Why is everyone lamenting letting Kerney go?

Obviously he's had a great season, there is no debating that. But how much of a difference would he have made this season. 1-2 wins tops?

So a best case scenario for the Falcons would have been 6-10 for a DE that is 31 and now is signed to a 6 year, $39.5M deal - close to $20M being guaranteed?

The people who are wanting Kerney are probably the same ones who lambaste the Falcons for letting go of Schaub. IMO, while it might sting to see him perform at the level at which Kerney is, letting him go still ultimately was the right move to make.

I have some crow to eat on Kerney because I

had him classified as being more interested in

cheer leading than playing defensive end. Wow

was I wrong. He has brought it this year and

the kind of condition he is in he can go awhile

longer. It would have made a huge difference

to have 14 or so sacks opposite Abraham.

I don't really disagree with what you are saying

because this year was in trouble to start with.

TheDirtyWordII (1/5/2008)
Obviously he's had a great season, there is no debating that. But how much of a difference would he have made this season. 1-2 wins tops?

So a best case scenario for the Falcons would have been 6-10 for a DE that is 31 and now is signed to a 6 year, $39.5M deal - close to $20M being guaranteed?

The people who are wanting Kerney are probably the same ones who lambaste the Falcons for letting go of Schaub. IMO, while it might sting to see him perform at the level at which Kerney is, letting him go still ultimately was the right move to make.

Probably so. Still, as a passionate fan of this team, that move was hard to swallow just based on the leader/likeability/cool dude that he was/is. On paper, you are right. In the heart of a Falcons fan... not so easy. That's all.

TheDirtyWordII (1/5/2008)

You'll absolutely right....and you'll notice they dont bring up Schaub anymore at all.....so they resort to spamming about Kerney's season while conveniently forgetting he chose to go where he would get the most money, as he should have.

thaflameofatlanta (1/5/2008)
Eh. Hindsight is 20/20. Should we have resigned him under the circumstances earlier this year? No. It was smart money to let him walk.

HOWEVUH

Knowing what we know now, do you still let him walk? I wouldn't.

Absolutely. Looking at next year, we still wouldn't be that good and yet we'd still be tied to his contract even if he produced.

Let's realize that Kerney never had a year like this for the Falcons too. Can he duplicate his production? Who knows but he's had back-to-back seasons with double digit sacks once.