5th overall pick the MB might BOO HOO until he makes the type of impact plays Jamal Anderson (rb) or Jones Drew made for they're respective teams, then the boo hoo's will turn to cheers.

I think over time Mendenhall will prove to be a bit more durable in the NFL then Mcfadden, based on running styles and stature.

I also like the fact that Mendenhall's low center of gravity will be an asset when we need that tough 3rd and short yardage.

I like Woodson, but after seeing his throwing motion so closely resembling Leftovers it kinda made me rethink my position on him. RDE's in the NFL are way to good for a quarterback to wind up that way without a vast increased risk of fumbling.

Give me Dixon in the 2nd or 3rd and I'll be ok with that.

herr doktor (1/6/2008)
I agree with ya Smash, very good points. I'd like to see offensive Lineman picked first. Gotta have the beef to run! But I think you are right with Mendenhall. He looks like a throw back Falcons back. Gerald Riggs, Jamal Anderson, etc. A bruiser.

Hopefully the front office see's it that way ;)