Great response to an NYT article regarding Fox's horrible BCS coverage last night..

SacFalcFan

Why isn't it okay for national media-types so state that programs like Hawaii simply aren't as good as programs from more established conferences?

FOX Sports spent $80 million to get the rights to cover the BCS bowl games, but apparently it purchased all it s announcers, camera crew, and replay ability at the dollar store.

I understand FOX wanted to be a player in the college football market, it s a lucrative one. But after watching the start of a second year of FOX BCS bowl coverage ? with it s haphazard BCS Selection show and awful 2008 Sugar Bowl ? one thing is clear: These people have no idea what they re doing.

Look, it was a dog of a game. Hawaii should have never been in New Orleans in the first place (well, OK, maybe for the New Orleans Bowl. I m sure they would have given Florida Atlantic a good game). But the BCS didn t do FOX any favors by choosing such a bad matchup for the Sugar. When the coaching staff of Hawaii calls a win over Nevada one of the biggest wins the program has ever had, there s a problem. Quick, name the Nevada mascot. Yeah, I thought so.

But you have to work with the tools you re given, and FOX couldn t tell the difference between a hammer and a hacksaw. To wit:

At one point play-by play announcer Thom (the H is for Horrible) Brennaman called the Bulldogs the Gators. That s akin to calling President Bush the leader of Iran, which he isn t (at least not at this point, anyway).

After lambasting the Bulldogs, who had second and third stringers in the game, for going for it on fourth and goal, Brennaman then praised the Warriors on the next series for not giving up. So the Bulldogs should stop playing, but not the Warriors?

Did they have any idea why Mark Richt challenged the call at the end of the third quarter? Were they curious?

Of course, the awful camera work didn t allow the audience to see any replay of worth. We still haven t seen Howard s fumble recovery.

According to FOX announcers, Brennan Southerland was the Bulldogs leading rusher in 2006. That s news to the four people who rushed for more yardage than he did, including quarterback Matthew Stafford

Let me get this straight, Remarcus Brown returns the ball 90 yards in a kickoff, but all the praise goes to the Hawaii player who caught him from behind?

Do we have any idea what injuries Colt Brennan had?

I have to admit that the commentating was pretty bad last night. There's no room for bias in a game like that. Just do your job and call the game. That's all people want. Some of the bias and negative comments about UGA were uncalled for. The ridiculous slurping of Brennan and his "high powered" offense was uncalled for as well. Just call the game down the middle and you won't look like a complete idiot when the game is over.;)

Something had to be said about that BS from last night's broadcast. Clearly, one-sided bias towards the Rainbows.

Announcers last night reminded me of some of the UGA haters on this board. UGA are whiners when we lose, yet bragadocious boasters when we win? WTF?

If I get a minute I might actual email them about how terrible the coverage was. Then he tried to question Mark Richt piling on or the "cheap shot" by Gamble (I swear I didn't hear a whistle until a split second b4 the hit) but he didn't take the Hawaii player that went helmet to helmet on Mikey Henderson early in the game? I understand Brenneman is not a Georgia fan and was probably hoping for some exciting Cinderella type upset like Boise State last year but that was no reason for him to get all pissy about and let his bias come out.

LawDawg (1/2/2008)
Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson are best college football commentating duo in the nation. Period.

I also like Brad Nessler alot, but ABC/ESPN surrounds him with idiots.

I agree! Obviously being an SEC guy I see those guys more but Verne and Gary are two of the best.

LawDawg (1/2/2008)
Did anyone else catch Brennaman calling Knowshon "Nomar?" Hilarious.

What an Idiot.

I heard that and I thought WHO???? lol I know we can give our children some names but dang you actually pronounce it the way it is spelled which usually is not the case! My boyfriend said maybe he meant Nomar Garciaparra wait.....wrong sport

LawDawg (1/2/2008)
Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson are best college football commentating duo in the nation. Period.

I also like Brad Nessler alot, but ABC/ESPN surrounds him with idiots.

Yeah right Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson slob all over the SEC those two are horrible at commentating.

Play by Play:

Brad Nessler is the man

Brett Musberger is alright

Anaylst:

Charles Davis is alright

Bob Greise is ok

thaflameofatlanta (1/2/2008)
I didn't have a much of an allegiance to anybody in the Sugar Bowl...but if I were Georgia fan I'd be complaining about the commentary as well. That had to be the most biased commentary I'd seen in a LONG time. It was way too obvious that the announcers wanted badly to see an upset.

Have you watch a Falcons game in the past month.

I love that Michigan beat Florida. :laugh:

But yeah... commentating for the Sugar Bowl was horrible. Fox needs to leave college ball alone and let other networks cover it... cuz I have yet to see them put on anything remotely respectable when it comes to college football coverage. The only thing that doesn't flat out suck about their college coverage is when they show the rankings during their NFL coverage on Sundays.

It's pretty hard to mess up showing the rankings, though. :laugh:

I'm almost dreading the BCS title game coverage...