Patriot's McDaniels will not interview.

MCDANIELS WON'T INTERVIEW

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has declined requests from the Ravens and Falcons that he interview for their head-coaching vacancies.

I am very grateful for the chance to interview for NFL head coaching positions, but I have decided not to pursue those opportunities at this time," McDaniels said. "I plan to focus all my attention on our postseason preparation.

So why isn't McDaniels looking to move up? It could be that at age 31, he doesn't feel ready to be a head coach. It could be that he doesn't think the Ravens or Falcons are going to be winners any time soon. Or it could be that McDaniels thinks he'll be next in line whenever Bill Belichick leaves New England.

But whatever the reason, the Patriots are in the unusual position of being the Super Bowl favorites and having a staff of assistants who won't be distracted during the playoffs with head-coaching interviews.

birdweiserrr (1/4/2008)
MCDANIELS WON'T INTERVIEW

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has declined requests from the Ravens and Falcons that he interview for their head-coaching vacancies.

I am very grateful for the chance to interview for NFL head coaching positions, but I have decided not to pursue those opportunities at this time," McDaniels said. "I plan to focus all my attention on our postseason preparation.

So why isn't McDaniels looking to move up? It could be that at age 31, he doesn't feel ready to be a head coach. It could be that he doesn't think the Ravens or Falcons are going to be winners any time soon. Or it could be that McDaniels thinks he'll be next in line whenever Bill Belichick leaves New England.

But whatever the reason, the Patriots are in the unusual position of being the Super Bowl favorites and having a staff of assistants who won't be distracted during the playoffs with head-coaching interviews.

the dude is staying in Bill Belichek University until he thinks he can break the Bank at some later date.

I can't say I was all that interested anyways.

1) The guy's 31 years old. While that's not critical, we'd have several players older than that and the respect might not be there.

2) He's only been a coordinator one year. Again, not insurmountable (see Mike Tomlin), but still a concern.

3) Yes, he's had a great offense, but he's also done it with a Hall of Fame QB, one Hall of Fame WR and a Pro Bowl WR, and several Pro Bowl caliber offensive linemen. That's not exactly a great indicator of HIS ability as a coach. I could probably coach those players to an offense that was in the middle of the league. I'd like to see what he can do when he DOESN'T have that kind of talent.

I felt the same way about Shanahan, whose reputation for offensive genius isn't quite as sterling now that he doesn't have a Hall of Fame QB or RB.

Direwolf

direwolf (1/4/2008)
I can't say I was all that interested anyways.

1) The guy's 31 years old. While that's not critical, we'd have several players older than that and the respect might not be there.

2) He's only been a coordinator one year. Again, not insurmountable (see Mike Tomlin), but still a concern.

3) Yes, he's had a great offense, but he's also done it with a Hall of Fame QB, one Hall of Fame WR and a Pro Bowl WR, and several Pro Bowl caliber offensive linemen. That's not exactly a great indicator of HIS ability as a coach. I could probably coach those players to an offense that was in the middle of the league. I'd like to see what he can do when he DOESN'T have that kind of talent.

I felt the same way about Shanahan, whose reputation for offensive genius isn't quite as sterling now that he doesn't have a Hall of Fame QB or RB.

Direwolf

Ditto en totem (I totally agree)

I have to disagree. McDaniels will make a great HC someday and I wish he was willing to interview now that we're in need of a head coach. A lot of people pretty much assume that he's been the offensive coordinator ever since Weis left, but he didn't get the title of OC until this season. That said, their offense has always been good, even with Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney they were #12 in the NFL in total offense. Brady's improved a lot since he started working with McDaniels as well.

I'm not saying it's all McDaniels, but New England had a good offense before Moss, Welker, and Stallworth.