UPDATE: Rex Ryan to interview with Falcons Monday...

Matt Rogers (1/3/2008)
good, we need a good defensive mind. I was hoping we could trade down to the eagles in exchange for mcnabb and their 1st round pick for our first round pick. what do you think?

NO! I wouldn't even consider that trade. Personally I think McNabb still has some good years in front of him, but he's not what we need for the long run. JMO though.

TheDirtyWordII (1/3/2008)
LINK - Rex Ryan to interview with Falcons Monday

Ryan is scheduled to meet with the Atlanta Falcons on Monday and has been contacted by the Dolphins about their vacancy. The Dolphins have not set up an interview with Ryan.

It ticks me off how much better that newspaper is than the AJC.

Why the **** can't we have some REAL sports writers like that one has.

Did you see the range of articles?

The non-bashing INFORMATIVE articles?

I am writing a letter. TMoore and JSchultz for that Bill Ordine guy. Even trade.

JRob215 (1/3/2008)
Say no to Ryan (Rex, at least). He was a product of the personnel. Look at Mike Nolan and Marvin Lewis, who were the Ravens D-Coordinators before him. Neither one of those guys has done much as a HC have they???

I feel the same way about Josh McDaniel. It's not hard to put a big offense on the field when you've got Hall of Famers at QB and wide receiver and Pro Bowl caliber guys at other wide receiver spots and on the offensive line.

No harm in interviewing him, though, and if we bring in a good GM, he could have the personnel he needs in fairly short order.

Direwolf

my first choice would definitely be Marty Schottenheimer without a doubt. i cannot believe some of you were complaining that he can't win the big one. so what? do you know where our franchise is right now? we actually shouldn't have been thinking of ANYONE else to rebuild this team. anyway, my desparate pick would be rex. he has the most qualifications and the pedigree to be a good NFL coach. i just hope we can get cam-cam as our OC.

JRob215 (1/3/2008)
Say no to Ryan (Rex, at least). He was a product of the personnel. Look at Mike Nolan and Marvin Lewis, who were the Ravens D-Coordinators before him. Neither one of those guys has done much as a HC have they???

In the 5 years prior to the Bengals hiring Lewis, they went 19-61. In his 5 years, they've gone 42-39. This was his 1st year under .500.

He has no front office and his personnel department has limited resources. Obviously that franchise has issues and Lewis has had difficulty with off-the-field issues with his players. But they are much better for having had Lewis than not.

As for Nolan, he took over a franchise in absolute free fall and was given control over all football operations essentially. I think the job has been too big for him, but also remember that prior to this season, this team was on the rise largely because of his efforts. The regression of his QB was what hurt them drastically this year, but again - I don't think Nolan has proven himself to be a poor HC. He hasn't had a heck of alot to work with.

TheDirtyWordII (1/4/2008)
JRob215 (1/3/2008)

In the 5 years prior to the Bengals hiring Lewis, they went 19-61. In his 5 years, they've gone 42-39. This was his 1st year under .500.

He has no front office and his personnel department has limited resources. Obviously that franchise has issues and Lewis has had difficulty with off-the-field issues with his players. But they are much better for having had Lewis than not.

As for Nolan, he took over a franchise in absolute free fall and was given control over all football operations essentially. I think the job has been too big for him, but also remember that prior to this season, this team was on the rise largely because of his efforts. The regression of his QB was what hurt them drastically this year, but again - I don't think Nolan has proven himself to be a poor HC. He hasn't had a heck of alot to work with.

Well, when it comes to Lewis they have also had only one winning season under him, so look at it how you will. They have also vastly underperformed given their level of talent.

The point I was trying to make on Ryan is that he had great defensive personnel in Baltimore, and two other good defensive coaches to teach the players that were there. I just don't know if anyone can say the defense was good because of Rex Ryan.