I am truly excited and optimistic about our future. Here's why:

We have an owner who truly cares and is willing to do whatever it takes to make things work. Has he made mistakes? Yes, many of them. But having watched this team under the ownership of a family who seemingly really didnt want to win, Mr Blank's passion and class is truly appreciated.

We have the opportunity to start from scratch with a new person who will be in control of all the football related decisions. The new GM, President, VP or whatever he is called will start with a clean slate and a higher level of support from his owner than that enjoyed by any other GM in the NFL. We have 2 men (Heckert and McKenzie) who both seem to want the challenge and have the ability to do the job well.

That person will make the hire of a new coach who will also have a clean slate to make his mark on this franchise. There are many good options for HC. I feel that we will nail this pick.

We have a number of high level first day draft picks for the new leadership to use to help us immediately.

We should have a pretty good amount of cap space for free agency acquisitions as well.

With new leadership at the top, an impartial, non-emotion driven assessment of talent can be made and the housecleaning that needs to occur can occur. Keep the good and add to it. Get rid of the deadwood and the people who dont want to be here and a long term part of the process.

Chris Redman played well enough that we might not have to invest our first pick in a QB. Instead, we might be able to trade down for more picks or draft another position of need such as O Line and D Line. Maybe use a later pick on a QB and with Redman starting, allow the newer QB to groom from the bench for a year or two instead of having to be thrown to the wolves.

The NFC South is a weak division with the last place team routinely finishing first the following year.

With all of the things outlined above, rebuilding can occur in one year instead of five like it used to take. If things come together for us, we ought to be able to field a very competitive and entertaining team next year.

Comments?

marvinthemartian (1/5/2008)
We have an owner who truly cares and is willing to do whatever it takes to make things work. Has he made mistakes? Yes, many of them. But having watched this team under the ownership of a family who seemingly really didnt want to win, Mr Blank's passion and class is truly appreciated.

We have the opportunity to start from scratch with a new person who will be in control of all the football related decisions. The new GM, President, VP or whatever he is called will start with a clean slate and a higher level of support from his owner than that enjoyed by any other GM in the NFL. We have 2 men (Heckert and McKenzie) who both seem to want the challenge and have the ability to do the job well.

That person will make the hire of a new coach who will also have a clean slate to make his mark on this franchise. There are many good options for HC. I feel that we will nail this pick.

We have a number of high level first day draft picks for the new leadership to use to help us immediately.

We should have a pretty good amount of cap space for free agency acquisitions as well.

With new leadership at the top, an impartial, non-emotion driven assessment of talent can be made and the housecleaning that needs to occur can occur. Keep the good and add to it. Get rid of the deadwood and the people who dont want to be here and a long term part of the process.

Chris Redman played well enough that we might not have to invest our first pick in a QB. Instead, we might be able to trade down for more picks or draft another position of need such as O Line and D Line. Maybe use a later pick on a QB and with Redman starting, allow the newer QB to groom from the bench for a year or two instead of having to be thrown to the wolves.

The NFC South is a weak division with the last place team routinely finishing first the following year.

With all of the things outlined above, rebuilding can occur in one year instead of five like it used to take. If things come together for us, we ought to be able to field a very competitive and entertaining team next year.

Comments?

this seems like a brown nose post by someone in the organization either 1)trying to save their job,2) bucking for a raise or 3) bucking for a promotion. we've started over year after year and on average have 1 winning season out of every 5. we need taylor smith back. in his 5 yrs. of ownership we went to the superbowl and was headed in the right direction. now we have a rookie owner, rookie coaches and a losing franchise that nowmay be lucky to have 1 winning season out of 8

get a clue

While I think we really have a great opportunity to start over and get this franchise going in the right direction, I'm definitely not sold on Redman as a starter. I, too, liked what he did at the end of the season, but you gotta look at who he did it against. I don't think he'll be able to carry the team for 16 games. Don't get me wrong. I'm really excited to see what's gonna happen next season as well, but I'm not sure Redman's the way to go.

this seems like a brown nose post by someone in the organization either 1)trying to save their job,2) bucking for a raise or 3) bucking for a promotion. we've started over year after year and on average have 1 winning season out of every 5. we need taylor smith back. in his 5 yrs. of ownership we went to the superbowl and was headed in the right direction. now we have a rookie owner, rookie coaches and a losing franchise that nowmay be lucky to have 1 winning season out of 8

get a clue

How did we start over year after year? IMHO ever since Vick got here, the front office has been trying to tailor the team to support his style of play - which was the wrong way to start with. So, the way I see it, we've been going in one direction for years now. And obviously it was the wrong one. I really can't see any attempts to really start over.

And I'm entirely with marv here, that this will be a great opportunity to change the way the team is run and truly start over again.

Yeah, this is the type of post someone makes to get others to say, "great post!". The optimists will love this post, but the realists know there isn't much to look forward to other than Falcons football. We have an owner that removed the acting GM from his duties as GM but will let him help decide on the new GM. We have a team full of crybabies. We don't have much talent on the team.

