June Jones resigns from Hawaii.. Most likely headed to SMU.

SacFalcFan

GEORGIAfan (1/6/2008)
thats messed up. i think they had a good shot. the girls and sugar bowl appearance( although not pretty) would have helped them with recruit players that D-2 teams get, and with the right coaching, they could have made a comeback.

nah that isn't.. at smu he will have a lot more financial support. I hope it works out for him.. i remember when smu was a powerhouse before the death penalty.. the ncaa is just pathetic to ruin a school's football program like that.

SacFalcFan (1/6/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/6/2008)
thats messed up. i think they had a good shot. the girls and sugar bowl appearance( although not pretty) would have helped them with recruit players that D-2 teams get, and with the right coaching, they could have made a comeback.

nah that isn't.. at smu he will have a lot more financial support. I hope it works out for him.. i remember when smu was a powerhouse before the death penalty.. the ncaa is just pathetic to ruin a school's football program like that.

The NCAA has stated before that they have always regretted giving SMU the death penalty. They will never impose such a punishment on a school ever again. If they did, Alabama would have been given the death penalty after that Albert Means scandal.

Just 2 weeks ago he was on WSB saying he would most likely coach 4-6 more years at Hawaii and then retire there. I guess this is what a 41-10 beatdown will do to you. I wish him the best of luck but Hawaii is screwed, with all their key players off to the NFL draft, the last thing they needed to worry about was a new coach. Sounds like Jones did'nt feel up to retooling the Hawaii roster and he decided he'd go somewhere else and try his luck there.

freakyfalcon (1/6/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/6/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/6/2008)

The NCAA has stated before that they have always regretted giving SMU the death penalty. They will never impose such a punishment on a school ever again. If they did, Alabama would have been given the death penalty after that Albert Means scandal.

yea i did some reading up on the death penalty.( never heard if it, and it happened before i was born) thats just crazy. i feel that no team should get the death penalty, esp. when its just to help out the parents that can barely afford to live.

I could be wrong but I don't think it's an "resignation" because this was the last year of his contract and he's not considering any renew talks. From what I hear Hawaii didn't even as much as try with JJ and alot of boosters are taking this hard. Could get stormy in paradise...I hope he succeeds wherever he goes but he should be more careful of what he says to the media.

bulldogfalcon (1/6/2008)
I could be wrong but I don't think it's an "resignation" because this was the last year of his contract and he's not considering any renew talks. From what I hear Hawaii didn't even as much as try with JJ and alot of boosters are taking this hard. Could get stormy in paradise...I hope he succeeds wherever he goes but he should be more careful of what he says to the media.

no it's a resignation since his contract is not up til June. they gave him two contract extension deals that he said no to..

The reason he turned down the 2 contract extensions is because the AD and the UoH just doesnt get it. It isnt all about the money with June Jones. Its the pathetic facilities and $50K recruiting budget that bothers June Jones. Apparently when they offered those contract extensions, they didnt mention anything about upgrading the football facilities or have any plans to do so.

capologist (1/6/2008)
Headshot (1/6/2008)
Wow I had never heard about the "Death Penalty" before reading this thread and I just read about it on Wikipedia....that's pretty messed up. Alabama is lucky it didn't happen to them, too.

Youngster...

Yep, lol. Just turned 22 Friday.

freakyfalcon (1/6/2008)
The reason he turned down the 2 contract extensions is because the AD and the UoH just doesnt get it. It isnt all about the money with June Jones. Its the pathetic facilities and $50K recruiting budget that bothers June Jones. Apparently when they offered those contract extensions, they didnt mention anything about upgrading the football facilities or have any plans to do so.

IMO part of the reason he turned down the 2 contract extensions is because after the Georgia beatdown he knew at that point that even with his best team at hawaii wasn't enough to be competitive at the next level of teams. Also the one thing you know about june jones is he hates it when his system of the run and shoot is questioned. That really bothers him (they commented on that during the telecast as well) and after that loss i have read in a number of stories how his offense just can't beat teams who play solid defense. The lack of support hurts him as well, but I really think after that game against uga it really opened his eyes that he needs more support and better players which he will not get at hawaii.

Headshot (1/6/2008)
Wow I had never heard about the "Death Penalty" before reading this thread and I just read about it on Wikipedia....that's pretty messed up. Alabama is lucky it didn't happen to them, too.

before smu happened, if bama had done what they did they would have received the death penalty but thanks to the ncaa seeing how they decimated a football program for more than 2 decades they won't do it again. you don't remember this, but before that death penalty smu was a very successful program with the likes of eric dickerson and craig james both coming from that school.

