Garrett, Sparano asked Wade Phillips for tips...

according to the Dallas Morning News Wade Phillips told them: "It's basically just tell them about yourself, and I (Phillips) gave them an idea what questions might be asked too" Phillips said" They'll be able to handle it fine."

It seems to me this at least looks like they are good candidates out there that still consider working for the Falcons as viable.

_T_E_C_O_ (1/4/2008)
A head coaching job in the NFL doesn't come easy, anybody who is considered should be greatful for the opportunity. When I hear about these guys who are turning down interviews(Josh McDaniels-HC & Chris Polian-GM) Im like WTF do these guys think they are?

If they turn it down, They probably don't have what it takes to fix this franchise anyways.

It's going to take a person who can tackle this head on and not be scared to make big choices.

celtiksage (1/4/2008)
I'm not sure how much emphasis I would put on anything Wade would say though considering he didn't get the HC job, so whatever he was doing with Blank wasn't good enough. LOL

Unless he's just talking about his DC position interview with Blank.

celtik

I wouldn't read that much into Wade not getting the job after Reeves was fired as its much the same way Zimmer and Jackson aren't being interviewed here.

_T_E_C_O_ (1/4/2008)
A head coaching job in the NFL doesn't come easy, anybody who is considered should be greatful for the opportunity. When I hear about these guys who are turning down interviews(Josh McDaniels-HC & Chris Polian-GM) Im like WTF do these guys think they are?

The reason that McDaniels and Polian declined is because they are smart...or at least are getting good advice. Neither McDaniels nor Polian are ready to step into the limelight. Chances to become a NFL HC or GM do not come easily. Both of the mentioned candidates are currently with successful organizations. Opportunities will present themselves again. If either of them take a job before they are ready, their records will take a big hit and they may get cast aside and forgotten for a long time.

McDaniels and Polian have bright futures, but neither is ready to step up. I commend their decisions and wish that every candidate had smart advisors.

_T_E_C_O_ (1/4/2008)

Just because they turned it down, doesn't mean they weren't thankful to be asked.

I would prefer someone who is ready to take that step and feel confident they can come in and get the job done. Not someone who is hoping to get promoted for the sake of money and job title. Think Jim Mora

bgarcia28 (1/4/2008)
_T_E_C_O_ (1/4/2008)

The reason that McDaniels and Polian declined is because they are smart...or at least are getting good advice. Neither McDaniels nor Polian are ready to step into the limelight. Chances to become a NFL HC or GM do not come easily. Both of the mentioned candidates are currently with successful organizations. Opportunities will present themselves again. If either of them take a job before they are ready, their records will take a big hit and they may get cast aside and forgotten for a long time.

McDaniels and Polian have bright futures, but neither is ready to step up. I commend their decisions and wish that every candidate had smart advisors.

I respectfully disagree man, to me it seems more like a lack of self confidence or an abundance of ego.

I would liken the NFL to 32 of the most gorgeous women you've ever seen, now your either interested in these women or your not, there's no middle ground. Ok now, 29 of these women are spoken for, but 3 are looking for the right guy. Alright... 2 of these women are interested in you and they just wanna get to know you, now obviously they think your ready or else why would they even bother. These 2 women aren't the best looking of the bunch, but they're hot. Now my question to you is what would you think of a guy who thought he wasn't ready? Could another of these spoken for women become available? Sure, probably, more than likely, but when and who's to say they'll be interested in you.

Especially in McDaniels case, you have to respect him wanting to keep focused on the job at hand. He is 3 games away from perhaps going down as part of the greatest team in football history, and he's extremely young and still learning.

He's not my choice anyway. These falvour of the month choices are getting way too much consideration for one good season with great talent around them.

I think we have a good shot at landing Garrett. From what I've heard, Sparano is high on the Dolphins list and I'm sure he'd like to go work with Parcells again. We won't get to interview either of them again until the Cowboys are done with the playoffs, hopefully Baltimore doesn't snatch up Garrett because they are interviewing him today too.

_T_E_C_O_ (1/4/2008)

A hot coaching prospect can pick and choose where he can go. He will pick the best situation.

McDaniels is young (early 30s). He doesn't want to get trapped with a sorry team and runi his repuation after 2-3 years. As long as Patriots continue to win, he will always get offers. Why not wait it out 2-3 years and learn behind one of the best HC in football.

IMO, McDaniel's is a beneficiary of Randy Moss and Tom Brady. I dont' think he's that much of a great head coach, but he has a dream team offense. Just like Charlie Weiss, if you take him out of that situation, he would probably flop.