Jerry Jones might fire Wade Phillips

solidx

Why Jerry might fire Wade

Posted: Saturday January 05, 2008 08:15AM ET

Is Jerry Jones prepared to fire Wade Phillips after a 13-win regular season in order to keep Jason Garrett? That's the decision that Jones may well face, sooner rather than later as teams, including the Falcons and Ravens, began lining up Friday to interview the Cowboys' outstanding offensive coordinator. Who's more important to the Cowboys and their future? don't forget that in Jerry's mind, Garrett is his baby, his discovery, if you will. Garrett's the one Jerry hired first, not Wade. And while we scoffed that Jerry might actually be thinking of making the inexperienced Garrett the Cowboys' next head coach at the time, it was a serious consideration for Jones.

interesting but i still don't think Wade is going anywhere

solidx (1/5/2008)
Why Jerry might fire Wade

Posted: Saturday January 05, 2008 08:15AM ET

Is Jerry Jones prepared to fire Wade Phillips after a 13-win regular season in order to keep Jason Garrett? That's the decision that Jones may well face, sooner rather than later as teams, including the Falcons and Ravens, began lining up Friday to interview the Cowboys' outstanding offensive coordinator. Who's more important to the Cowboys and their future? don't forget that in Jerry's mind, Garrett is his baby, his discovery, if you will. Garrett's the one Jerry hired first, not Wade. And while we scoffed that Jerry might actually be thinking of making the inexperienced Garrett the Cowboys' next head coach at the time, it was a serious consideration for Jones.

interesting but i still don't think Wade is going anywhere

not dumb. its been the plan the whole time. wade was only here til Garrett was ready to take over. if some1 is trying to take him away, then jerry jones will do anything to keep him.

If the Cowboys win the Super Bowl, I would not be surprised if Phillips was let go. Jones has his new Super Bowl ring and can then hand the reigns over to Garrett. Phillips was pretty much a puppet hire until Garrett was able to takeover. And that might be next year.

Although, if Garrett leaves, which he has every right to do, I don't see Dallas doing as well as they had done this year. I think it's more Garrett than Phillips on the offense.

I just read that on SI. I'm not on the Garrett bandwagon, but it would be good to get one from Dallas after Jerry Jones' involvement with Petrino going to Arkansas and recommending Parcells when he was just screwing with us for a better position in Miami. I seriously doubt that would happen. Wade is an excellent coach. I wish he was still here. If Garrett's heart is in Dallas he'll stay in Dallas, if not I don't want him to pull a Petrino or Herm Edwards and leave us high and dry if the Dallas job opens up in a year or two. I'd be happier with Singletary, Ryan, or Caldwell.

FireAndyReid (1/5/2008)
If the Cowboys win the Super Bowl, I would not be surprised if Phillips was let go. Jones has his new Super Bowl ring and can then hand the reigns over to Garrett. Phillips was pretty much a puppet hire until Garrett was able to takeover. And that might be next year.

Although, if Garrett leaves, which he has every right to do, I don't see Dallas doing as well as they had done this year. I think it's more Garrett than Phillips on the offense.

Phillips is a Defensive guy and he was hired as the temporary replacement for that other head co-itch.

This amount's to nothing more than a ploy to expedite that process at our expense again.

Garrett wouldn't do good here anyway.

Wade Phillips = Jim Mora II

They are both defensive guys who are player-friendly to a fault. Wade, like Mora does not hold his players accountable when they are screwing up. That is a large part of the reason Dallas has faltered down the stretch & it's the reason that Dallas will not win the NFC.

I think it's highly likely that Jones will tell Garrett that the team is his next year if he stays & you'll see him turn down offers to both Atlanta & Baltimore if they are made.

And that will save us from making a huge mistake by hiring him.

Twinblade (1/5/2008)
lmao, Jerrry Jones would be foolish to do something like that, Garrett will struggle as a HC.

I dont think so. The Cowboys have a ton of talent. Wades previous record speaks for itself. Great teams can win without great coaches Phillips isnt a great coach at all and nobody knows how good Garret will be.

I live in Dallas and I have felt most of this was media and broadcast types trying to create stories. I think Jerry Jones' ideal scenario would be for Wade to finish one more season and promote one of the two (Garrett, Sparano) to HC. Sparano is also a candidate for front office eventually too. He may pay them more money to stay put than Artie or Tuna wants to fork over.

I think Jerry Jones will do it. If he had the audacity to fire Tom Landry (no matter if the game passed him by, YOU DON'T JUST "FIRE" TOM LANDRY!), he'll do something like this to keep Garrett. The Cowboys have been grooming him to be a coach since he backed up Aikman. I truly believe that they'll do their best to keep Garrett in Dallas, even if it means firing Bum's son and offering Garrett the HC spot to do it.

Ludicrous.

If Jerry Jones really wanted to do something to fix the situation, he could just sweeten Garrets deal, possibly even putting in writing that Garret is the HC as soon as Wade Phillips feels like stepping down. But it isn't like Jones doesn't have the money to throw at Garret, if he really wanted to keep him.

Phillips has done a good job in Dallas. He even has T.O. standing up for him. That doesn't happen every day. Hard to imagine firing a guy just to keep a wet behind the ears O.C.

he hate me (1/5/2008)
What goes around comes around. Jerry Jones stole Bobby Petrino. Arthur Blank should steal Jason Garrett. Revenge is sweet.

The sweetest revenge is that Petrino skipped off to Arkansas and now the two top RB's at Arkansas are declaring for the draft.

Facts is, if they stay with the Hogs they won't be running the ball as much.

Hey QUITrino, your running backs just slammed the door on your plan.

Now that is irony!

I agree with you, Paul. I don't feel Garrett would stay here long if Jones or any other organization continues to offer him more. He certainly has "Cowboys" written all over him. We need someone who is experienced and loyal. For Singletary to have interviewed last year by Blank and not been hired and still wanting to coach ere now says alot about him. My only concern with Singletary is who would run the offense.