ESPN.com-Comments from Len Pasquarelli

tsmith

Some additional input regarding Blank's search.

" Falcons' GM search: The Atlanta Falcons have interviewed two known candidates, Green Bay director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie and Green Bay personnel analyst John Schneider, for their general manager position. A third presumed candidate, Colts vice president of football operations Chris Polian, who ESPN.com reported would interview on Thursday with Blank, opted not to pursue the job. But it's the candidate who is next in line for an interview, Philadelphia general manager Tom Heckert, who many believe is the favorite to replace Rich McKay in overseeing Atlanta's football operation. Heckert is set to arrive in Atlanta on Sunday for Monday's interview, and a league source says he has been highly recommended to Blank by Eagles owner Jeff Lurie. Heckert has an excellent track record as a talent evaluator, and there aren't a lot of franchises that can match Philadelphia's draft record during his tenure.

That the Eagles' brass feels compelled to allow Heckert to audition for a job that, at least nominally, appears to be a lateral move, is somewhat telling. First, it suggests that, while Heckert has the GM title in Philadelphia, head coach Andy Reid still possesses the final authority on personnel matters. Second, it's not likely that Lurie and team president Joe Banner would be championing Heckert to Blank if they felt Reid, as some have suggested in the wake of his two sons' recent legal problems, is ready to step aside. No matter the titles involved, Reid still calls the shots for the Eagles, and that's pretty obvious. Heckert might not have as high a profile as some general managers in the league, and he's never sought out the spotlight, but he is the kind of solid, experienced and hardworking football man the reeling Falcons need. And the same can be said of McKenzie, who has worked hard, earned his stripes, and has come close to landing other GM positions in recent years. Blank typically likes to make the headline-type acquisition -- thus, his failed pursuit of Parcells, who came within a day or so of running the Atlanta operation -- but what the Falcons need more than a big splash is some stability.

Heckert has an excellent track record as a talent evaluator, and there aren't a lot of franchises that can match Philadelphia's draft record during his tenure.

-- but what the Falcons need more than a big name is stability

Well said, Lenny P. (for once!)

Heckert is who ATL needs

It almost seems like Blank is just looking at the hot teams in the NFL right now and just picking from their front offices.

IMO it takes more than just a good GM to make the organization a winner. I hope that Blank isn't just looking at the records and saying, "if this team is a success then this guy should be able to make my team a success."

coryb78 (1/4/2008)
It almost seems like Blank is just looking at the hot teams in the NFL right now and just picking from their front offices.

IMO it takes more than just a good GM to make the organization a winner. I hope that Blank isn't just looking at the records and saying, "if this team is a success then this guy should be able to make my team a success."

Its a good place to start, organizations that are successful over time.

coryb78 (1/4/2008)

I don't have the figures, but every year, PHI is comfortably under the cap. They draft a player before they actually need him. That way, they pick him up late (& cheap), let him learn and develop, and then when their #1 guy is ready to retire, they have someone to slide in there without missing a beat. I'm sure it would take a couple of years and the signing of some vets to get it in motion, but yes - if it works for them, it can work for the Falcons.

coryb78 (1/4/2008)

if anything blank is looking at the past decade of any consistant winning team and hoping to get someone from that franchise.

bozoatl (1/4/2008)
Heckert has an excellent track record as a talent evaluator, and there aren't a lot of franchises that can match Philadelphia's draft record during his tenure.

-- but what the Falcons need more than a big name is stability

Well said, Lenny P. (for once!)

i am all for it and appreciate ABs efforts

Heckert is who ATL needs

coryb78 (1/4/2008)

Why do you think he hired McKay to begin with? Blank is making and has made all the decisions for the Falcons, somehow believing he knows what in **** he's doing when he reality he's completely clueless.

You all need a lot more than a GM and a head Coach. You need an owner that knows his limitations.:rolleyes:

Johnnybuc (1/4/2008)
coryb78 (1/4/2008)

Why do you think he hired McKay to begin with? Blank is making and has made all the decisions for the Falcons, somehow believing he knows what in **** he's doing when he reality he's completely clueless.

You all need a lot more than a GM and a head Coach. You need an owner that knows his limitations.:rolleyes:

Why do you think he hired a consultant this time? Maybe he finally figured out he needed someone who knew more about football than he did to help with the search.

Johnnybuc (1/4/2008)

ALL OF THIS MAY BE TRUE. BUT YOU MUST REMEMBER ONE THING : "THE BOSS IS THE BOSS!":)

What he's doing makes perfect sense. Essentially, he's trying to build this team in the off season from ground zero. Face it, we smashed through the pavement in April and got buried DEEP! There's no where to go but back up now.

