Why do we need a RB?

I don't know why so many people are constantly talking about our desperate need for a RB, and how we should be drafting one as soon as possible.

What do I not know? I thought we had a pretty good RB team. Norwood is a speed demon, a homerun threat. Dunn has been solid, but he might be done. We even have a young power back in Snelling, who I think is doing a good job and will continue to improve.

So I look at it and wonder why everyone says we need a back so badly. The running game might not have been as good this year as in the past, but maybe that was because our entire Offense sucked this year. I just don't think that Norwood is done. One year ago everyone was raving about him and that he should get more playing time, and now those same people are saying he's not good enough to be our feature back. What gives? Do people actually have a legitimate thought on it or are they just struck with a bad case of "I want the next 'stud' RB in the draft or I'll cry again and demand people get fired"

I am just a little tired of seeing post after post of a different random RB that we should get. I'd be happy with a LT, MLB, DT, QB and maybe a SS. After we fill EVERY other hole, maybe then go for a RB

So please.. what do I not know about the RB's we have on our team? Why are they no good?

Dunn is done. Norwood is a 10-15 touch back per game. And Snelling is a below average to average back in basically every aspect of the sport. People want a workhorse in the backfield and none of the Falcons are it. Nobody if needed can put the team on their shoulders for 40 carries in a game. For the future Norwood is a change of pace back. Dunn should retire or take a major pay cut because he doesnt contribute much more than leadership at this point. And Snelling has the possibility of contributing as a short yardage back. That leaves a gap for who the feature back is going to be.

Rushing Offense

26th in league in YPG rushing

T-28th in league in rushing TDs

THAT's why. Not to mention our starting RB in Dunn has one of the worst YPC in the league. HE doesn't even rank in the top 40.

And Norwood hasn't even had enough attempts to qualify for that stat.

Basically there is no question we should take a RB on the 1st day of the draft.

Norwood has durability concerns, if he could add 10 pounds of bulk I would welcome his as our starting RB for next season. We wouldnt have to draft Mcfadden in the first round, but then again Mcfadden came from a college running system that heavily involed two RBs. Felix Jones gained 1000 yards rushing even though DMAC was tearing it up each and every game. That same year Mcfadden rushed for 1800 yards. With Mcfadden and Norwood in the backfield, Norwood could still get a decent amount of touches per game, 15 seems reaonsable. Add 3-5 receptions and KR duties to Norwoods chores and we have two happy RBs.

busboyisback (1/3/2008)
Rushing Offense

THAT's why. Not to mention our starting RB in Dunn has one of the worst YPC in the league. HE doesn't even rank in the top 40.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said...

Why? Because we don't have a work horse feature back.

Dunn was so effective in previous years because the combination of Vick being a dual threat and the zone blocking scheme made a lot more opportunities in the running game. I won't say that he has nothing left, because our o-line was nothing short of HORRIBLE this year and none of our QBs gave any defense a reason to do anything besides stack the box and dare us to pass. It worked ridiculously well... we had next to no production in either phase.

Norwood is great... I love the guy, he's right there next to Abe and D-Hall as my favorite players on the team. However, he is NOT a work horse carry the load feature back. He's great for those bursts that we've seen, but I think that a more demanding role for him in the rushing game would diminish the strengths he brings with him. Get the o-line sorted and pair him up with a bruising every down back and he will absolutely shine.

defensedefensedefense (1/3/2008)
busboyisback (1/3/2008)
Rushing Offense

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said...

Not a very good argument. Our entire Offense was ranked 23rd in the league. As I said already, when you have a poor pass attack, it's easier for a team to focus on stopping the run. In order to have a good offense, you need a balanced attack. That means both rushing and passing. I don't think our rushing attack is as weak as other issues on the team.

All I was asking, was why people keep insisting that our 1st round pick should be a RB. THATS what i don't get. I keep hearing that if we don't get McFadden, we should trade down to get someone else in the lower part of the 1st round. This is the issues I have.

