MASON CROSBY WAS AVAILABLE IN THE SIXTH ROUND LAST YEAR!!!

Who was the idiot who missed on the consensus #1 kicker in last years draft??? WHEN DO WE WISE UP AND DRAFT OR SIGN A SOLID KICKER??? We would have won a couple of those close early season games and gained confidence as a team. Please don't pretend we can continue without filling this position!!!

How did we miss him?

2 words

Rich McKay

McKay has failed to adress our FG kicking issue ever since Todd Peterson left, 3 years ago.

I am thankful for Morten helping us out, but he cant kick past 35 yards.

WE MUST ADDRESS OUR FG kicking issue THIS YEAR.....

Spend a 4th round pick, grab the best FG kicker in the draft, in my opinion thats Brandon Coutou, and solidify our FG kicking situation for the next 10-15 years.

I see your point, and we do need a kicker...

I am just so **** sad by the fact that we loose Mort in the process. This is the most steady player we've had in the past seasons. This is a guy who has so much experience to give, so much love of the game and a passion that shines brighter than ever, even after 25 years in the league.

But maybe it is time for him to pass it on so to speak. I know Couto have a **** of a leg, but do we really wanna bypass the accuracy of vet (a vet that witnessed the signing of the decleration of independence;)), as supposed to that of a new up and comer?

pandafalcon (1/2/2008)
I see your point, and we do need a kicker...

I am just so **** sad by the fact that we loose Mort in the process. This is the most steady player we've had in the past seasons. This is a guy who has so much experience to give, so much love of the game and a passion that shines brighter than ever, even after 25 years in the league.

But maybe it is time for him to pass it on so to speak. I know Couto have a **** of a leg, but do we really wanna bypass the accuracy of vet (a vet that witnessed the signing of the decleration of independence;)), as supposed to that of a new up and comer?

Mort has great accuracy from about 35 yards out. We need a guy who can boot those 45 yard plus field goals!!!

DemDirtyBirds4 (1/2/2008)
BillyWitchDoctor (1/2/2008)
The 4th round is way too early for a kicker. Coutu can be had in the 6th round.

dont really follow the Bulldogs but after watching him blast that 52 yarder last night i think he would be a great pick in the later rounds

Coutou looks like the real deal

http://www.georgiadogs.com/ViewArticle.dbm...0&ATCLID=296358

2005: Kicked field goals of 42 and 23 yards in spring game

*Drilled a 58-yard field goal, which tied for third in school history and set the Georgia record for the longest field goal without a tee, versus La.-Monroe; scored career-high 14 points vs. La.-Monroe

*Named one of the Lou Groza Collegiate Placekicker Award Top Three Stars for the Week for his performance against ULM

*Connected on a 56-yard field goal versus Kentucky and hit a pair of field goals in the SEC Championship Game win over LSU, including a 51-yard kick which tied for the longest kick in championship game history

*At conclusion of regular season, led the SEC in scoring with 114 points (8th nationally among kickers) and field goals (7th, 1.77 per game)

*Named one of 20 national semifinalists for the Lou Groza Place Kicker Award, presented by the FedEx Orange Bow

*Named first team All-SEC by the Associated Press and the SEC Coaches and All-America third team by the Associated Press.

*Best Games - 3 FG (including a 58-yarder), 5 PATs vs ULM

*Part of SEC Championship team that went 10-3

I thought I read somewhere that Coutu booted a 58 yarder yesterday. Can anybody confirm this?

im pretty sure it was 52 yesterday, but he hit a 58yrder in VT last year. I think Coutu could hit a 60yrd kick. the dude is 6/12 from 50+, and almost perfect from 50 and below. i think he is like 23/29 or something like that.

Um, the fact that we didnt grab a **** kicker, when there were good ones to be had, in last year's draft is f'in pathetic. That's all McKay there. We BETTER draft one this year and we better not wait and hope to God that he falls to us in the 7th round. I love Mort, but he cant kick over 35/40 yards consistently. It is time for fresh legs.

james pinkham (1/2/2008)
Who was the idiot who missed on the consensus #1 kicker in last years draft??? WHEN DO WE WISE UP AND DRAFT OR SIGN A SOLID KICKER??? We would have won a couple of those close early season games and gained confidence as a team. Please don't pretend we can continue without filling this position!!!

GOOD POINT.

FANTA HALL21 (1/2/2008)
DemDirtyBirds4 (1/2/2008)
I thought I read somewhere that Coutu booted a 58 yarder yesterday. Can anybody confirm this?

i thought it was a 52 but i could be wrong, anyway if it was a 52 it would have been good from 58.

