trade down, regardless

neko

its a bit early, i know, but considering the upcoming draft, i have come to the conclusion that the falcons should trade down regardless of the pick (3-5) or who is available (except maybe dorsey).

- there is no qb worth taking that high.

- mcfadden would be nice but there are some great rbs to choose from later.

- jake long is not worth the pick considering his heavy feet

- we dont need chris long

- ellis seems more like an UT than NT, and babs is solid.

*** - i would consider clady at 3-5 IF he starts screaming up the draft boards and is valued at that price.

it seems to me that we should be in a position where at least some teams would be interested to trade into our spot to land any of the guys mentioned above, or maybe ellis. dropping down 3-5 spots would be ideal. we could pick up an extra pick or two, and still be in a position to land a marquee player around 8-10 - clady (maybe), laurinaitis, phillips, otah, stewart, etc. there are probably a bunch of other names that will climb come draft day and be well worth the trade.

the extra pick(s) would really benefit us in such a deep draft. this way we could TOTALLY revamp the Oline, which is priority #1 (3 picks), as well as grab great talent at qb, rb, mlb, fs.

im sure its easier said than done, but hopefully there is a team that wants our spot badly enough, which i think will be quite likely. whether a deal can be done is another story.

8-ball (1/3/2008)
i totally agree i have been saying trade down for more picks to feel more holes but i just dont like the pay that the 1-5 picks get tbh it is a huge risk with that kind of pay and takes alot away from the cap room also

yes, the salary for a top 5 pick is yet another reason. better to spread the wealth right now. if our "franchise guy" was in this draft i might feel differently, but frankly i dont see anyone like that this year for us in the top 5.

I would guess that there is only one scenario where we will actually be in a position to trade down: if McFadden falls to us. Every GM knows that high picks have a negative effect on salary cap. The 3-4-5 picks will get contracts several times as large as the picks in the 20s. I absolutely believe that the best values are in the 25-75 draft position range when you factor in salaries and probability of success.

This year we have a similar situation to the Hester effect of last year. Hestor wasw such an asset for Chicago that Miami went out in the first round and got there own Hester--Ted Ginn. This year when you look at how well A Peterson did, there will be teams wanting to get there own Adrian--McFadden.

Our best chance to trade down is to have runDMc fall to us.

i totally agree that our best chance to trade down is if mcfadden is there at our pick. but i also feel like there is a good possibility that teams will have trade-up interest for some other players as well. at least i am hoping because i think it would be wisest to drop down a few spots and get an extra pick without losing out on high level talent.

Running Back isnt our biggest need right now, but Darren McFadden is such a rare and young talent (only 20 years old) that we just cant pass up on him.

What we need is:

a LT to replace Wayne Gandy (whether its throught the draft and free agency it doesnt matter). If its through the draft we could always go in the second round to get our LT of the future. This years draft is loaded with OT depth, so we could probobly get away with some mid first to late first round talent in the early second round.

I think Tyson Clabo can take over for Kynan Forney as the RG while we draft a RT somewhere in the first three rounds or so to groom under Todd Wiener for a season or perhaps even takeover for him midway throught the season.

bush (1/4/2008)
Running Back isnt our biggest need right now, but Darren McFadden is such a rare and young talent (only 20 years old) that we just cant pass up on him.

What we need is:

a LT to replace Wayne Gandy (whether its throught the draft and free agency it doesnt matter). If its through the draft we could always go in the second round to get our LT of the future. This years draft is loaded with OT depth, so we could probobly get away with some mid first to late first round talent in the early second round.

I think Tyson Clabo can take over for Kynan Forney as the RG while we draft a RT somewhere in the first three rounds or so to groom under Todd Wiener for a season or perhaps even takeover for him midway throught the season.

We need to spend some cap on the OLine, its about time. Draft skill positions (QB, RB, WR), sign a MLB and OT.

CanadianFalcon19 (1/4/2008)
bush (1/4/2008)

What we need is:

We need to spend some cap on the OLine, its about time. Draft skill positions (QB, RB, WR), sign a MLB and OT.

1. Darren Mcfadden, HB

2a. LT for the future

2b Joe Flacco, QB of the future

3a. RT for the future

3b. Jonathan Goff, MLB of the future

4. DE for depth

the rest dont matter

there we sign Bryant Johnson to be our possesion reciever this off-season and your skill position list has a check next to everthing.:)

cavalcade_of_whimsey (1/4/2008)
trading down is all well and good if you can find somebody to trade with.

If the price is right, not even McFadden will tempt a savvy GM with multiple high picks on the table.

Every year it makes sense to trade down but it's just too difficult a process to outright say we should do it regardless.

i agree that trading down is much easier said than done, and like another poster noted, it doesnt happen all that often from the top 5. but my point is that "regardless" of who is available at our pick, we should entertain offers to trade down a few picks. i also was pointing out that whoever is available at our pick, there should be a team interested in trading up for them, wether its dmc, the longs, or ellis.