SacFalcFan (1/6/2008)
Headshot (1/6/2008)

before smu happened, if bama had done what they did they would have received the death penalty but thanks to the ncaa seeing how they decimated a football program for more than 2 decades they won't do it again. you don't remember this, but before that death penalty smu was a very successful program with the likes of eric dickerson and craig james both coming from that school.

Yes the Pony Express. My dad loved them.

Now the Governor of Hawaii and the President of the university have stepped up to the plate in trying to get JJ to stay. The president has also offered a 5 year contract at 1.5 million a year and he is willing to address any facilities issues JJ has raised in the past.

This is getting more and more interesting.

IMO he will have better success at SMU than Hawaii. He can recruit 2nd and 3rd string high school kids in the state of Texas and have a better recruiting class than he can ever have at Hawaii.

Jones picks SMU despite Hawaii blitz

By Joe Schad

ESPN.com

June Jones will be introduced at a 4 p.m. ET news conference today as the head coach at SMU.

Earlier, Jones' agent, Leigh Steinberg, confirmed that Jones had agreed to a 5-year deal worth about $2 million per year.

On Sunday, a source told ESPN that SMU was close to finalizing the details of a contract for Jones. The source said the deal is expected to be booster-funded. SMU athletic director Steve Orsini reportedly has sold as many as 20 boosters on the concept of donating as much as $100,000 per year for five years.

Jones was moved by Hawaii fans, including Gov. Linda Lingle, who pushed for him to stay. But, ultimately, facilities and a bigger budget won out. Jones called Hawaii officials Monday morning to tell them of his decision.

"He slept on it, finally came to peace and arrived at a decision,'' Steinberg said. "I think he's exhilarated by the challenge, by the environment.''

Jones, who turns 55 next month, has gone 75-41 with Hawaii, including 4-2 in bowls. His teams finished first in the WAC twice and second two other times.

Former SMU coach Phil Bennett, who was let go in October, was the fourth coach to lead SMU since it came off the death penalty in 1989. The Mustangs are 58-153-3 in that span. The on-field struggles have been compounded by the long, slow hunt for Bennett's replacement.

The search has taken about 10 weeks, with SMU going from the first major college with a vacancy to the only one left without a coach. The school received permission to speak with Jones on Dec. 24.

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press is included in this report.

GEORGIAfan (1/7/2008)
17 here and read about it more, and it not only killed a program for 22yrs, but killed a Conference. im glad it didnt happen to bama, or we might have lost the SEC. the SWC had some really good teams old school ark. ok. texas texas tech texas am. etc.

The SMU scandal was just the tip of the iceberg at what was going on in the SWC during that time. The rich alumni and boosters of their respected schools and the top officials of the SWC killed that conference. They all had their hands in the cookie jar. I think most of the schools were hit with some sort of recruiting scandal during the 80's with the exception of Rice and Baylor.

freakyfalcon (1/7/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/7/2008)
17 here and read about it more, and it not only killed a program for 22yrs, but killed a Conference. im glad it didnt happen to bama, or we might have lost the SEC. the SWC had some really good teams old school ark. ok. texas texas tech texas am. etc.

The SMU scandal was just the tip of the iceberg at what was going on in the SWC during that time. The rich alumni and boosters of their respected schools and the top officials of the SWC killed that conference. They all had their hands in the cookie jar. I think most of the schools were hit with some sort of recruiting scandal during the 80's with the exception of Rice and Baylor.

It was more than that. What really hurt them was the schools told on each other. You could say cheating did them in, but they were all cheating (i think even baylor had some infractions) and then they were telling the ncaa on each other and that killed the conference. It wasn't like there were innocent schools telling on other schools, it was guilty schools turning other schools in. Once that started and coaches were calling the ncaa and turning in their rival it was a free for all and by the end the conference was destroyed.

When the whole fulmer telling on bama to get a get out of jail free card, the whole southwest conference demise was brought up and if the sec coaches started doing this to each other it could hurt the conference. Almost every school has minor infractions that they report to the ncaa yearly, but when the ncaa has a reason to investigate further I doubt there is a school that is completely innocent of some type of infraction that is beyond a minor. That's the key most will tell you about this stuff, don't give the ncaa a reason to look further. there are also schools who are treated differently and if people do not believe that then you should research ohio state. that is an example of a school that has gotten away with some major infractions and silence from ncaa.