Sparano news

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/04/...o-tony-sparano/

(Makes you wonder what happened to looking at Minority coaches if your a Golden Boy of the NFL)

Although nothing is official yet, it's become clear that everyone in NFL circles believes that Miami Dolphins boss Bill Parcells and General Manager Jeff Ireland have already decided to offer the head-coaching job to Cowboys assistant head coach and offensive line coach Tony Sparano.

Both Ireland and Parcells worked with Sparano in Dallas and think highly of him, and the Dolphins fired their most respected assistant, offensive line coach Hudson Houck, and wouldn't have done so if they weren't sure they were going to have a head coach whose area of expertise is the offensive line. The Dolphins offering the job to Sparano seems more a matter of "when" than "if."

That doesn't mean he's 100 percent certain to be the next Dolphins coach. It's still possible that either Falcons owner Arthur Blank or Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti will put together a huge financial package to lure Sparano away, as those teams are interested in Sparano, too. It's also possible (though unlikely) that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will make Sparano the highest-paid assistant in the league and convince him to stay in Dallas.

And it's possible that Parcells, a man not known for his patience, will decide he wants to hire a coach who can start right away. If the Cowboys make the Super Bowl, Sparano can't start a new job for another month

ancient raptor (1/4/2008)
What would be shocking to me would be if they did not get Sparano.

I agree its their likely choice, I just hate to see people getting a job because you know someone and not because you are the best available. It happens more times than not but why would anyone else even waste their time sitting down and talking with Miami at this point. At least Blank is putting forth a solid effort

Dr John Zoidberg (1/4/2008)
Well, if the Dolphins don't due their due dilligence and interview a minority candidate they will be fined by the NFL and take a major PR hit.

TRUE. By NFL Rules Parcells is required to Bait & Switch at least one minority candidate. I suppose they will add excitement when they jerk Singletary around.

It would be justice for Mike to tell them he isn't interested in an interview.

atlfalcon78 (1/4/2008)
ancient raptor (1/4/2008)
What would be shocking to me would be if they did not get Sparano.

I agree its their likely choice, I just hate to see people getting a job because you know someone and not because you are the best available. It happens more times than not but why would anyone else even waste their time sitting down and talking with Miami at this point. At least Blank is putting forth a solid effort

How do you judge the best available? Id rather hire someone who i have worked with before, know their philosophy, style, work ethic...

michaelgee (1/4/2008)
Dr John Zoidberg (1/4/2008)
Well, if the Dolphins don't due their due dilligence and interview a minority candidate they will be fined by the NFL and take a major PR hit.

TRUE. By NFL Rules Parcells is required to Bait & Switch at least one minority candidate. I suppose they will add excitement when they jerk Singletary around.

It would be justice for Mike to tell them he isn't interested in an interview.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion. The same thing happened when Detroit was about to hire Steve Mariucci. There was no question that they were going to hire him, but they asked a minority candidate (and I can't recall who it was, unfortunately) to interview to satisfy the requirement and the guy declined. Good for him.

Direwolf