And to the people who say that Norwood has injurie issues or can't be a feature back.. I say Bull. When has he been given the load? The coaches haven't given him the full load yet so it's easy to say he's only a 10-15 carries type. When have they consistantly given him 20-25?

And Dunn? I already said I know he's done. But I think he still did a good job with what he had. But blaming him for the poor year we just had is stupid. Our OL was as weak as ever and once again we had no passing attack or even a YKW to keep the defenses a little honest. Instead they were able to lock onto Dunn and shut him down.

I'll give him the respect and honor he deserves, he might be done now, but I was happy with him right up to the end.

USCfalcons23 (1/3/2008)
apparently your missing your brain, Norwood is not an every down back. He needs to be used how Reggie Bush is used.. Snelling is a 3rd down power back. Dunn is a wrap.. There is a RB on the horizon who is a game changer ala Adrian Peterson.

No brainer

Sorry I missed the link where the coaches said that. I know Norwood was an everydown back in college, and was the starter for his final 3 years. He set school records for rushing yards. He can play every down. Now that was up to 2 years ago. What changed?

Is he too small? he's only 205lbs. Doesn't look like it to me. What I'm asking.. since I seem to have "lost my brain" is where in your massive intellect you've established that he can't be an everydown back?

Give me a link or a quote, and not from another message board member. You want to talk like you know what you're talking about, back it up. Don't just regurgitate what another member has said.

Stick to your guns.. and tell me WHY he's not an everydown back. Because the answer to why he hasn't been one up to this point so far, is because we had Dunn, who the falcons wanted to stay loyal to because of his phenomenal work in the community. Now with the most likely solution that Dunn is done, I see Norwood becoming the #1 back. Tell me why I'm wrong, and try doing it without sounding like a #####.

And I know that Snelling is a 3rd down power back. Thats the point of having a power back you dumb #####. For 3rd downs and tough yardage.

Our starting running back was averaging about a yard per carry down the stretch save for his longer runs that only grow farther apart and will inevitably stop as he ages. Norwood is a running back in the body of a receiver, not a workhorse. He has yet to get 20 carries because he's been hurt in parts of both of his years in the league as a 10 touch backup, asking him to carry the load would almost certainly wreck the season before it begins. We need a true workhorse or we will never be able to control the clock, keep the defense off the field, and actually win games by forcing other teams to stop us rather than depending on the passing game to get every long third down our running game gives us. It's ridiculous to ask a quarterback to convert 3rd and long six or seven times on the same drive just to get into the endzone and take time off of the clock, it just doesn't work that way.

Ok, first let me explain why in my opinion, an excellent running game

in general is necessary.

1) The common thread among the four teams in the Conference Championship games

last year were two really good running backs on each team.

2) A really good running game helps sell the play action pass.

3) A strong running game wears down a defense and it also keeps the clock moving.

As our Defense is off of the field, they remain fresh.

4) When the weather turns poor, a solid running attack is necessary. Passing

often becomes nearly impossible in rainy, windy, or blizzard conditions.

5) Inability to stop the run, demoralizes the other team.

6) It stops the safeties from hanging back to prevent the deep pass[

and and often opens up the middle since the linebackers must stay tighter

to the line.

7) A quality running game can often neutralize a strong pass rush.

8) One dimensional teams tend to be easier to defend. See Detroit Lions

9) A Marquee running back can make up for weak quarterback play? See Vikings

10) A good running game offers a team the opportunity to safely get out from being

backed up towards the endzone, and can help giving the other team poor field

position.

Ok, Now Why Do the Falcons need a Running Back?

1) Warrick Dunn's productivity has dropped off considerably due to age, speed, and

injury over the past season and a half.

2) Our redzone offense has been anemic

3) A great balanced offense took us to the Super Bowl.

4) Like others said, in the previous responses, I like Norwood, but he hasn't shown

that he can be an every down back.

