Hot Coordinator v. Tough Guy

etherdome

Every year, there are hot new coordinators looking of HC positions. I don't have a list to give you, but if you try, you can come up with one. Once in a while, there is a tough guy with old school values that is hired. The question I have is this: What type of guy has a better chance of succeeding?

I tend to believe that the tough guy would have a better record.

The tough guy sets the tone of the team and tends to know his players personally. He also tends to delegate coordination to younger, more studious types. He concerns himself with the overall picture and leaves the details to more qualified people. He is a very direct communicator. In other words, the "tough guy" tends to be a better leader.

The hot coordinator tends to act more independently and does not trust enough to delegate. He tends to solve the team's problems by locking himself in the film room and coming up with intellectual solutions. He tends to treat his players like pawns that he fits into schemes. Communication is viewed as secondary to precision.

If it were up to me, I would rather have a Head Coach like Singletary than the next new coordinator like Garrett. I could be wrong; maybe Garrett is a great communicator and would make a great HC. But, from what I see, Singletary should be the choice.

bgarcia28 (1/5/2008)
Every year, there are hot new coordinators looking of HC positions. I don't have a list to give you, but if you try, you can come up with one. Once in a while, there is a tough guy with old school values that is hired. The question I have is this: What type of guy has a better chance of succeeding?

The tough guy sets the tone of the team and tends to know his players personally. He also tends to delegate coordination to younger, more studious types. He concerns himself with the overall picture and leaves the details to more qualified people. He is a very direct communicator. In other words, the "tough guy" tends to be a better leader.

The hot coordinator tends to act more independently and does not trust enough to delegate. He tends to solve the team's problems by locking himself in the film room and coming up with intellectual solutions. He tends to treat his players like pawns that he fits into schemes. Communication is viewed as secondary to precision.

If it were up to me, I would rather have a Head Coach like Singletary than the next new coordinator like Garrett. I could be wrong; maybe Garrett is a great communicator and would make a great HC. But, from what I see, Singletary should be the choice.

I agree. Everybody keeps saying the head coach should specialize in an area. Why. The head coach is responsible for working with his coordinators to gameplan and making sure that the team is fired up and ready to play. There are very few head coaches that call their own plays and are successful. Most of them delegate that responsibility to their coordinators.

bgarcia28 (1/5/2008)

This is a Very well written and thoughtout post. :)

I don't think we need another "tough guy" after Petrino. Ideally a smart coordinator with people skills will be best. If Blank tries to bring in another disciplinarian after the disaster that Petrino was, expect a lot of our veterans and key players to complain and ask for trades.

falconva7 (1/5/2008)
I don't think we need another "tough guy" after Petrino. Ideally a smart coordinator with people skills will be best. If Blank tries to bring in another disciplinarian after the disaster that Petrino was, expect a lot of our veterans and key players to complain and ask for trades.

Pretendo's not exactly a disciplinarian or tough guy...

Pretendo happens to be void of social skills :pinch: it just so happened that his playcalling and decision making was worst then his manners. :ermm::crazy:

Strong in stature and fortitude's what Singletary brings to the table by contrast.

falconva7 (1/5/2008)

Petrino fits the Hot Coordinator profile. He views his players as pawns. He locks himself in the film room and tries to find his answers there. Petrino was no tough guy...just an unfeeling jerk.

He tends to treat his players like pawns that he fits into schemes. Communication is viewed as secondary to precision.

Take away the precision and you do have Petrino.

Most coaches, except Jim Mora Jr, are tough guys. You have to be at that level. You are no longer coaching boys you are motivating paid pros who are men. Coaches without those qualities should not be considered.

Now, how is it that singletary is more of a tough guy than other coaches? Bellicheck is a tough guy, Parcells, Coughlin, Marty, Cowher....all tough guys. There are plenty of tough guys out there for the Falcons job and they have more than 5 years as a linebackers coach under their belt.

I understand the fascination with Singletary as most FEEL that his on-field strength will translate to coaching. There are no guarantees folks and 5 years as a coach is a mighty big risk to take with a coach. So why he may be the FEEL good choice, try to keep emotion out of it and THINK about who has the knowledge, experience, wisdom AND toughness to lead this team.

Bgarcia, nice to see you. I would think that all those years on the AOL Private Falcons board would have you a little more cynical and hungry for a seasoned vet for a coach ;)

The Ravens are all but Ignoring him after he has been a coach for their team before.

Wow, a very interesting point.

This guy was a Ravens coach and Ray Lewis LOVED him so why havent we heard his name mentioned for the Ravens spot? Sure they could be keeping it quiet but have we heard Singletary say how he would like THAT job?

