Regarding our next coach

First, hello to all of you, my fellow Atlanta Falcons fans. My new family.

There is a lot of talk on this board regarding our next coach, and who it will be. Who people want and don't want. But there is a lot of conjecture. Everyone seems to think good candidates don't want to come here

Remember people, these candidates are interviewing for a HEAD COACHING JOB IN THE NFL. It's not like they are the Notre Dame coach asking for tips about a job at Akron. They have worked their whole lives to get to this point and for people to continue to think that coaches don't have an interest in coming here is insane. Aside from the fact that we are a young team with good young talent, it's not like we know the personalities, inside and out, of all these coaches.

Perhaps some coaches do indeed want that first HC job to be with an established playoff team, deep with veteran talent. Maybe they need that and can make an easy transition.

But perhaps there are some that relish the challenge. That relish the thought of being able to mold the team from scratch, to build it just how they want it. This is that chance. This is the chance they have to draft who they want, sign who they want.

It's a chance to establish your own identity, not to merely win with a team that's already good enough.

These are the Atlanta **cking Falcons. This is our team. We want the man who is going to come in here and take the reins of this team. For the Cowher's out there, **k you. We don't want you then. Give me that young coach with fire in his eyes and an unwavering committment to excellence. Give me pedigree and intelligence and committment.

Give me Singletary. Give me Garrett. Give me anyone who wants to make us a winner as bad as our players want to become one. Give us, the fans, something to root for; not just this year, but every year.

These are our Falcons, and dammit I love them.

David Ethan (1/4/2008)
First, hello to all of you, my fellow Atlanta Falcons fans. My new family.

There is a lot of talk on this board regarding our next coach, and who it will be. Who people want and don't want. But there is a lot of conjecture. Everyone seems to think good candidates don't want to come here

Remember people, these candidates are interviewing for a HEAD COACHING JOB IN THE NFL. It's not like they are the Notre Dame coach asking for tips about a job at Akron. They have worked their whole lives to get to this point and for people to continue to think that coaches don't have an interest in coming here is insane. Aside from the fact that we are a young team with good young talent, it's not like we know the personalities, inside and out, of all these coaches.

Perhaps some coaches do indeed want that first HC job to be with an established playoff team, deep with veteran talent. Maybe they need that and can make an easy transition.

But perhaps there are some that relish the challenge. That relish the thought of being able to mold the team from scratch, to build it just how they want it. This is that chance. This is the chance they have to draft who they want, sign who they want.

It's a chance to establish your own identity, not to merely win with a team that's already good enough.

These are the Atlanta **cking Falcons. This is our team. We want the man who is going to come in here and take the reins of this team. For the Cowher's out there, **k you. We don't want you then. Give me that young coach with fire in his eyes and an unwavering committment to excellence. Give me pedigree and intelligence and committment.

Give me Singletary. Give me Garrett. Give me anyone who wants to make us a winner as bad as our players want to become one. Give us, the fans, something to root for; not just this year, but every year.

These are our Falcons, and dammit I love them.

Extremely intelligent and passionate post....kudo Mr. Ethan....kudos....

It makes no difference to me, I just want someone who can command respect, knows how to lead, and isn't affraid of adveristy but rather thrives in it. My #1 choice would be Marty Schottenheimer only for the fact that he's a proven commodity but if he's not available then to me Singletary is the next best choice. Singletary might not have the coaching experience but there is no question he has the ability to lead and inspire men. Once upon a time a guy named Al Davis hired a then little known coach with a lack of experience, what was his name? Oh yea, John Madden.

texasbirdfan (1/4/2008)
Bill Belicheat was the coach of the New York Jets for one day, and then on the next day he decided to be the coach of the Patriots. That wishy-washy, not sure of what he wanted in your eyes is 16-0 and despite cheating was the overwhelming choice of coach of the year

Mixed opinions there. First, we don't know what went on with the Jets. All we know is that he's obviously one **** of a coach who is respected (highly) by his players. All the people close to him like him. He deserved the award.

Regarding the cheating scandal: this might be the most overrated story of the entire year in sports. Seriously; the team has gone 15-0 since then. What he did wasn't cheating if what he did is done by every other team (and we all know this to be true).

his personality sucks though:), imagine being at dinner with that guy. Or **** Vitale. Seriously, could there be anyone worse to have a conversation with someone as obnoxious (albeit lovingly) and intense and loud as that guy? Even during normal conversation, I feel my ears will explode!