5) With only one serviceable back (Jamal Anderson), an injury destroyed our

season twice.

6) Too many failed attempts at obtaining first downs.

7) Many positions take 2 to 3 years to improve a team. Runningback

is a position that can do it nearly immediately. See Adrian Peterson and Marshawn

Lynch.

Norwood is an unknown quantity. He got 10 carries only once this season? He is also undersized for a rb.

If the falcons had given him a shot this year, and he had survived it, then I say I am all for giving him a bulk of the carries. But we still need to replace Dunn. And if a very good RB is around on the first day of the draft, we would be making a mistake not to take them. Even if Norwood is the answer, which we have no way of knowing, we would still benefit from a RB tandem.

Umm... you're arguing that since Norwood was a starting RB in college, then he's suitable for a starting role in the NFL? I'm sorry, but do you have any idea how small a percentage of ALL college players go on to play in the NFL?

The NFL is the best of the best. If you want to go on about how stiff the competition is in the SEC - yes, it is - but it's as stiff as it is because everyone is on a level playing field with high end recruits and top college coaches... many of THOSE players never see the field on game day in an NFL uniform, even if they were rock solid in the SEC. It's a different game altogether.

And as has been stated already, Norwood has had little injuries with his limited play already... you think he'll magically become Mr. Durability if he gets 20-30+ carries a game? He's a versatile and explosive player... he should be used as such.

stoned_jc7 (1/3/2008)

Norwood is an unknown quantity. He got 10 carries only once this season? He is also undersized for a rb.

If the falcons had given him a shot this year, and he had survived it, then I say I am all for giving him a bulk of the carries. But we still need to replace Dunn. And if a very good RB is around on the first day of the draft, we would be making a mistake not to take them. Even if Norwood is the answer, which we have no way of knowing, we would still benefit from a RB tandem.

Thank you for this response. Out of all the responses, most of which were just stubborn opinions, this one made the most sense.

First off, I only had one issue with your statement, and that was that Norwood is undersized for a RB. Well I have to disagree with that since he is the same size as some noteable players such as Tiki Barber, Willie Parker, Brian Westbrook, and only slightly lighter than others like Addai, Lynch, Rudi Johnson, Julius Jones.. etc. I think he could do with putting on another 10lbs or so, but I wouldn't say he's undersized. Dunn had a great career and he was 5'9" and 180 lbs and one of the best RB's of all time, Barry, was 5'8" 185lbs.

ASIDE FROM THAT, I agree with the fact that Norwood is unproven. I PERSONALLY think that if he was given the load he would excel. His "injury issues" are minor, and plenty of players have times when they get knocked around, especially as a young player. I don't hear anyone saying that Addai can't be the main guy in indy anymore, or Maroney, or even AP. AP missed a couple games, maybe he can't be the feature guy anymore. See how ridiculous that sounds? All I was saying is that I think Norwood is worth a shot, there has been NOTHING that has shown he can't do it.

But as you said, we don't know for sure. I agree that it's best to have another option in the backfield, or even to do a split time with them.

I just think that at this current time, RB is not one of our top priorities. It's not day 1 priority. How can you think that our team will be better with a top RB and still no QB, LT, DL, MLB.. etc. Not that I'm saying we ignore the RB position. I just think that without working on our other spots first, we're looking at still floundering in the division.

And for the guy who used AP and Minnesota as an example, wow. 8-8. Thats what we should be aspiring to? We've been pretty capable of hitting that mark PLENTY of times without that STUD RB.

I'm just against us using our 1st day, especially 1st ROUND on a RB. AND McFadden will NOT be dropping to us, so can we just pretend he's not even in the draft?

IrishDart24 (1/3/2008)

Sorry I missed the link where the coaches said that. I know Norwood was an everydown back in college, and was the starter for his final 3 years. He set school records for rushing yards. He can play every down. Now that was up to 2 years ago. What changed?

