Falcons to interview Garrett on Friday

captjack

Garrett To Interview With Falcons Friday

Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett confirmed he will interview for Atlanta's vacant head coaching position on Friday. The interview will be conducted in Dallas, he said.

Garrett has been mentioned as a possible candidate in Atlanta for days, and could draw interest from other teams looking for a new head coach. Cowboys assistant head coach Tony Sparano also is expected to speak with Atlanta, according to reports.

The Cowboys finished the regular season ranked third in total offense and second in points in Garrett's first year as offensive coordinator.

Twinblade (1/2/2008)
Garrett has got to much credit for dallas Offense. That team already had a good offense to begin with, if Garrett is hired, it would be a horrible choice and he will go with Matt Ryan in the draft.

Reading into things a little?He will also wear a cape and when you meet him you must kiss his ring finger.;)

atlfalcon78 (1/2/2008)
Beat me to it.....

I like options on the table...especially when candidates are coming from "winning" organizations as a coach. Dallas and GB are long time winners, maybe the trend will start for us

When was the last time either team won a playoff game?

Twinblade (1/2/2008)
Garrett has got to much credit for dallas Offense. That team already had a good offense to begin with, if Garrett is hired, it would be a horrible choice and he will go with Matt Ryan in the draft.

Yea I guess that is why he is well respected throughout the coaching ranks Negative Nancy....

bigduke633 (1/2/2008)
atlfalcon78 (1/2/2008)
Beat me to it.....

I like options on the table...especially when candidates are coming from "winning" organizations as a coach. Dallas and GB are long time winners, maybe the trend will start for us

At least they have the chance to win. How many times have been to the playoffs in our 41 yrs?

atlfalcon78 (1/2/2008)
bigduke633 (1/2/2008)
atlfalcon78 (1/2/2008)
Beat me to it.....

At least they have the chance to win. How many times have been to the playoffs in our 41 yrs?

8 times

Garrett will use Blank and the Falcons to get a higher offer from Baltimore. We won't be able to hire a coach until every other team that needs a coach has signed one. Baltimore, Miami, maybe SF and Carolina too. Atlanta is the least attractive choice for any head coach candidate.

plus, we don't have a GM yet and I don't see how hiring a new head coach before a GM is hired makes sense. If the new GM and new head coach aren't on the same page, there will be more front office changes in the near future. to make sure that the GM and head coach can work together, the GM should be hired first. then the GM goes and finds the best head coach. Unless we can find a coach who can also take on the GM responsibilities. Unfortunately, the coaches who actually have enough experience in the NFL to do that don't want to come here.

snicker (1/2/2008)
Garrett will use Blank and the Falcons to get a higher offer from Baltimore. We won't be able to hire a coach until every other team that needs a coach has signed one. Baltimore, Miami, maybe SF and Carolina too. Atlanta is the least attractive choice for any head coach candidate.

plus, we don't have a GM yet and I don't see how hiring a new head coach before a GM is hired makes sense. If the new GM and new head coach aren't on the same page, there will be more front office changes in the near future. to make sure that the GM and head coach can work together, the GM should be hired first. then the GM goes and finds the best head coach. Unless we can find a coach who can also take on the GM responsibilities. Unfortunately, the coaches who actually have enough experience in the NFL to do that don't want to come here.

Snicker please!You know who would come here and who wouldnt?Parcells was just about to and got a better offer.When people know coaches will not come here is when the BS alarm goes off.Coach and gm in one person is a receipt for disaster.

silentbob1272 (1/2/2008)
We will be damned lucky to get Garrett, he comes from a winner and to say he could not command the respect that others can is crazy. This guy is the prize of the coaching ranks this year, with all the other teams looking at him I would consider it a coup to sign him.

jake long: that's a huge bytch!!!!!

bigduke633 (1/2/2008)

Snicker please!You know who would come here and who wouldnt?Parcells was just about to and got a better offer.When people know coaches will not come here is when the BS alarm goes off.Coach and gm in one person is a receipt for disaster.

Parcells - you think he got a better offer from Miami? As in, he got more money in Miami than Blank was willing to pay? I really doubt that. I think Blank would have given Parcells whatever he wanted. Parcells just wanted to be in Miami all along, and he used Blank to get more money from Huizenga. Doesn't mean he got more money than Blank was willing to pay though.

Cowher - flat out said he wasn't interested

Schottenheimer - same as Cowher, not interested

Ron Wolf - very bluntly said he was not interested in being the Falcons' GM

That's 4 high profile guys who have turned down overtures from Blank.

Twinblade (1/2/2008)
Don't know about the Ryan part, but yes, Garrett is overhyped and earned his rep off of other peoples work.

snicker (1/2/2008)
Parcells - you think he got a better offer from Miami? As in, he got more money in Miami than Blank was willing to pay? I really doubt that. I think Blank would have given Parcells whatever he wanted. Parcells just wanted to be in Miami all along, and he used Blank to get more money from Huizenga. Doesn't mean he got more money than Blank was willing to pay though.

Parcells is the only one of the 4 who has turned down an actual offer from the Falcons and subsequently went to work for another team.

IOW, if you would also get a Ouija board and ask the ghosts of Lombardi and Walsh if they'd be interested in the Falcons job, you'd still only have 1 guy who is actually looking for a job who has "turned us down."

Please don't buy the AJC BS.

snicker (1/2/2008)
bigduke633 (1/2/2008)

He got some part of the ownership.So yes he got a better deal.The owner of the dolphins actually has more money than blank.

Garrett would be a question mark, but I have no problem with his hiring other than his relative inexperience. Im sure he's learned a lot from the TUNA & I'd have loved his hire if Parcells hadn't gone to Miami.

BUT...

What happens when he faces real adversity? Mora was a nice guy but lacked the maturity to handle the job when things went sour after great starts in back to back seasons. After a few yrs with Holmgren, Mora will do much better when he gets his next HC job. (Then Falcon fans will chirp about how wrong Blank was to fire him.) I still think he

's gonna have a solid nfl career long term.

Can Garret get guys to play above themselves & will they respect him when its time to crack the whip? Parcells & Wade did a lot that Mr. Garrett benefitted from.

I'm still not 100% sold on Sean Payton either. 1 season doesn't validate a coach any more than it validates a player. Romeo Crennell had the Browns heading in the right direction long before it showed up in the win column. HE & the BROWNS were smart enough to draft JOE THOMAS instead of Quinn with their first pick this yr, even with Charlie Frye under center. It took guts, vision and smarts that you don't get playing fantasy football to make that call.

We've seen a rookie coach get a team to the conference championship before.

bush (1/2/2008)
Garrett for OC, Singletary for HC!!!!:D

Garrett is not going to take OC job anywhere, and he probably wont take HC job. He was hired before Wade Phillips at Dallas, and my guess is that Jerry would do whatever he could do to keep him in Dallas-maybe Asst HC. Heck, Jones might even push Phillips out to keep Garrett.

bigduke633 (1/2/2008)

He got some part of the ownership.So yes he got a better deal.The owner of the dolphins actually has more money than blank.

Parcells did not get partial ownership of the Dolphins! if he did, then provide a link, because I did not read that anywhere.

and the dolphins owner might have more money than Blank, but after seeing this franchise fall apart this year, I'm sure that given the opportunity, Blank would have beaten the offer from the dolphins. It wasn't about money though. Parcells wanted to be in Miami, not Atlanta