Falcons tell Zimmer, Jackson to look elsewhere

Statick

See ya, Zim...:satisfied: You did what you could with what you had.

Falcons tell Zimmer, Jackson to look elsewhere

Top assistants won't be considered for head coaching position

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/04/08

Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, who has been told by the team that he will not be considered for the head coaching job, has been granted permission to interview for the Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator job, a person with knowledge of the situation told the AJC.

Zimmer is interviewing today.

Atlanta's offensive coordinator, Hue Jackson, also was told that he would not be considered for the head-coaching job, the person said.

All of the Falcons assistant coaches, except three that took college assistant coaching jobs Brian VanGorder (South Carolina), Derrick Nix (Mississippi) and Mike Summers (Arkansas) are still under contract. Their status with the team is in limbo because the franchise will hire a new coach to replace Bobby Petrino, who left during the season to coach at Arkansas.

Owner Arthur Blank and president Rich McKay are in Dallas today interviewing Cowboys assistants Tony Sparano and Jason Garrett for the head-coaching job. Indianapolis assistant head coach Jim Caldwell was interviewed Thursday for head coach.

Blank and McKay also have interviewed Green Bay's Reggie McKenzie and John Schneider for the general manager position McKay will vacate once his successor is found. Philadelphia GM Tom Heckert will interview for Atlanta's GM post Monday.

The Bengals fired defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan earlier this week and are moving quickly to try to fill the void. Former Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and Carolina secondary coach Tim Lewis have been mentioned as candidates to replace Bresnahan.

Zimmer joined the Falcons before the season after spending the previous 13 years with the Dallas Cowboys six as defensive coordinator. Zimmer's Cowboys teams typically were ranked among the best in the NFL.

Atlanta's defense opened the season strong but struggled over the final three games after Petrino left. The Falcons (4-12) finished ranked 29th of 32 teams, allowing 355 yards and 25.9 points per game.

Zimmer got consideration but was not named interim coach following Petrino's resignation. Secondary coach Emmitt Thomas was named interim coach, earning his lone win in the season finale of Seattle after losses at Tampa Bay and Arizona.

sad, but part of the process....zimmer seemed to improve our d, but i got to thinking....why did dallas let him go??? anyhoo i wish him the best and hopefully he will become a head coach sometime, now hue....hmmm didnt our recievers make major improvement? Whoever is responsible for that should be given a freakin raise!!;)

marvinthemartian (1/5/2008)
I would like to see Singletary come in and bring in Rivera as DC and keep Hue Jackson as OC. The maybe add Doug Plank as ST coach.

I will cosign on that statement. But know if Rivera would left Chicago for the same position in Atlanta.

marvinthemartian (1/5/2008)
I would like to see Singletary come in and bring in Rivera as DC and keep Hue Jackson as OC. The maybe add Doug Plank as ST coach.

kiss my #####. **** NO!!!! plank is the HC of the force, and he needs to stay there.

Zimmer would have made a great HC, because he could have built us an elite D. hue jackson would have built a good Offense.