If you were trying to build a team to be successful for the longhaul (5-10 years at least) of consistent winning, you are going to look at people from Philly, GB, Dallas, NE and Indy and bring them in. Call and interview people from Miami , St. Louis, Cincinatti and West Arkansas Christian Community college if you want another 15 years of losing Falcons football.

Give the man a break, he's not packing in in. He's trying to build his team into a winner without Vick. No one saw April coming until it was too late. Now it's over and we move on.

defensedefensedefense (1/4/2008)
I would be happy with Heckert, but i would be ecstatic if Blank hired Reggie McKenzie...

I honestly don't understand the logic here. What has McKenzie done that would make him more desirable? Green Bay has been average at the very best the last few years. In my opinion, their success this year has a lot to do with the fact that they play in a relatively weak division (Chicago took a major step backwards due to injuries on defense, no real running game, no legitimate receiving threat, and inconsistant play from the QBs. Detroit started strong, but failed in the long run as they usually do, and Minny has had massive issues on offense ever since Moss left.) and they have a 1st ballot Hall of Famer at QB (who McKenzie had nothing to do with bringing to GB). Other than drafting A.J. Hawk and getting lucky with a 4th string RB showing up for a few games late this year, I don't see anything positive McKenzie could've contributed to that team.

On the other hand, prior to this season, the Eagles have been a consistent playoff calibur team in the NFC for the last several seasons. They also seem to be good about stockpiling draft picks and doing a great job of managing the salary cap.

I'm not saying McKenzie would be a bad choice, but I just think it's pretty obvious that Heckert has been more directly involved with a more consistently successful team. OF course, there is always the arguement of how much the decisions in Philly revolved around Reid vs. Heckert...

Johnnybuc (1/4/2008)
coryb78 (1/4/2008)

Do you have ANY evidence to corroborate this rubbish? Is there any evidence of Blank deciding wo we pursue in free agency, or making Draft decisions, or deciding which players should get cut, or deciding what schemes that are being run, or which players should be on the field?

Rich McKay left the Bucs because he wasn't prepared to share power with and lose power to Gruden, so there is no way that he comes to Atanta and allows Blank to make all of the decisons.

ukfalc (1/5/2008)
Johnnybuc (1/4/2008)
coryb78 (1/4/2008)

Do you have ANY evidence to corroborate this rubbish? Is there any evidence of Blank deciding wo we pursue in free agency, or making Draft decisions, or deciding which players should get cut, or deciding what schemes that are being run, or which players should be on the field?

Rich McKay left the Bucs because he wasn't prepared to share power with and lose power to Gruden, so there is no way that he comes to Atanta and allows Blank to make all of the decisons.

That's it Skippy. You just keep your head buried in the sand. :rolleyes:

k-train (1/5/2008)
I would be happy with Heckert, but i would be ecstatic if Blank hired Reggie McKenzie...

I honestly don't understand the logic here. What has McKenzie done that would make him more desirable? Green Bay has been average at the very best the last few years. In my opinion, their success this year has a lot to do with the fact that they play in a relatively weak division (Chicago took a major step backwards due to injuries on defense, no real running game, no legitimate receiving threat, and inconsistant play from the QBs. Detroit started strong, but failed in the long run as they usually do, and Minny has had massive issues on offense ever since Moss left.) and they have a 1st ballot Hall of Famer at QB (who McKenzie had nothing to do with bringing to GB). Other than drafting A.J. Hawk and getting lucky with a 4th string RB showing up for a few games late this year, I don't see anything positive McKenzie could've contributed to that team.

On the other hand, prior to this season, the Eagles have been a consistent playoff calibur team in the NFC for the last several seasons. They also seem to be good about stockpiling draft picks and doing a great job of managing the salary cap.

I'm not saying McKenzie would be a bad choice, but I just think it's pretty obvious that Heckert has been more directly involved with a more consistently successful team. OF course, there is always the arguement of how much the decisions in Philly revolved around Reid vs. Heckert...

McKenzie has been with the Packers for a long time. He was Ron Wolf's assistant for many years and learned his trade from him. McKenzie took over a team that sustained massive injuries and retirements along the OL and that was lacking in defensive personnel. Once Ron Wolf retired, he methodically rebuilt the OL and drafted good young defenders. Consequently, the Packers are now climbing the ranks of the NFC. They also have an experienced understudy to their franchise QB. In my eyes, McKenzie has a very strong resume. Keep in mind that he did not benefit from having a father in the business.....he got this far on his own.

Tom Heckert has been with the Eagles since 2001. In that time, the Eagles have done a good job of drafting. They have been denied in the playoffs primarily because of poor WR play. However, you can not ignore the work that the personnel department has done. Reid has final say over personnel matters and Heckert has repeated claimed that there have not been conflicts between him and Reid during drafts. Although his time in Miami does not look so good, his work in Philly is evident.