Is he too small? he's only 205lbs. Doesn't look like it to me. What I'm asking.. since I seem to have "lost my brain" is where in your massive intellect you've established that he can't be an everydown back?

Give me a link or a quote, and not from another message board member. You want to talk like you know what you're talking about, back it up. Don't just regurgitate what another member has said.

Stick to your guns.. and tell me WHY he's not an everydown back. Because the answer to why he hasn't been one up to this point so far, is because we had Dunn, who the falcons wanted to stay loyal to because of his phenomenal work in the community. Now with the most likely solution that Dunn is done, I see Norwood becoming the #1 back. Tell me why I'm wrong, and try doing it without sounding like a #####.

And I know that Snelling is a 3rd down power back. Thats the point of having a power back you dumb #####. For 3rd downs and tough yardage.

#1 calm down with the tough internet talk

#2 you blabbered for 3 paragraphs about the same thing you asked in the first paragraph, condense brother.

i'm not saying ur wrong, im just saying to think Jerious & Snelling is all we need is ********. Every single person on the planet has said Jerious is not an every down back. He is like Reggie Bush, he can line up at WR, return kicks etc. In fact we need him to be that type of all purpose back as oppose to an every down burner. Drafting Darren McFadden is as no brainer as it gets. He is a high character guy, he will pack the seats & with our line upgrades he can literally win us games by himself (see AP in Minn).

Passing on a player like DM is foolish & if we do that we will regret it.

Carter (1/4/2008)
Umm... you're arguing that since Norwood was a starting RB in college, then he's suitable for a starting role in the NFL? I'm sorry, but do you have any idea how small a percentage of ALL college players go on to play in the NFL?

The NFL is the best of the best. If you want to go on about how stiff the competition is in the SEC - yes, it is - but it's as stiff as it is because everyone is on a level playing field with high end recruits and top college coaches... many of THOSE players never see the field on game day in an NFL uniform, even if they were rock solid in the SEC. It's a different game altogether.

And as has been stated already, Norwood has had little injuries with his limited play already... you think he'll magically become Mr. Durability if he gets 20-30+ carries a game? He's a versatile and explosive player... he should be used as such.

basically

IrishDart24 (1/4/2008)
All I was saying is that I think Norwood is worth a shot, there has been NOTHING that has shown he can't do it.

I'm just against us using our 1st day, especially 1st ROUND on a RB. AND McFadden will NOT be dropping to us, so can we just pretend he's not even in the draft?

comments like these are why some of the best posters on these forums (carter etc) have all said the same thing in response.

we don't do "give him a shot" when you are 3-14.

the second part is just foolish

IrishDart24 (1/3/2008)
I don't know why so many people are constantly talking about our desperate need for a RB, and how we should be drafting one as soon as possible.

What do I not know? I thought we had a pretty good RB team. Norwood is a speed demon, a homerun threat. Dunn has been solid, but he might be done. We even have a young power back in Snelling, who I think is doing a good job and will continue to improve.

So I look at it and wonder why everyone says we need a back so badly. The running game might not have been as good this year as in the past, but maybe that was because our entire Offense sucked this year. I just don't think that Norwood is done. One year ago everyone was raving about him and that he should get more playing time, and now those same people are saying he's not good enough to be our feature back. What gives? Do people actually have a legitimate thought on it or are they just struck with a bad case of "I want the next 'stud' RB in the draft or I'll cry again and demand people get fired"

I am just a little tired of seeing post after post of a different random RB that we should get. I'd be happy with a LT, MLB, DT, QB and maybe a SS. After we fill EVERY other hole, maybe then go for a RB

So please.. what do I not know about the RB's we have on our team? Why are they no good?