David Ethan (1/4/2008)
Lee Long (1/4/2008)
Hey David, How did you get yer post count down to 0?

I have responded to a couple of yer post last month so it is a wonder.

someone else messaged me something similarl; apparently there is a "dave ethan" and a "david ethan"

No it was a David Ethan post about using a spread offense. Did you change your IP adress?:P

David Ethan (1/4/2008)
texasbirdfan (1/4/2008)
Bill Belicheat was the coach of the New York Jets for one day, and then on the next day he decided to be the coach of the Patriots. That wishy-washy, not sure of what he wanted in your eyes is 16-0 and despite cheating was the overwhelming choice of coach of the year

Mixed opinions there. First, we don't know what went on with the Jets. All we know is that he's obviously one **** of a coach who is respected (highly) by his players. All the people close to him like him. He deserved the award.

Regarding the cheating scandal: this might be the most overrated story of the entire year in sports. Seriously; the team has gone 15-0 since then. What he did wasn't cheating if what he did is done by every other team (and we all know this to be true).

his personality sucks though:), imagine being at dinner with that guy. Or **** Vitale. Seriously, could there be anyone worse to have a conversation with someone as obnoxious (albeit lovingly) and intense and loud as that guy? Even during normal conversation, I feel my ears will explode!

The point is though that some hesitate. In Belicheats case, he smelled something fishy and that was ol Tuna pulling the strings- which he didn't want any part of since they had worked together. I have been telling you guys about Parcells for over a year now. We are glad not to have him.

Good post though.

Much better than this one.

David Ethan (12/18/2007)
First off, I realize that unfortunately, I'm simply not going to be able to get through to most of you Philistines, but to those who are able to understand, I look forward to your replies.

A JUNE JONES/MIKE LEACH TYPE COACH WOULD NOT ONLY BE THE GREATEST THING TO HAPPEN TO THIS TEAM, BUT TO THE NFL SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE FORWARD PASS

birdfann (12/17/2007)
Just say no. I was sick of Petrino's 7 yard passing game. June Jones' is a horizontal 5 yard chuck and duck BS. No way. We need a coach who believes in running the ball down your throat and playing defense. Not a coach who'd play 6 WRs if the rules allowed it.

You're **cking retarted and it's people like you that halt offensive progress. Why the **** shouldn't you play with as many receivers as you can? TTU, where I just graduated, plays that kind of football. And with considerable less talent, we're in every game and lead the nation in offense every year. If we had even close......EVEN CLOSE....to the talent that other schools do, we'd win a championship every year.

Why power run the ball? To control the clock? Why do you think you have to do that to win? Don't you win by scoring more points than the other team? Do you think there is just one way to win?

you're a **ucking idiot, doing nothing but adhering to conventional wisdom in regards to how you think football should be played.

for example, in your "power running game", what formation would you line up in when you did decide to pass the ball? In a play action pass, with two tight ends, and a running back on the field, you have three players who essentially aren't doing anything in the play. Why not have them run routes? Why not split all of your O-lineman 5 yards apart, and spread your offense across the whole field?

You know why? Because for the most part, football is for the masses, and the masses are uneducated fools scared of change and progress who for some reason think that defense wins championships and it's better to win 7-3 than 42-34. And for what reason??

If defense that wins championships, why is every major upset in college football won on offense? (App St. vs Michigan). Why do you think the teams the underdogs are beating are always in the SEC or Big 10? Because those teams play ancient offenses that always keep the other team in the game (UL-Monroe anyone??) Why do you think Bo Schembechler at UM always got his team to the Rose Bowl only to lose (inevitably) to a PAC 10 team that actually there was a such thing as the forward pass?

Stick Mike Leach or June Jones with the crappiest team in the SEC, let them play with the talent that stays within that conference, and they win the SEC every year. Every fu**ing year.

As for their ability to coach an NFL team; why the **** not? June Jones hasn't done worse than anyone else has here, suppose you surround him with talent?

