Hue Jackson interview on Sirius NFL Radio

tsmith

Just listened to interview with Hue Jackson on AfterNoon Blitz show(Sirius NFL Radio) with Adam Schein and Solomon Wilcots. Hue was super. He was very upbeat and wants to be considered by Arthur Blank. He said the staff met w McCay on Monday and was told that they would be kept up on what was happening. But at this point thats the last they had heard. He is waiting to see if he will be given opty in ATL before he would take an OC job at another location. He loves the Atlanta area, and wants to be involved with the community and be part of moving the Falcons forward. He had good things to say about Roddie White. Boy I would sure like to keep him.

ucityfalcon (1/2/2008)
Well, our offense was more productive when Quitrino left, so he could work. We'll see.

he is good, but id rather keep him at OC, because he is still new, so i doubt teams will give him a look for HC. Zimmer on the other hand is a DC, and could get a HC job. i say zimmer head coach, and hue as OC

pandafalcon (1/2/2008)
Me too, but just as an OC where he imo really shines. Why the **** he wanted to run Petrino's offense is beyond me though!

He may not have. He only had 3 weeks left in the season, and they couldn't install a completely different system and have any hope of it working. He used Petrino's system out of necessity.

That's not to say that's a bad thing -- I actually like the system itself. I'd like to mix in more power running, but we're not built for that. At any rate, given what Hue did with Petrino's playbook, I am confident that he can put together a playbook and offensive system that will work well for us.

GEORGIAfan (1/2/2008)
ucityfalcon (1/2/2008)
Well, our offense was more productive when Quitrino left, so he could work. We'll see.

he is good, but id rather keep him at OC, because he is still new, so i doubt teams will give him a look for HC. Zimmer on the other hand is a DC, and could get a HC job. i say zimmer head coach, and hue as OC

That would work, too. But since Zimmer made a lateral move to us from a good football team, he may be content with where he is. The change in our D was quite obvious, though, when he came in. If we had an ounce of offense, we'd be lookiing forward to this weekend.

I think him as OC is best fit as well. Just not sure about who is best fit for HC. Zimmer, I just dont know enough about him in that role.

We really need to keep Hue though, if possible.

I wonder if Singletary would consider keeping him as OC.

tsmith (1/2/2008)
Just listened to interview with Hue Jackson on AfterNoon Blitz show(Sirius NFL Radio) with Adam Schein and Solomon Wilcots. Hue was super. He was very upbeat and wants to be considered by Arthur Blank. He said the staff met w McCay on Monday and was told that they would be kept up on what was happening. But at this point thats the last they had heard. He is waiting to see if he will be given opty in ATL before he would take an OC job at another location. He loves the Atlanta area, and wants to be involved with the community and be part of moving the Falcons forward. He had good things to say about Roddie White. Boy I would sure like to keep him.

they should at the very LEAST keep hue at OC. the problem is this:

the falcons are unsure what they want to do at HC.

this is a ****** job. no one who is eminently qualified really 'wants it' wants it.

you do NOT attract high-caliber coaching candidates by telling them, off the jump, that you do not get to pick your own staff.

i do NOT like marty mar for the job. i do NOT like mike martz for the job. i do NOT like mariucci for the job, or denny green, or any other unemployed guy out there w/ HC experience (including billick -- our main problem right now is the one he couldn't solve in 9 yrs in bmore with a dominant defense and one of the best f.o. guys in the game).

anyone from the outside we bring in is going to be JUST as green and unproven as either of our two current coordinators, and maybe even moreso.

zimmer was considered a quality candidate prior to this year's fiasco. hue helped create the offense although he was not allowed to call it for the last few games. he was an integral part of a high powered offense in cincy (which, btw, didn't look the same without him this year).

i would not be mad at zimmer as HC providing we kept hue as OC.

i also would not be mad at Hue as HC (being the architect of the offense but bringing in another guy to be playcaller -- i didn't really like petrino doing both last year and i think our game mgmt suffered from him understimating that aspect).

i am pretty sure that the closest we looked to an nfl caliber offense is when jackson took over the reins for the last couple of games.

but again, all of this depends on how the FO/HC search plays out. no one is gonna want to come in and be told who they have to hire.

if the two dudes we have are good, blank should stand pat and go with consistency. we are NOT going to attract a 'splash' name guy to do this job, and i'm not sure that there is anyone out there who would do better than either of our current two coordinators.

poetx99 (1/2/2008)

they should at the very LEAST keep hue at OC. the problem is this:

the falcons are unsure what they want to do at HC.

this is a ****** job. no one who is eminently qualified really 'wants it' wants it.

you do NOT attract high-caliber coaching candidates by telling them, off the jump, that you do not get to pick your own staff.

i do NOT like marty mar for the job. i do NOT like mike martz for the job. i do NOT like mariucci for the job, or denny green, or any other unemployed guy out there w/ HC experience (including billick -- our main problem right now is the one he couldn't solve in 9 yrs in bmore with a dominant defense and one of the best f.o. guys in the game).

anyone from the outside we bring in is going to be JUST as green and unproven as either of our two current coordinators, and maybe even moreso.

zimmer was considered a quality candidate prior to this year's fiasco. hue helped create the offense although he was not allowed to call it for the last few games. he was an integral part of a high powered offense in cincy (which, btw, didn't look the same without him this year).

i would not be mad at zimmer as HC providing we kept hue as OC.

i also would not be mad at Hue as HC (being the architect of the offense but bringing in another guy to be playcaller -- i didn't really like petrino doing both last year and i think our game mgmt suffered from him understimating that aspect).

i am pretty sure that the closest we looked to an nfl caliber offense is when jackson took over the reins for the last couple of games.

but again, all of this depends on how the FO/HC search plays out. no one is gonna want to come in and be told who they have to hire.

if the two dudes we have are good, blank should stand pat and go with consistency. we are NOT going to attract a 'splash' name guy to do this job, and i'm not sure that there is anyone out there who would do better than either of our current two coordinators.

i tend to agree with what you're saying here. if nothing else, i think the team needs a little continuity. while i believe zimmer is probably ready for a job as HC, Hue is a few years away IMO. he was an OC for spurrier in washington and at Cal before that, but i'd like to see him be an OC for a couple more years before signing off on him as a HC. by saying that, i dont know whether Hue or Zim would either really be a good HC candidate, but i would like to retain both of them next season. it would be saddening to absolutely start over again, but i'm sure most everyone would like to get a new start after the past year falcons fans have endured.