If Heckert is truly a gifted personnel evaluator, then I am all for him. All I am saying is that I would not go on simple recent appearances. And, I certainly would not trust the opinion of Pasquerelli. I think that Arthur is doing the right thing by interviewing as many candidates as possible. From what I see, the candidates look strong and I am confident that any of them will improve our drafts and overall personnel department.

k-train (1/5/2008)

K-Train,

your argument is very persuasive and I agree......I'm not saying McKenzie would be "bad" either but there is no denying that Heckert has the better resume'

Johnnybuc (1/4/2008)
coryb78 (1/4/2008)

Whats funny is you making statements that you believe to be fact without any evidence what-so-ever to back it up. How in the **** do you know what decisions Blank is or isn't making? You don't.

Although his time in Miami does not look so good, his work in Philly is evident.

If Heckert is truly a gifted personnel evaluator, then I am all for him. All I am saying is that I would not go on simple recent appearances. And, I certainly would not trust the opinion of Pasquerelli. I think that Arthur is doing the right thing by interviewing as many candidates as possible. From what I see, the candidates look strong and I am confident that any of them will improve our drafts and overall personnel department.

Actually, while the draft results during his stay in Miami were kinda strange, Miami was pretty decent until Heckert left for Philly. The Dolphins went 9-7 and made the playoffs in '99, 11-5 in 2000. They didn't show signs of falling apart until '04. Meanwhile, the Eagles looked great once he came on board... 11-5 in '01, 12-4 in '02 and '03, 13-3 in '04, 6-10 in '05 (I think they had major injury issues that year), 10-6 in '06, and 8-8 this year.

ghoticov (1/5/2008)
Johnnybuc (1/4/2008)
coryb78 (1/4/2008)

Whats funny is you making statements that you believe to be fact without any evidence what-so-ever to back it up. How in the **** do you know what decisions Blank is or isn't making? You don't.

Oh, I see......He had nothing to do with hiring Petrino, with giving Vick $130 Million, I guess that was his evil twin brother pushing Vick's wheelchair on the sideline of the Cowboys game. I guess he had absolutely nothing to do with giving the okay to all the moves that his GM was making.

I'm not saying it's all Blank, McKay owns a good share of the blame also, but who hired McKay? He, like most of you thought McKay was the reason we won Super Bowl XXXVII and had one of the better defenses in the league. Here it is 4 years later and I believe anyone here would say you're a lot further away than you were 4 years ago. I guess these are not facts. That's cool, you just hate me pointing out the NUMEROUS deficiencies of your owner and his decisions.

ukfalc (1/5/2008)

That's it Skippy. You just keep your head buried in the sand. :rolleyes:

Thanks JB.

Clearly you have absolutely no evidence at all to back up your earlier statement. You're just blowing smoke as ever, but nice try though...

Evidence???????????????? You have got to be kidding! Take a look at your team! Look at all the crackerjack decisions that have been made by your owner.

You are freaking hilarious! Like I said, You just keep your head buried in the sand!;)

Oh, I see......He had nothing to do with hiring Petrino, with giving Vick $130 Million, I guess that was his evil twin brother pushing Vick's wheelchair on the sideline of the Cowboys game. I guess he had absolutely nothing to do with giving the okay to all the moves that his GM was making.

If anyone is to blame for the Vick situation, it is the criminal himself and the huggers who would have abandoned the team in a heart beat had we not grossly ovepaird to keep their hero on the team. Blank had little choice but to pay up to keep the franchsie player, and his decison weas perfectly understandable given (a) that this team already had the stigma of allowing 2 future HOFers (Favre and Deon) to leave and (B) that Blank wanted to prove to the fans that he was prepared to do whatever it takes to win, and his desire to succeed would have been severaly questioned had he allowed YKW to leave.

At the time the Petrino hire made sense given that we were depsate for an offensive orientated staff that could develop #7 in to a competent passer. It may well have worked out if YKW hadn't turned out to be a dog-fighting scumbag. As it was, Petrino inheritted a much different team/situation than it initially appeared in january 2007. In the circumstances I can understand Petrino for wanting to leave (although I do have an issue with the fact that he didn't have the honesty, decency or respect to be straight with Blank, McKay, his own coaching staff, the players and the fans).

One minute you blame Blank for making all of the bad decisons fans himself, then you blame him for allowing Mckay to make decisons. You don't know who is making the decisons, or how much say blank has, let alone how much say other NFL owners as a comparison to Blank. As I've said, you are just blowing smoke out of your rear end.

The funny thing is that your team wins the weakest divison in football by default because the other teams are torn apart by injuries, and suddenly you re-appear on the boards and start talking as though the Bucs as some sort of powerhouse and that it somehow makes you an authority on how to run a franchise. Since McKay left, the Bucs have won fewer games that we have, even though Bruce Allen inheritted a team that had won the super bowl only 11 months earlier...