Your silver linings for the year

Dedsquirrl

The year was tough to watch, but I am proud that I soaked up ever bit of Falcons Football that I could get my eyes on down here in Pensacola.

Made it to both MNF games and stayed until 00:00 of each 4th.

Despite everything, I found little nuggets of gold that made me happy.

Boley showing that he is the real deal and a future rock for our D.

Clabo coming out of no where and possibly saving us a draft pick by turning into a solid OT (jury still out)

And I don't care what folks say, Houston did nothing but get better as he got more PT.

Maybe I am the kind of guy that can be drowning and think, "At least I ain't thirsty."

But dammit, you kinda have to be that way if you are a Falcon Fan.

List your own silver linings.

We need a nice big list to tide us over until we sign a new Coach and GM.

There were a lot:

1. White living up to his 1st round selection and becoming the first 1000 yard receiver in almost a decade for us.

2. Norwood still making something out of nothing on the field and leading the league with 6.0 yards a carry.

3. Boley becoming the man on defense.

4. Houston getting better and better and possibly can form a great tag team with D-Hall if he sticks around.

5. The rookies got a good feel for the pro level and each improved this year over the games...well most of them.

formul8or (1/4/2008)
There were a lot:

1. White living up to his 1st round selection and becoming the first 1000 yard receiver in almost a decade for us.

2. Norwood still making something out of nothing on the field and leading the league with 6.0 yards a carry.

3. Boley becoming the man on defense.

4. Houston getting better and better and possibly can form a great tag team with D-Hall if he sticks around.

5. The rookies got a good feel for the pro level and each improved this year over the games...well most of them.

I can't believe I left Roddy Scissorhands improvement off my list.

Slip of the mind.

Hue definately helped that kid find his rythm.

Dedsquirrl (1/4/2008)
The year was tough to watch, but I am proud that I soaked up ever bit of Falcons Football that I could get my eyes on down here in Pensacola.

Clabo coming out of no where and possibly saving us a draft pick by turning into a solid OT (jury still out)

And I don't care what folks say, Houston did nothing but get better as he got more PT.

Maybe I am the kind of guy that can be drowning and think, "At least I ain't thirsty."

Your cool hand luke sig. She just gotta be named "lucille"

The only silver lining I had was after being attacked nonstop for having an "agenda" about Pestinko I and the few others brave enough to say so got proven right in SPADES when that coward fled at the first chance he had.

On the field Roddy White really developed and has gotten almost NO mention or positive press for his good season amidst all the turmoil.

Well, the silver linings are plenty including:

Boley becoming the "beast"

Norwood laid some wood on some defenders

Roddy White was actually rowdy in the endzone. Rowdy Roddy White? maybe not..

In all seriousness, I saw plenty of our players step up. It was great. The rookies, Robinson, Houston, Irons, Stone, Snelling, and a couple others were performing well and got better as the season progressed.

Redman coming out, put Joey and Byron in their place.

But I think the best silver linings will happen this off season.

Watch our bandwagon fans get back on the train next year. And watch us "loyal fans" point and giggle at them.

Dedsquirrl (1/4/2008)

BTW, Your sig is very very distracting.

I agree with all that have been mentioned. [A picky note is that we got traded picks for Shwaub, not compensatory picks.]

I think the Hall/Houston combo can become one of the best in the NFL, particularly with an improved ability to rush the passer.

Roddy and Laurent are emerging as our best 1-2 receivers in a long time.

Thanks go out to the whole team for not mailing it in when they were faced with "a season to remember", or more accurately, "a season to forget."

Nicholas showed some real promise, and it is a shame the injuries slowed a very promising rookie season.

Dedsquirrl (1/4/2008)

Chris Houston's steadily getting better is truly a bright spot, but nothing I've seen on the field this year beats your sig!

1. Roddy White's breakout year.

2. Boley earned his new nickname "Pro Boley".

3. Norwood continued to get long gains.

4. Chris Redman comes out of no where and does an outstanding job and could be starting next year.

5. Tyson Clabo and Renardo Foster showed they can be the future of our OL.

6. Chris Houston is slowly turning into an elite corner.

7. Brent Grimes showed he can ball, he just needs to stay healthy.

8. Chris Crocker has improved a lot.

9. Mike Zimmer is an excellent coach, so is Hue Jackson after he got to call plays.

10. Our team didn't give up.

Dedsquirrl (1/4/2008)

My silver lining would have you be you posting as often as you do with that vid in your sig.

The boards getting transitioned and the Sig feature working again made me very happy.:D

Thanks for the reminder on Foster. I can't wait to see him back healthy.

And ditto that remark about the boys not mailing it in the last game.

Two years ago when we could have had our first back-to-back and they mailed it in, I could have killed someone.

A full season of Norwood and Snelling platooning is something I would like to see.

Snelling didn't get much of a body of work in, but I like some of the flashes that I saw.

Dunn cracking 10k in what will probably be his swan song was nice too.

He may be done, but I will always like the guy.

The thing about this team is we may be down this year but theres too much talent on this team to be bad for long. This year alot of guys showed us they are for real. A couple guys didn't have great years, Anderson and Alge to name a few, but those guys will be fine in the future.

On defense we have our 2 starting defensive ends for few years. Anderson will get it together and Abe stayed healthy this year hopefully he does it again. We need help at defensive tackle but we still have talent there with Coleman Lewis and Babs. We basically just need some solid depth across the dline. We have a very strong linebacking core. Boley is just a beast hes been productive his whole career, Brooking needs to move back to the outside, This nicholaus kid is the real deal in my opinion. We will prob lose dmo but we still have Taylor for depth we jsut really need a true MLB. We have so much promise in our secondary its scary, If Jimmy Williams can become the safety alot of scouts thought he could be along with milloy for now and stone in the future(i think stone is gonna be amazing the guys an athletic freak and great tackler)our safety position just really needs depth and as long as we can lock up Hall our corner position is set for the future with Houston, Hall, Irons, and Grimes. I love the potential of our secondary!

Now to the offense, Our problem is obvious, OLINE. Blaylock, Clabo, Datish, Weiner, Mclure, and possibly Foster should be kept the rest should probly be gone. I dont want all these guys starting for us but those guys with some good pieces could be a very good oline.

The biggest silver lining was around probably the darkest cloud of the entire season (the Vick debacle notwithstanding): Bobby Petrino's departure.

I was at first livid that "Latrineo" deserted in such a hasty, dishonorable, and unseemly manner, but now I see that Petrino did the Falcons a favor. The 2007 season was in the crapper anyway; better he left than hanging around for what would have undoubtedly been at least another two, at best, mediocre seasons before finally being fired. Bobby's duplicity may well result in the house-cleaning the Falcons so desperately needs.

We also need a young Qb to sit behind Redman for a few years and eventually take over. I think redmans got what it takes to be a good starter with a good oline in front of him. Our wr corp just needs abit of tinkering but i love Roddy and Laurent with those 2 were gonna have some good ones for years to come. We have a very good TE corp. For our rbs Norwood is a stud! Dunn is finished i love the guy but he cant get it done anymore. Snelling is a good bruiser. I want us to draft Mcfadden and start using norwood like reggie bush is used and our offense would be absolutly EXPLOSIVE!