He sure is singing about how he wants the Falcons gig.

Thats some food for thought, great post by the way.

JaGz (1/5/2008)
Im still cautious of Singletary, He hasn't made much a difference to San Fran even after getting better talent and The Ravens are all but Ignoring him after he has been a coach for their team before.

Nolan is the head man in SF. I'm not sure what the assistant HC does but it's the HC whose job is on the line when it's contract time. The difference in San Fran should have been made on the offensive side of the ball and that would have helped the D and their team as a whole.

falcons4life (1/5/2008)
The Ravens are all but Ignoring him after he has been a coach for their team before.

Wow, a very interesting point.

This guy was a Ravens coach and Ray Lewis LOVED him so why havent we heard his name mentioned for the Ravens spot? Sure they could be keeping it quiet but have we heard Singletary say how he would like THAT job?

He sure is singing about how he wants the Falcons gig.

Thats some food for thought, great post by the way.

I too, agree with this point.........there is something "fishy" about this whole Singletary thing. I don't know exactly what - I wonder if, outside of the Falcons, if anybody would be interested in Mike Singletary/Head Coach.

Ravens not interested in interviewing Singletary after having been coach there.

Only coached under Billick/Nolan

Nolan "passed over" Mike Singletary twice to be defensive coordinator.

Something's rotten in Denmark:P!!!!!

ol_dirty2 (1/5/2008)

Nolan is the head man in SF. I'm not sure what the assistant HC does but it's the HC whose job is on the line when it's contract time. The difference in San Fran should have been made on the offensive side of the ball and that would have helped the D and their team as a whole.

Yes Nolan is the Head Coach who delegates duties to coaches and assistants. linebackers and assistant head coach is his title 49ers D gave up 3 less points a game that the falcons did 11 less total yrds a game than ATL did , 9 less rushing yards a game than ATL did and .7 passing yards a game than ATL did. San Fran's D was in the bottom 10 of most stats all year long with Atlanta. At least Garrett's O was 2nd in total score per game, 3rd in total yrds a game, 4th in passing yrds a game and 16th in rushing yrds a game. So lets review what we have proff of San Fran with MS was toward the bottom of the list with know high paid talent. and JG was top3 or 4 in almost all his area with known high paid talent.. Make your pick wisely. Not by any other attribute.

falcons4life (1/5/2008)
He tends to treat his players like pawns that he fits into schemes. Communication is viewed as secondary to precision.

Take away the precision and you do have Petrino.

Most coaches, except Jim Mora Jr, are tough guys. You have to be at that level. You are no longer coaching boys you are motivating paid pros who are men. Coaches without those qualities should not be considered.

Now, how is it that singletary is more of a tough guy than other coaches? Bellicheck is a tough guy, Parcells, Coughlin, Marty, Cowher....all tough guys. There are plenty of tough guys out there for the Falcons job and they have more than 5 years as a linebackers coach under their belt.

I understand the fascination with Singletary as most FEEL that his on-field strength will translate to coaching. There are no guarantees folks and 5 years as a coach is a mighty big risk to take with a coach. So why he may be the FEEL good choice, try to keep emotion out of it and THINK about who has the knowledge, experience, wisdom AND toughness to lead this team.

Bgarcia, nice to see you. I would think that all those years on the AOL Private Falcons board would have you a little more cynical and hungry for a seasoned vet for a coach ;)

I used Singletary as an example, but you are right. There are plenty of tough guys out there. I prefer them over the next "genius."

JaGz (1/5/2008)
ol_dirty2 (1/5/2008)

Yes Nolan is the Head Coach who delegates duties to coaches and assistants. linebackers and assistant head coach is his title 49ers D gave up 3 less points a game that the falcons did 11 less total yrds a game than ATL did , 9 less rushing yards a game than ATL did and .7 passing yards a game than ATL did. San Fran's D was in the bottom 10 of most stats all year long with Atlanta. At least Garrett's O was 2nd in total score per game, 3rd in total yrds a game, 4th in passing yrds a game and 16th in rushing yrds a game. So lets review what we have proff of San Fran with MS was toward the bottom of the list with know high paid talent. and JG was top3 or 4 in almost all his area with known high paid talent.. Make your pick wisely. Not by any other attribute.

Garrett stinks of Billick so bad it isn't funny. Look at the talent Billick had at Min and how he was tabbed as an offensive guru and then look at his offenses at Baltimore. Now look at Garretts talent he has at Dallas. I'm not saying he will not make a good head coach some day, but look at his personell he has at Dallas. Maybe I'm looking too far into this. It just looks all too similar to me.

Our HC doesn't need to be an X's and O's genius, our OC/DC does. Our HC needs to be a leader this team can respect.