I look forward to next year because Falcon football will be back. I don't have high expectations, but I hope we go 19-0.

By the way, name one owner of an NFL team that doesn't want to win. It's crazy to suggest that an owner doesn't care if their team wins or not.

McKay should be out the door, or NOT involved in any hiring of coaches. This in itself has me questioning the ability of our owner to "own" an NFL team. I say that because it's becoming apparent that Blank doesn't want to just own the team, he wants to run it. He doesn't have a clue about running an NFL team. He can be a good owner, he just needs to let someone else run it.

Another thing. Blank is running around out here interviewing HC'ing candidates when the GM hasn't been hired yet. What kind of crap is that?

Sorry, if being optimistic is what gets you up for next year, thats great. I'll be pumped just because it's Falcons football but if I had to base my eagerness on optimism, I'd look for next year and this era ending.

just joking! i agree that's why i think the falcons should use redman or shockley for a year or two and draft a qb for the future. the falcons will win more games this season because they will not be going into training camp thinking vick will be here they can be better prepared for not relying on one player to win games

ndcruz (1/5/2008)
While I think we really have a great opportunity to start over and get this franchise going in the right direction, I'm definitely not sold on Redman as a starter. I, too, liked what he did at the end of the season, but you gotta look at who he did it against. I don't think he'll be able to carry the team for 16 games. Don't get me wrong. I'm really excited to see what's gonna happen next season as well, but I'm not sure Redman's the way to go.

get a clue

How did we start over year after year? IMHO ever since Vick got here, the front office has been trying to tailor the team to support his style of play - which was the wrong way to start with. So, the way I see it, we've been going in one direction for years now. And obviously it was the wrong one. I really can't see any attempts to really start over.

And I'm entirely with marv here, that this will be a great opportunity to change the way the team is run and truly start over again.

every year is a new season, so every year they start over, and they have the same opportunities to fix key areas.

but i agree with you we will lose in ahole different way:w00t::w00t::w00t:

"How did we start over year after year? IMHO ever since Vick got here, the front office has been trying to tailor the team to support his style of play - which was the wrong way to start with. So, the way I see it, we've been going in one direction for years now. And obviously it was the wrong one. I really can't see any attempts to really start over. "

Precisely- we are off the one man show and will now build a solid team....as soon as we get a GM and HC:exclamation:

consistentfalcon (1/5/2008)
ndcruz (1/5/2008)

get a clue

every year is a new season, so every year they start over, and they have the same opportunities to fix key areas.

You don't say! So, every year is a new season huh?

Yeah, but they never really started over cause they put all their hopes in Vick every year and I guess we all know how that played out. What I'm saying, and what I'm sure the original poster was saying, is that they have the opportunity to really change the makeup of this team and go into a whole new direction. And IMHO that is pretty exciting.

Good post, no where to go but up. With sweeping changes comes a new hope.

I too appreciate Blanks commitment. Over the years I got he feeling that the Smith's were resigned or content to lose and maybe not willing to do what it takes to win (ie spend the money). I feel that at the very least that Blank is willing to spend the money to win. But he is a relatively new owner and he will learn over time his role and boundaries. But hey, give the man a break, it's his team and his money.

i love blank as the falcons owner.

the smith's sucked ballz.

GM-?

HC-?

offseason roster changes-?

if the right chips fall into place, we could really have something to smile about. if our rookie QB is a bust we could welcome vick back in 09. it would be cruel of goodell not to lift the suspension. after serving jail time i dont know why he would'nt.

ndcruz (1/5/2008)
consistentfalcon (1/5/2008)
ndcruz (1/5/2008)

get a clue

You don't say! So, every year is a new season huh?

Yeah, but they never really started over cause they put all their hopes in Vick every year and I guess we all know how that played out. What I'm saying, and what I'm sure the original poster was saying, is that they have the opportunity to really change the makeup of this team and go into a whole new direction. And IMHO that is pretty exciting.

if you really want to change the makeup of this team then we need a new owner. the 1 we have is an experienced wood salesman, a rookie owner that says hes gonna change this franchise and hasnt. all words and little action other than placing one item on the shelf that fans thinks or thought was a hot item. now the hot item is not selling:w00t::w00t:

If Trent Dilfer can win the Super Bowl Redman can start for the Falcons. Emmit Smith was not a great back, Dallas had a GREAT OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE LINE. Jeff Hostetler was not a great player THE GIANTS HAD A GREAT OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE LINE. SO DID THE BILLS. Mark Rypen was not a great qb, REDSKINS HOGS,Dexter Manley, Charles Man. Do you guys see where I am going with this football is won in the trenches.

buddrick (1/5/2008)
i love blank as the falcons owner.

the smith's sucked ballz.

GM-?

HC-?

offseason roster changes-?

if the right chips fall into place, we could really have something to smile about. if our rookie QB is a bust we could welcome vick back in 09. it would be cruel of goodell not to lift the suspension. after serving jail time i dont know why he would'nt.

IF

IF A BULLFROG HAD A GLASS AZZ HE'D JUMP 1 TIME

Don't let the Negative Nancys get to you Marvin....

