Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dieharddude

Warren "The Mouth" Sapp Retires

10 posts in this topic

...he was a Falcon instead of a Buc!!!!

Sapp finished his career with 96 1/2 sacks, the 28th most since the NFL began keeping track of the statistic in 1982. What made that even more remarkable is that Sapp played primarily on the inside at tackle, where sacks are traditionally much harder to come by.

Sapp was considered a coach on the field by the defensive staff on the Raiders and was viewed as a leader by the young players that surrounded him.

"I felt like having him here made me a better football player," Raiders linebacker Kirk Morrison said. "He was the leader of this defense. They say the middle linebacker is supposed to lead, but the guy has been in the league 13 years and he's seen it all. I leaned on him. There's so much more for me to learn from him I don't want him to leave yet."

I could do without his mouth & he was well past his prime but we havent had a defender with his passion & intensity since Jessie Tuggle. (I saw Jessie make some of his best plays with the game out of reach.)

Sapp rubbed some team mates the wrong way in Tampa, but morphed into a real leader on the field as long as a microphone wasnt around. Still Great defenses all have a guy who gives them that swagger while holding people accountable for their play.

stoned_jc7 (1/3/2008)
Is he a HOF guy?

I mean he was a great player. He does have one ring. But Hall of fame. Maybe I guess...

He's one of if not the best DT to play the game... Keeping him out would be a crime. It'd be like saying "Sure you were the best, but your position isn't HoF worthy"... And that can't be true.

dieharddude (1/3/2008)

I could do without his mouth & he was well past his prime but we havent had a defender with his passion & intensity since Jessie Tuggle. (I saw Jessie make some of his best plays with the game out of reach.)

I guess you didn't watch the team when Chuck Smith, Patrick Kerney and Keith Brooking were here? :ermm: Those three guys brought it up a notch on the field as well.

Grim Truth (1/4/2008)
stoned_jc7 (1/3/2008)
Is he a HOF guy?

I mean he was a great player. He does have one ring. But Hall of fame. Maybe I guess...

He's one of if not the best DT to play the game... Keeping him out would be a crime. It'd be like saying "Sure you were the best, but your position isn't HoF worthy"... And that can't be true.

Cosign.