Because apparently, a good RB can block 3 defenders that penetrate the line at the snap, tackle ball carriers in open space, and sack opposing QBs. Oh, and also because good RBs are SOOOOOOOOO hard to find. I mean, it must've taken Green Bay at least 3 years of scouting to steal Ryan Grant. Seriously. And Pittsburgh had to've been hoping that Willie Parker get injured so that they could show off Najeh Davenport and how ridiculous their RB depth is. And Selvin Young? Pffft, he's the EXCEPTION, not the rule. Pierre Thomas? Of course, New Orleans had that planned all along.

Sense the sarcasm, ID24. I don't think we should even CONSIDER a RB in this draft when there will be plenty of good ones that go undrafted. Oh, and there is such a thing called Free Agency.

Norwood - Home run threat every time he touches the ball. His only injury problem this year was when someone rolled up on his ankle and he was out for a game. There is been NO EVIDENCE outside of speculation by ESPN pundits as to why he wasn't starting.

Snelling - A rookie power back who has converted the majority of the 3rd and shorts for us this year. He will only improve over the next few years.

WE DON'T need a back who can carry 30-40 times a game. Patriots, Jags, and many more don't do this. Why should we. There are so many more important things we need. As for anyone who thinks McFadden will pull an AP here, you need to get a clue. Do you honestly think AP would be putting up those kinds of numbers behind this line? When the left side if your line involves two Pro-Bowl linemen, including Steve Hutchinson, any back is going to produce.

The Falcon Ace (1/4/2008)As for anyone who thinks McFadden will pull an AP here, you need to get a clue. Do you honestly think AP would be putting up those kinds of numbers behind this line? When the left side if your line involves two Pro-Bowl linemen, including Steve Hutchinson, any back is going to produce.

I believe that great players are inclined to play great. The aggravation I receive from comments such as this is that they presume we will make no attempts to upgrade the line otherwise. We have a ton of picks and we will be active players in free agency. We also have more years after this one to keep working at the process. Passing on the second most successful SEC RB of all time because our run blocking sucks is faulty logic. Blockers look better when RBs can make their own holes. And when we have good run blocking in place, having one of the most talented RBs in the league will make us deadly.

During last years offseason, I thought that we really sis not need another running back. Well, true to form, I was wrong.

Our running attack and pretty much our whole offense was based on zone blocking at the line. The advantage of this is that you could get lower round draftees who other teams didn't want cheaply. They are small and supposedly quicker. The downside of this is that they are not the best pass blockers. That's why Vick was always running for his life.

Dunn and Norwood were both ideal for this type of system. They would run along the line looking for an opening and burst through whatever hole emerged. I remember at the Senior Bowl hearing a comment that Norwood had the best "burst" of any back there. With a power blocking system, you need stronger power runners who can shed some tackles. [/if we would go back to zone blocking--which we won't IMHO--Dunn may have some utility and could maybe still be effective--he is an excellent blocker also for pass blocking.

Norwood may have the pounds, but they are all upper body. He has very skinny legs, very little drive, and does not shed tackles well at all. Think of him more as an athlete. You want to get him the ball in space and let him work some magic which he does well. He could probably work well as a slot receiver also, but he may eventually get killed over the middle.

I would like to see us get a 225lb power back with good lower body power and good speed--not necessarily great speed. Jonathan Stewart, or Mendenhall would be great pickups for us.

I agree with just about everyones comments in response to this post. We need to have a ground and pound running game to eat up the clock, keep the defense fresh, wear out the defense, require a defense to play the run, and get us man coverage, and drive it in when we are in the red zone. Likewise, I want a defense that can stop this same type of offense. Run the ball, and stop the run and...win.

The other problem with our running game that I don't believe gets mentioned enough is that our new coaching staff didn't know how to run the zone blocking scheme. We were going to see a drop this year anyway without Vick, because his thread of bootlegging opened up the entire field. Even so, if we had coaches who knew how to run ZBS plays, there would not have been the dramatic decline in production. We had trained guys how to play for four years then we suddenly told them to do it a different way. What we need is a bit of a hybrid moving forward until we have the power blocking scheme in place.