Hbooted a 52 yarder in the Sugar Bowl last night! He hit a 58 yarder in the Ga Dome last year against VT though! they did say it would of been good form 60 yesterday!

Oh ok, I probably heard them talking about the 58 yarder sometime during the game yesterday. And yes it would have easily made it from 60, there was so much on that kick I was pretty impressed. I was concerned about his leg strength because of his surgery but I am now back on his bandwagon. :)

the truth (1/2/2008)
Um, the fact that we didnt grab a **** kicker, when there were good ones to be had, in last year's draft is f'in pathetic. That's all McKay there. We BETTER draft one this year and we better not wait and hope to God that he falls to us in the 7th round. I love Mort, but he cant kick over 35/40 yards consistently. It is time for fresh legs.

I totally agree with you! Pathetic is an understatement. We had the same problem in 2006 and completely ignored it. I was sitting there on draft day just waiting for them to call Crosby's name and then....the Packers got him for a song!

capologist (1/2/2008)
I didn't like us picking Martrez Milner and would have cheerfully used that 5th rounder on Crosby...

Good call! That pick confused the **** out of me and Mason was still there at that point. Milner was considered a big project by every sober scout in the league. In fact he looked undraftable in my mind.

I mean the guy dropped all kinds of passes at the college level. There was absolutely no reason to waste a pick on him. Our wide outs were already dropping plenty of passes without adding this piece of garbage.

Distance isnt everything when it comes to a kicker. Ofc the 50+ fieldgoals are nice but so far, all I see that speaks for us using a draft pick on a kicker is the added distance and the aspect of the future. Is is enough to justify us using a pick on a kicker, as supposed to go FA/resigning and using the draft pick to get depth on more pressing positions?

I dont think so. Imo we wont draft a kicker.

IMO Milner wasn't looking too bad before his injury, which I think Joey completely baited him into. I don't think he dropped anything thrown his way and his blocking skills were actually pretty good.

Yup, the Milner pick was a head scratcher at the time but to his credit, he was really coming on for us when he got hurt. I was surprised by how well he acclimated to the NFL. He appears to have been a good pick for us at #133, which is something I never expected to type. Laurent Robinson and him were the two picks that were crucified on this board, but each player very well as a rookie.

To a larger point, the entirety of this thread is criticizing the Falcons for not drafting a kicker who went in the sixth round. The Falcons could have drafted him with their fifth round pick. Instead, they turned that selection into Doug Datish, David Irons and Daren Stone. I'd rather have the three football players than the kicker.

A lot of teams passed on him, he was not even the first kicker taken. I think the high altitude scared a lot of teams off. I watched him in one of those post season competitions, you know, the kinds that are just for fun. He was like the first kicker eliminated from the kicking competition. We should easily be able to get a quality kicker in round 6.

james pinkham (1/2/2008)

historically we always try to get a bargain and BLOW the draft by taking lesser players.

Don't worry, watch us do it again this year.

We always get solid draft position then THROW it away on "bargain basement" crap.

We could draft a QB once, a top RB once, a few TOP olinemen once oe twice, a middle LB once. But we think we know more than anybody else and we give our TOP picks away for some goofball on a hunch.

Even alcoholics know that doing the same things and expecting different results don't work.

By the time the draft gets here our FO will go on another BENDER and throw our picks away on more "bargain players" again.

jidady (1/2/2008)
IMO Milner wasn't looking too bad before his injury, which I think Joey completely baited him into. I don't think he dropped anything thrown his way and his blocking skills were actually pretty good.

Yup, the Milner pick was a head scratcher at the time but to his credit, he was really coming on for us when he got hurt. I was surprised by how well he acclimated to the NFL. He appears to have been a good pick for us at #133, which is something I never expected to type. Laurent Robinson and him were the two picks that were crucified on this board, but each player very well as a rookie.

To a larger point, the entirety of this thread is criticizing the Falcons for not drafting a kicker who went in the sixth round. The Falcons could have drafted him with their fifth round pick. Instead, they turned that selection into Doug Datish, David Irons and Daren Stone. I'd rather have the three football players than the kicker.

Ahh, finally someone with some sense. It's trade like that one that will get us to be a good team, with a lot of depth, sooner rather than later.

scott24falcs (1/2/2008)
jidady (1/2/2008)

Ahh, finally someone with some sense. It's trade like that one that will get us to be a good team, with a lot of depth, sooner rather than later.

yeah,A LOT of sense right there...... not can Datish,Irons, or Stone kick FG's?

We would have beaten Jacksonville if we had a FG kicker.

Datish got hurt in training camp, Irons has been hurt, and played special teams, did Stone EVEN play at all?

I'd rather have the kicker.