I can go on and on and on about this for days, about the petty mindset approached by many fans of this great game. It's OK. Those of us who want progress, who want a Jones/Leach offense, will continue to watch you play checkers while we play chess.

if you don't find this article, from the NY times insightful, my hope for football is seemingly lost and progress shall be further halted

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/magazine...agewanted=print

:D

Lee Long (1/4/2008)
David Ethan (1/4/2008)
Lee Long (1/4/2008)

someone else messaged me something similarl; apparently there is a "dave ethan" and a "david ethan"

No it was a David Ethan post about using a spread offense. Did you change your IP adress?:P

if I knew how to change an ip address, I'd be playing a lot more online poker than I do :)

Lee Long (1/4/2008)
Good post though.

Much better than this one.

David Ethan (12/18/2007)
First off, I realize that unfortunately, I'm simply not going to be able to get through to most of you Philistines, but to those who are able to understand, I look forward to your replies.

A JUNE JONES/MIKE LEACH TYPE COACH WOULD NOT ONLY BE THE GREATEST THING TO HAPPEN TO THIS TEAM, BUT TO THE NFL SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE FORWARD PASS

birdfann (12/17/2007)
Just say no. I was sick of Petrino's 7 yard passing game. June Jones' is a horizontal 5 yard chuck and duck BS. No way. We need a coach who believes in running the ball down your throat and playing defense. Not a coach who'd play 6 WRs if the rules allowed it.

You're **cking retarted and it's people like you that halt offensive progress. Why the **** shouldn't you play with as many receivers as you can? TTU, where I just graduated, plays that kind of football. And with considerable less talent, we're in every game and lead the nation in offense every year. If we had even close......EVEN CLOSE....to the talent that other schools do, we'd win a championship every year.

Why power run the ball? To control the clock? Why do you think you have to do that to win? Don't you win by scoring more points than the other team? Do you think there is just one way to win?

you're a **ucking idiot, doing nothing but adhering to conventional wisdom in regards to how you think football should be played.

for example, in your "power running game", what formation would you line up in when you did decide to pass the ball? In a play action pass, with two tight ends, and a running back on the field, you have three players who essentially aren't doing anything in the play. Why not have them run routes? Why not split all of your O-lineman 5 yards apart, and spread your offense across the whole field?

You know why? Because for the most part, football is for the masses, and the masses are uneducated fools scared of change and progress who for some reason think that defense wins championships and it's better to win 7-3 than 42-34. And for what reason??

If defense that wins championships, why is every major upset in college football won on offense? (App St. vs Michigan). Why do you think the teams the underdogs are beating are always in the SEC or Big 10? Because those teams play ancient offenses that always keep the other team in the game (UL-Monroe anyone??) Why do you think Bo Schembechler at UM always got his team to the Rose Bowl only to lose (inevitably) to a PAC 10 team that actually there was a such thing as the forward pass?

Stick Mike Leach or June Jones with the crappiest team in the SEC, let them play with the talent that stays within that conference, and they win the SEC every year. Every fu**ing year.

As for their ability to coach an NFL team; why the **** not? June Jones hasn't done worse than anyone else has here, suppose you surround him with talent?

I can go on and on and on about this for days, about the petty mindset approached by many fans of this great game. It's OK. Those of us who want progress, who want a Jones/Leach offense, will continue to watch you play checkers while we play chess.

if you don't find this article, from the NY times insightful, my hope for football is seemingly lost and progress shall be further halted

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/magazine...agewanted=print

:D

definitely not this guy. June Jones is NOT a good head coach, nor do I think he'd be a very good coach if he were to come back. Mike Leach's system on the otherhand, maybe. NFL defenses are probably too fast though.

David Ethan (1/4/2008)
Lee Long (1/4/2008)
David Ethan (1/4/2008)
Lee Long (1/4/2008)

if I knew how to change an ip address, I'd be playing a lot more online poker than I do :)

:w00t: win more money!!

texasbirdfan (1/4/2008)
David Ethan (1/4/2008)
texasbirdfan (1/4/2008)

The point is though that some hesitate. In Belicheats case, he smelled something fishy and that was ol Tuna pulling the strings- which he didn't want any part of since they had worked together. I have been telling you guys about Parcells for over a year now. We are glad not to have him.

I think you're right; Parcells backing out, in the long run, is good for the franchise. I'd take Hecker over him in a heartbeat

texasbirdfan (1/4/2008)
David Ethan (1/4/2008)
texasbirdfan (1/4/2008)

I think you're right; Parcells backing out, in the long run, is good for the franchise. I'd take Hecker over him in a heartbeat