See Petrino vs. Thomas. Do you think Thomas had a 100 page play book of plays to choose from? No. However, he was a person the players greatly respected and wanted to WIN for. The later 2 of the 3 games he was coach for us were the best games we saw all season, were they not?

falcons4life (1/5/2008)
Our HC doesn't need to be an X's and O's genius, our OC/DC does. Our HC needs to be a leader this team can respect.

So let's hire General Norman Schwarzkoff.

How about motivational speaker Tony Robbins?

That kind of thinking will land us the first pick in the draft for the next 5 years.

He said not an x's and o's genius. That doesn't mean no knowledge of football.

So some knowledge is OK?

Lombardi, Landry, Shula, Gibbs, Parcells, Bellicheck......all at the genius level when it comes to X's and O's and guess what....all tough guys who motivate, lead and inspire players.

There are guys out there today who might never be added to the list of those guys above but they fit the mold of motivator and genius. So why wouldnt you want the whole package instead of just a portion?

falcons4life (1/5/2008)

So some knowledge is OK?

Lombardi, Landry, Shula, Gibbs, Parcells, Bellicheck......all at the genius level when it comes to X's and O's and guess what....all tough guys who motivate, lead and inspire players.

There are guys out there today who might never be added to the list of those guys above but they fit the mold of motivator and genius. So why wouldnt you want the whole package instead of just a portion?

So what makes you think that Singletary doesn't know his x's and o's? I won't make the claim to say he definitely does, but I want you to tell me you definitely know that he doesn't. It's all speculation at this point. We will not know until he shows us, whether with us or another team. All I do know is the players he has been responsible for have played tremendously.

Everyone is quick to point out the defensive stats of SF without pointing out that their offense was dreadful which left the defense in a bind all the time. They also do not mention how good the Ravens D was when he was there, in particular Ray Lewis having two of his better years.

I think he is more than capable of inspiring more than just linebackers if that was his responsibility. He seems to think he is up to the task and seems to want the challenge of making this team a winner unlike most everyone else who's been mentioned.

So what makes you think that Singletary doesn't know his x's and o's? I won't make the claim to say he definitely does, but I want you to tell me you definitely know that he doesn't. It's all speculation at this point. We will not know until he shows us, whether with us or another team. All I do know is the players he has been responsible for have played tremendously.

Maybe he does know but if he does, why is he still a LB coach? Why isnt his old team where he coached jumping to get him as their coach?

My point is that with only 5 years how can he be a real super X's and O's guy? Same goes with Garrett in Dallas with only 3 years.

If you were having surgery would you want a guy operating on you who has 5 years experience to do the job or 15?

Hiring someone to manage your computer company...a guy with 5 years or 20?

Its just common sense. Singletary might turn out to be a great coach someday but do you want the Falcons to take such a risk right now or go with someone who is a smarter, safer, more experienced?

As far as his players being tremendous. Ray Lewis was tremendous before Singeltary got there and as far as SF, even with the defensive rookie of the year the san fran defense still stunk so I dont know where you are culling your info from.

Smashmouth (1/5/2008)
falconva7 (1/5/2008)

Pretendo's not exactly a disciplinarian or tough guy...

Pretendo happens to be void of social skills :pinch: it just so happened that his playcalling and decision making was worst then his manners. :ermm::crazy:

Strong in stature and fortitude's what Singletary brings to the table by contrast.

Well he was touted a no-nonsense type of coach when he was brought in. The Anti-Mora if you will. And I distinctly remember some members of this board saying "so what if the players don't like Petrino, he's a coach who will kick you in the *** instead of kissing you on the cheek like Mora!"

Everyone painted him out to be a tough guy coach, and fining a player $100k for yelling at him was a pretty tough move, it just turned out that he was a jack**.

falcons4life (1/5/2008)

Maybe he does know but if he does, why is he still a LB coach? Why isnt his old team where he coached jumping to get him as their coach?

My point is that with only 5 years how can he be a real super X's and O's guy? Same goes with Garrett in Dallas with only 3 years.

If you were having surgery would you want a guy operating on you who has 5 years experience to do the job or 15?

Hiring someone to manage your computer company...a guy with 5 years or 20?

Its just common sense. Singletary might turn out to be a great coach someday but do you want the Falcons to take such a risk right now or go with someone who is a smarter, safer, more experienced?

As far as his players being tremendous. Ray Lewis was tremendous before Singeltary got there and as far as SF, even with the defensive rookie of the year the san fran defense still stunk so I dont know where you are culling your info from.

He wasn't the defensive coordinator. He is the linebackers coach. His players did very well. The other guys players didn't.