Atlanta Falcons Mock Offseason

I am going to do this assuming we pick 5th because lets be honest we aren't a very lucky franchise.

HC: Emmitt Thomas

OC: Hue Jackson

DC: Mike Zimmer

This team has finally started to fight under Coach Thomas and he is very well respected. I am very excited about Hue Jackson's offense and I don't want our players to have to learn a whole new system........they need guys they can believe in and they believe in these coaches

Extend:

QB - Chris Redman - Has done a very nice job IMO

FS - Chris Crocker - Has played very well this season

LB - Michael Boley - Pro-Bowl caliber LB

Place 3rd round tender on DE Chauncey Davis

Release:

RB - Warrick Dunn - This one hurts but he seems to be out of gas

DT - Rod Coleman - Injuries and bloated salary

OT - Wayne Gandy - Has been decent when healthy but not worth his salary

WR - Joe Horn - We took a shot but Joe seems to have lost it

CB - Lewis Sanders - Makes Jason Webster look like a shutdown corner

QB - Joey Harrington

QB - Byron Leftwich

Trade: CB DeAngelo Hall to Cinncinatti in exchange for WR Chad Johnson - A win-win here IMO. Both players need a change of scenery and Chad Johnson would take our Offense up a few notches. Hall's mouth and attitude greatly outweigh his sometimes spectacular play on the field.

Sign:

FS - Will Demps - Solid safety depth

DT - Corey Williams - Improving DT that can really penetrate

CB - Travis Fisher - Solid player who can start untill a younger player is ready

OG - Jacob Bell - One of the better young guards in the game

Draft:

1- Miami - DE, Chris Long, Virginia

2- St. Louis - DT, Glenn Dorsey, LSU

3- Oakland - RB, Darren McFadden, Arkansas

4- KC - OT, Jake Long, Michigan

---------------------------------------------------------------

1- Atlanta - MLB, James Laurinaitis, Ohio State - Elite LB prospect that will solidify that spot for the next 12-15 years and allow Brooking to move back to the weakside for another year untill Nicholas is ready to take over.

2- RB, Jonathan Stewart, Oregon - Big time stud RB to combine with Norwood in the backfield. He may go earlier than this but I think some teams may fall in love with Mendenhall and Felix Jones causing Stewart to slip. If He is gone then I would opt for Mendenhall here.

2b (from HOU)- QB, Chad Henne, Michigan - Battle tested four year starter with a cannon arm. He is tough, dependaple and a great leader. I think he can be a star in the NFL if he is able to sit for a year behind Redman.

3 - CB, Tracy Porter, Indiana - Porter is a skilled cover corner and a playmaker on defense. The first team All Big Ten player tallied 75 tackles, 4.5 for loss, a sack, and six interceptions. He has great speed and plays the run very well. He is also a dangerous punt returner.

3 (Comp.)- OT Tony Hills - Hills is an outstanding player and a first round caliber prospect that fell victim to a season ending injury. Hills already has a familiarity with last years second round pick Justin Blaylock. Weiner can start for the first 8-10 game to allow Hills to get adjusted to the pro game.

4- DE, Marcus Howard, Georgia - Howard is a bit undersized but he plays bigger than he lists and can really get after the QB. DE depth is an issue and Howard can be used to give Abraham a breather as well as play alongside him on passing downs. As you all saw in the Sugar bowl he had 3 sacks, 2 FF, and a touchdown. He also batted the ball that was picked off by Ellerbe. He is a first year starter (Moses and Johnson) with 10.5 sacks on the season

5- K, Brandon Coutu, Georgia - I'm sick of not being able to kick a field goal over 40 yards. Coutu has the leg to put it through from 60 and is accurate as well.

6- LB, Jordon Dizon, Colorado - Undersized (6'0'' 220 lbs) but plays with a non-stop motor. He is suspect in coverage but he has good speed and he's a great blitzer and a team leader. If nothing else his kamakazi attitude, speed, and tackling ability would make him a deamon on special teams.

6 (PIT)- KR/CB, Brian Witherspoon - Great returnman with sick 4.2 speed. I think he can consistantly put our offense in good field position.

7- S, Jamal Lewis, Georgia Tech - Lewis is a very good football player that stands out every time I watch tech play. He could battle for one of the backup safety spots or get sent to the practice squad.

That took a while so please discuss and I will add a depth chart tomorrow.

Good in-depth stuff. To start, as much as Emmitt Thomas is respected, I can't see him being the coach. Arthur Blank will try to make a "splash", and hire someone of the Mike Singletary variety.

I don't like the DHall for Chad Johnson trade. If we're going to trade DHall, I would like it to be for draft picks. Although our receivers aren't great, Roddy is showing signs of finally coming around, and Laurent Robinson looks like he will be a nice complement to Roddy. Jenkins is another story though. I would rather upgrade another area of our team.

