Bengals Interviewing Zimmer for their D.C. position

Dr John Zoidberg (1/4/2008)
Wait, if he's interviewing as D.C. isn't that a lateral move?

Couldn't the team deny permission in that case? If so then it looks like team doesn't mind if Zimmer leaves.

It would be a real jerk move for us to deny him permission to interview for other lateral positions given our unsettled situation and the fact that we'll most likely wish and request for the same thing once we hire our HC.

Dr John Zoidberg (1/4/2008)
Wait, if he's interviewing as D.C. isn't that a lateral move?

Couldn't the team deny permission in that case? If so then it looks like team doesn't mind if Zimmer leaves.

Maybe , but like BP , would you really want him to stay when he wants to leave ??? No Way!! Don't work out like that .

I love BPs philosophy more than anybodys I know of , but he don't want to be here and so I don't want him here but I do love what he lelieves in Football stratigy.

I think BP came back into the NFL and then it hit him , What did I get myself into , I made a big mistake and love College Ball much more than Pro. If I were a HC I'd want to be in the College Coaching also , but I'd have enough sense to know it .

brits4breakfast (1/4/2008)
Do contracts mean anything? Petrino certainly left while on contract... I'm so confused. I guess though it's different because Petrino left the NFL entirely...

They do, but teams generally will allow a coordinator to interview for a higher position job. In this case, where the team is looking for a new HC, Zimmer should be allowed to check out other similar positions because a new HC will likely bring in his own staff regardless.

It is different from some coward like petrino just quitting and taking a new job he had denied seeking later that day.

keithbrooking56 (1/4/2008)
I honestly hope he goes there. He was exactly the ultraconservative "bend but don't break" DC I said he would be. We need someone to actually use the one thing we have on this defense, speed, and use it by being very aggressive with blitz packages. Rex Ryan would have fun with this defense.

Love your sig , I've been wanting a sig with Brooking in it , Mr Falcon that is .

Draftnut57 (1/4/2008)
keithbrooking56 (1/4/2008)
I honestly hope he goes there. He was exactly the ultraconservative "bend but don't break" DC I said he would be. We need someone to actually use the one thing we have on this defense, speed, and use it by being very aggressive with blitz packages. Rex Ryan would have fun with this defense.

Love your sig , I've been wanting a sig with Brooking in it , Mr Falcon that is .

Thanks!

If you want a Brooking sig go by the graphics forum here and request one. There's people who do great jobs with sigs. I have some nice Andre Rison sigs from them. I got this Brooking sig somewhere else though.

I think Blank is probably one of the most ethical guys around. Given the uncertainty surrounding our Gm/HC situation, it is only ethical to allow Zimmer to look out for himself.

There is also a practical side of this. I assume that he has a multiyear contract which the Falcons would be bound to honor [pay] if a new administration comes in a fires him. If he doesn't fit into our future plans, him taking another job and being released from his contract would potentially save us some money.

With that said, I would also like to see him stay.

brits4breakfast (1/4/2008)
Do contracts mean anything? Petrino certainly left while on contract... I'm so confused. I guess though it's different because Petrino left the NFL entirely...
They do but....

Zimmer was hired by Pigtrina. Head coaches get to hire their own staffs, so Z worked for Pigtrina, but was paid by the Falcons. Since Pigtrina isn't here anymore, it's quite possible that Z will not be retained when the new coach hires his staff.