Was the original post an optimistic post? **** yes it was. Point out a single factual error that Marvin made though.

If some, a lot, or even the majority of you guys want to think that the bad times endured by and sometimes caused by this franchise are going to continue then by all means knock yourself out. I choose to believe that much better days are ahead.

I have a very vivid recollection that before Ted Turner found the right combination to run the Braves they were the laughingstock of the National League and Major League Baseball. It took Turner several years to figure it out.

Turner used to be my boss. Trust me on this. Arthur Blank is every bit as intelligent as Ted Turner.......;)

get a clue

Get a clue? What did I say to deserve that snide little comment? As far as being a brown nose post, I have no affiliation with the Falcons other than being a life long, passionate fan. I started watching the Falcons in 1966 when I was 4 years old and was sitting on my dad's lap while we watched the games. I have seen every season we have had since then.....all the many bad ones and even the few good ones. And while you certainly have the right to wish that Taylor Smith was still the owner, my guess is that you will be standing in a very short line of support for that motion.

Yeah, this is the type of post someone makes to get others to say, "great post!"

No, this is the kind of post that someone actually puts some time and thought into before posting, reflecting back over their 40+ years of being a passionate fan of this team. I have never written a single post on this board with the intention of having someone congratulate me on writing a good post. I do not measure my level of success or accomplishment in this life by the number of accolades I get for a post on a message board.

There are many posts on these boards that say something along the lines of "Man, Vick might get out early and be back and lead us to the Super Bowl" or "Why dont we get Bill Cowher as coach, Jimmy Johnson as GM and trade a 4th round pick to Cincinatti for Chad Johnson and another one to New England for Tom Brady and then man we would ROCK!" They are pretty easy to find. Maybe in the future, if you dont want to read a well thought out OPINION, perhaps you should refrain from reading my posts and find some like those.

gritblitzer (1/5/2008)
Don't let the Negative Nancys get to you Marvin....

Was the original post an optimistic post? **** yes it was. Point out a single factual error that Marvin made though.

If some, a lot, or even the majority of you guys want to think that the bad times endured by and sometimes caused by this franchise are going to continue then by all means knock yourself out. I choose to believe that much better days are ahead.

I have a very vivid recollection that before Ted Turner found the right combination to run the Braves they were the laughingstock of the National League and Major League Baseball. It took Turner several years to figure it out.

Turner used to be my boss. Trust me on this. Arthur Blank is every bit as intelligent as Ted Turner.......;)

my uncle worked for ted turner and he is an intelligent man. what hes done in his combination of things to turn the braves around are facts and history. what blank is working on is still in an experimental stage so let leave it at that until we see progress. actions speak louder than you or blanks words

if you really want to change the makeup of this team then we need a new owner. the 1 we have is an experienced wood salesman, a rookie owner that says hes gonna change this franchise and hasnt. all words and little action other than placing one item on the shelf that fans thinks or thought was a hot item. now the hot item is not selling:w00t::w00t:

I agree that he hasn't been doing a whole lot besides trying to promote Vick and I already said that I didn't like that. It definitely wasn't the right decision to put his hopes into "one hot item", but how could he have known that his hot item would end up behind bars? ;)

I think by trying to get Parcells (as far as i know Blank had the contract ready), he has shown that he's willing to go into a new direction. I don't like that he kept McKay in the system, but still - with a new GM and a new headcoach, I hope McKay won#t have too much to say regarding the players we draft etc.

So I think that - maybe only because he was let down by Vick and Petrino - Blank will (have to) start doing something. There's really no "hot item" around he could place all his hopes in. And I think by trying to hire Parcells, he's shown that he's going in the right direction.

marvinthemartian (1/5/2008)

get a clue

Get a clue? What did I say to deserve that snide little comment? As far as being a brown nose post, I have no affiliation with the Falcons other than being a life long, passionate fan. I started watching the Falcons in 1966 when I was 4 years old and was sitting on my dad's lap while we watched the games. I have seen every season we have had since then.....all the many bad ones and even the few good ones. And while you certainly have the right to wish that Taylor Smith was still the owner, my guess is that you will be standing in a very short line of support for that motion.

Yeah, this is the type of post someone makes to get others to say, "great post!"

No, this is the kind of post that someone actually puts some time and thought into before posting, reflecting back over their 40+ years of being a passionate fan of this team. I have never written a single post on this board with the intention of having someone congratulate me on writing a good post. I do not measure my level of success or accomplishment in this life by the number of accolades I get for a post on a message board.

There are many posts on these boards that say something along the lines of "Man, Vick might get out early and be back and lead us to the Super Bowl" or "Why dont we get Bill Cowher as coach, Jimmy Johnson as GM and trade a 4th round pick to Cincinatti for Chad Johnson and another one to New England for Tom Brady and then man we would ROCK!" They are pretty easy to find. Maybe in the future, if you dont want to read a well thought out OPINION, perhaps you should refrain from reading my posts and find some like those.

You the man Marvin, I like your style.