What would make Tom Heckert a better GM

Twinblade

Twinblade (1/5/2008)
Question, I really don't know much about him, maybe somebody can explain to me why they think he will be better then Rich McKay, I am looking forward to a new GM and HC btw.

Heckert will build the offensive and defensive lines. Philly can MASH because they have talent close to the ball on both sides. Heckert will also have a physical team. McKay drafted some great players at Tampa in Sapp and Brooks but he never built a good offensive line at either Atlanta nor Tampa. Heckert will and has done so for Philly

My thoughts:

1) He was around an organization that set and achieved a high standard (4 straight NFC Conference Championship Game appearances).

2) They established a business practice of not signing or re-signing aging players (Troy Vincent, Jeremiah Trotter, Bobby Taylor) unless the deal was a bargain, a prudent business practice IMO.

3) I admire that the Eagles didn't cave during the T.O. saga. They recognized they made a deal with the devil, but instead of renegotiating with him - they cut the chord. Such an outlook and policy might have served the Falcons well in recent times.

4) They are usually drafting toward the end of each stanza but still are able to replenish their depth quite ably. The 2005 draft produced 5 current starters and they're renowned for finding UDFA talent.

5) The Eagles cap guy is Joe Banner who is regarded as one of the best in the business. I would suspect that Heckert would understand the value of finding a similar talent to help in that area. I don't ever remember the Eagles being in bad salary cap shape.

To what degree Heckert is responsible for te Eagles success and philosophy, I don't know, but his familiarity for doing things in what I think is the right way is a definite plus.

g-dawg (1/5/2008)
Twinblade (1/5/2008)
Question, I really don't know much about him, maybe somebody can explain to me why they think he will be better then Rich McKay, I am looking forward to a new GM and HC btw.

Heckert will build the offensive and defensive lines. Philly can MASH because they have talent close to the ball on both sides. Heckert will also have a physical team. McKay drafted some great players at Tampa in Sapp and Brooks but he never built a good offensive line at either Atlanta nor Tampa. Heckert will and has done so for Philly

Sounds like his philosophy would work well with Singletary as HC

TheDirtyWordII (1/5/2008)
My thoughts:

1) He was around an organization that set and achieved a high standard (4 straight NFC Conference Championship Game appearances).

2) They established a business practice of not signing or re-signing aging players (Troy Vincent, Jeremiah Trotter, Bobby Taylor) unless the deal was a bargain, a prudent business practice IMO.

3) I admire that the Eagles didn't cave during the T.O. saga. They recognized they made a deal with the devil, but instead of renegotiating with him - they cut the chord. Such an outlook and policy might have served the Falcons well in recent times.

4) They are usually drafting toward the end of each stanza but still are able to replenish their depth quite ably. The 2005 draft produced 5 current starters and they're renowned for finding UDFA talent.

5) The Eagles cap guy is Joe Banner who is regarded as one of the best in the business. I would suspect that Heckert would understand the value of finding a similar talent to help in that area. I don't ever remember the Eagles being in bad salary cap shape.

To what degree Heckert is responsible for te Eagles success and philosophy, I don't know, but his familiarity for doing things in what I think is the right way is a definite plus.

I agree. Also, just ask yourself, "How hard is it to build a 4-12 team?". I'm not saying Heckert will bring us a superbowl next year, but as I look at this team void of talent all I can say the only place we can go is up.