I'm going off of memory, because I didn't want to quote your post, so I will be back to look at your mock. good work so far, I know these take awhile.

If that's the way the top 4 went down, Laurinaitis would be a great pick. The same could be said about Ryan Clady and Sedrick Ellis.

Jonathan Stewart would also be a great pick. With Jamaal Charles declaring today, there are a lot of great RBs that could be had in rounds 1-3

I like the Chad Henne pick. It seems I'm one of the few on these boards that like him, but he definetly has plenty of experience. I think he has alot of what NFL teams look for in a QB. Out of all the QBs, he would be close to the most NFL-ready IMO.

The Porter pick makes sense if we were to trade DHALL.

Good pick with Tony Hills. Why not take a chance on the guy? If he pans out, he would be a steal.

The rest of the picks are good depth picks. If any of those guys can make the team, and make an impact on ST, than IMO they are good picks.

Good stuff. Like I said, I'm not sure about Emmitt Thomas as coach, and I don't really like the DHall trade, but this is a good mock.

Clean looking draft....I don't quite get the DHall for Chad Johnson deal though. If you have a problem with DHall's attitude why do you think that you would like Chad Johnson's any better?

No way we don't get a new HC. There's just no way. I'd love to keep Jackson and Zimmer, though.

Don't get the D-Hall for Ocho Cinco trade. I don't see a need. I'd love to have Chad Johnson, but wouldn't give up DeAngelo for him. I hope we re-sign Hall. If we want to get another WR to come in and be the #2 to White, there are several viable options in free agency.

I do think we need another CB, though, to play nickel or even #2 across from Hall. I like Chris Houston, but maybe he should drop to the nickel position for a year...

Love the draft, though! :D Most excellent. Only thing I'd do is switch the CB pick for another O- or D-lineman.

gritblitzer (1/2/2008)
Clean looking draft....I don't quite get the DHall for Chad Johnson deal though. If you have a problem with DHall's attitude why do you think that you would like Chad Johnson's any better?

A change of scenery would do them both some good IMO ang Johnson has said Hue Jackson is like father to him.

I know our recievers are fine now but a 4 WR set of Johnson, White, Robinson, Jenkins would be sick with Stewart and Norwood in the backfield.

virginiafalcon (1/2/2008)
No way we don't get a new HC. There's just no way. I'd love to keep Jackson and Zimmer, though.

Don't get the D-Hall for Ocho Cinco trade. I don't see a need. I'd love to have Chad Johnson, but wouldn't give up DeAngelo for him. I hope we re-sign Hall. If we want to get another WR to come in and be the #2 to White, there are several viable options in free agency.

I do think we need another CB, though, to play nickel or even #2 across from Hall. I like Chris Houston, but maybe he should drop to the nickel position for a year...

Love the draft, though! :D Most excellent. Only thing I'd do is switch the CB pick for another O- or D-lineman.

My main thought with keeping Emmit Thomas is to keep Jackson and Zimmer. A new coach is going to want to clean house and I really don't want to loose those guys. Jackson can control the offense, Zimmer can control the defense, and Thomas can be the leader.

DHall is going to be gone in a year anyway and he isn't quite the corner he used to be. Johnson is still one of the best WR in the game

Even though I love Ocho Cinco, that is not a good deal for us. It's easier to find a good WR than it is a good corner. We really have alot more pressing needs than WR. Also, Dhall is only 23 and Chad will be 30 in a couple days. I think we have got to make a huge effort to resign him because we are not going to get enough in return.

Ocho Cinco is also going to be treinta (30) next year... And Hall isn't the corner he used to be? He's 24!! He's still getting better!

Being young doesn't mean a player is getting better. Lets look at the facts.......

Hall's play has declined in each of the last two seasons

He will be a Free Agent next season

He is so overrated that he will likely get a 80-100 million dollar contract.

His temper tantrums cause problems on and off the field.

Chad has been on of the most consistant and reliable WRs in the NFL over the last 6 years and has at least 5 more good years in him. And reuniting him with Hue Jackson will only make him relax and play better.

2002 CIN 16 69 1166 16.9 5

2003 CIN 16 90 1355 15.1 10

2004 CIN 16 95 1274 13.4 9

2005 CIN 16 97 1432 14.8 9

2006 CIN 16 87 1369 15.7 7

2007 CIN 16 93 1440 15.5 8

New Depth Chart

QB: Redman/Henne/Shockley

RB: Stewart/Norwood/Snelling

FB: Mughelli/Snelling

WR: Johnson/Robinson

WR: White/Jenkins/Jennings