Cap implications of cutting some palyers

capATL

I have seen several mocks and off season plans that suggest cutting many of our current players. Here are some of the cap hits and salaries that would be in play for these decisions. Does this information change anyone'e mind about cuts?

[sources: http://www.falcfans.com/features/2008cap.html

http://www.falcfans.com/features/2007cap.html If these numbers are off, please feel free to post your information. Also, if anyone has a better/more up-to-date sources I would like a link.]

Brooking has 2 more years on his contract.

$3.4 million in cap hit to cut him

$8.54 to keep him this year.

Coleman has 2 more years on his contract.

$1.34 million to cut him

$6.2 to keep him this year.

Crumpler has 3 more years on his contract.

$5.25 million to cut him

$5.15 to keep him this year.

Harrington has 1 more year on his contract.

$1.3 million to cut him

$32.1 mil to keep him this year.

Leftwich has 1 more year on his contract

$0 to cut him [i don't know if he has any guarantees]

$2.35 million to keep him.

Forney has 1 more year on his contract.

$630,000 to cut him

$3.58 mil to keep him this year.

Jenkins has 2 more years on his contract.

$1.2 million to cut him

$1.34 to keep him this year.

Horn has 2 more years on his contract.

$3 million to cut him

$2 to keep him this year.

I just can't see cutting Crumpler. He can still bring it, and its almost like we get him for free rather than cutting him. I would like to see him report a little lighter this next year though.

I also think that Jenkins is worth another year since we are not very deep after Roddy and Laurent. Probably Horn also. I would consider keeping Harrington, but letting Leftwich go. Redman is a free agent.

Again, I am not 100% comfortable with the reliability of this info.

Brooking has 2 more years on his contract.

$3.4 million in cap hit to cut him

$8.54 to keep him this year.

Coleman has 2 more years on his contract.

$1.34 million to cut him

$6.2 to keep him this year.

Harrington has 1 more year on his contract.

$1.3 million to cut him

$2.1 mil to keep him this year.

Leftwich has 1 more year on his contract

$0 to cut him [i don't know if he has any guarantees]

$2.35 million to keep him.

So, if we cut Hoey, Alwayson IR Coleman, Leftwich, Brooking and Dunn, we can save 18 mil from the cap.

I think Crumpler looked much better the second half of the season, especially with Redman under center.

I also think we should hang on to Jenkins and Horn until training camp, no matter what we do in free agency or the draft. We need to carry 5 serviceable receivers into the 2008 season, which unfortunately means we'll probably have to keep at least one of them.

I'm hoping we pick up Bryant Johnson or Bernard Berrian in free agency, so that the depth chart would look something like this:

#1: Roddy W.

#2: Bryant J./Bernard B.

#3 (slot): Laurent R.

#4: Michael J./Joe H.

#5: Adam J.

You can't discount us drafting a receiver this year, either, though - especially depending on who the new GM and coach are. I just pray it's not in the first two rounds when there are more pressing needs...

virginiafalcon (1/4/2008)
I think Crumpler looked much better the second half of the season, especially with Redman under center.

I also think we should hang on to Jenkins and Horn until training camp, no matter what we do in free agency or the draft. We need to carry 5 serviceable receivers into the 2008 season, which unfortunately means we'll probably have to keep at least one of them.

I'm hoping we pick up Bryant Johnson or Bernard Berrian in free agency, so that the depth chart would look something like this:

#1: Roddy W.

#2: Bryant J./Bernard B.

#3 (slot): Laurent R.

#4: Michael J./Joe H.

#5: Adam J.

You can't discount us drafting a receiver this year, either, though - especially depending on who the new GM and coach are. I just pray it's not in the first two rounds when there are more pressing needs...

Completely Agree bout Crump played better late, but need to completely retool the wideout corp. White and Robinson stay all the rest should be looking for job somewhere else esp. Adam Jennings dude is a hot mess.

If the data is correct, these would be my moves:

Cut:

Brooking....he is a great leader, but sorry, we have to move on.

Coleman....I would keep him but his injury risk makes his cap hit unbearable.

Leftwich....injuries

Forney.....a zone blocker like him should bring some trade value.

Harrington...nice guy but not a full time starter. Redman can fill his role for a lot less.

Keep:

Crumpler....I am shocked to see people so down on him. He was injured and toughed it out. He will return next season carrying less weight and scoring TD's. He is a keeper.

Jenkins...unless we can find a similar player for a lot less money, we keep him and give him a final chance to become our new Finneran.

Horn....injuries hold him back but he is a savy veteran that can help with the continued deveopment of White and Robinson.

If we can gain enough cap space, we can get into the Haynesworth sweepstakes. If not Haynseswoth, then Faneca.

The stays and goes are pretty plain to see. The thing I can't figure out is why anyone would want to get rid of Crumpler??? The rest of those guys, with the possible exception of Brooking, are expendable if better alternatives are out there in FA, but finding a TE that can stretch the field is VERY hard. Sure he's had some injuries, but that doesn't mean I want him gone...