Martz Fired

oregonsfan

OC maybe under head coach Singletary....only way I'd be interested in him. IMO he didn't do enough with the Detroit offense to warrant a head coaching gig.

He likely could match Singletary's intensity. Remember, though, the "Greatest Show on Turf" had a RB (Marshall Faulk) which allowed the pass-happy Martz to have a more balanced attack. Absent that power back, you get what happened in Detroit...virtually no attempt at running the ball and a QB that gets killed because every defense knows they don't have to worry about the run. This sounds vaguely familiar to me for some reason... ;)

oregonsfan (1/2/2008)
He likely could match Singletary's intensity. Remember, though, the "Greatest Show on Turf" had a RB (Marshall Faulk) which allowed the pass-happy Martz to have a more balanced attack. Absent that power back, you get what happened in Detroit...virtually no attempt at running the ball and a QB that gets killed because every defense knows they don't have to worry about the run. This sounds vaguely familiar to me for some reason... ;)

Do you remember the dallas game where detroit ran all over dallas?How about kevin jones being hurt earlier in the season?

paul_k (1/2/2008)
Great, now he's available. I'd love to have him. The 49ers are pursuing him, but the Falcons probably won't because they're as stupid as the poster of this thread is for implying that his firing somehow means we shouldn't pursue him.

Thank you. Now please show me where I "implied" his firing meant the Falcons shouldn't pursue him.

oregonsfan (1/2/2008)
paul_k (1/2/2008)
Great, now he's available. I'd love to have him. The 49ers are pursuing him, but the Falcons probably won't because they're as stupid as the poster of this thread is for implying that his firing somehow means we shouldn't pursue him.

Thank you. Now please show me where I "implied" his firing meant the Falcons shouldn't pursue him.

Your thread title reads: "Martz Fired. For those who thought he might be a good fit for the Falcons"

WhenFalconsWin (1/2/2008)
bigduke633 (1/2/2008)
Why would martz being fired stop us from considering him?Its a lot easier to talk now.Eveybody gets fired.Not a bad coach.

If you want to throw 50 times a game...second highest team to NO and Drew Brews in pass attempts! We do not need the greatest show on turf! We need a balanced offensive team, one that keeps their D' off the field! Everywhere Martz's offense has been his teams D' are in the bottom 5! This year dead last...377.6 yards a game. And you ask why? Because his offenses score quick, they don't control the clock, they made their D' take the field more than their offense does...Please people enough of this nonsense, this is not how you build a winner!;)

When lovie and martz were together they had a good defense.Its not a fact that his offense will make your def bad.Martz is a winner.He has won.You dont like his offense?Fine but he can coach.

Dr John Zoidberg (1/2/2008)
If you're talking about OC then yes let's talk to him.

If you're talking about an HC then I'm not so sure. I've seen him freeze in high pressure situations and make stupid decisions.

Then there's the whole thing about how his system exposes the QB to getting killed.[/quote

]

He has a hard time with clock management and challenges.

paul_k (1/2/2008)
oregonsfan (1/2/2008)
paul_k (1/2/2008)

Your thread title reads: "Martz Fired. For those who thought he might be a good fit for the Falcons"

And that implies that the Falcons shouldn't pursue him...how? I posted this information because there are people here who believe he would be a good hire for the Falcons; however, as you can see by the contents of this thread, there are others who do not. Hence, "for those who thought he might be a good fit for the Falcons," he is now available.

BTW, I can fairly be accused of being many things - stupid isn't one of them.

oregonsfan (1/2/2008)
paul_k (1/2/2008)
oregonsfan (1/2/2008)
paul_k (1/2/2008)

And that implies that the Falcons shouldn't pursue him...how? I posted this information because there are people here who believe he would be a good hire for the Falcons; however, as you can see by the contents of this thread, there are others who do not. Hence, "for those who thought he might be a good fit for the Falcons," he is now available.

I will ammend what I said by saying that I don't think you're stupid (since I don't really know you) but I do think the implication of your comments is stupid. How else is someone supposed to interpret "Martz Fired. For those who thought he might be a good fit for the Falcons"??? Can you not see the implication? As you can see by the contents of this thread, I was not the only one who interpreted it the way I did. If that's not the way you meant, as you say, then perhaps you should have worded it differently.

oregonsfan (1/2/2008)

It's called the run & shoot

We have to ask ourselves why did a Lions team that Offense was the only semi bright spot on the team fire the OC, it's because they realized he had a gimmick system that doesn't work unless you have the perfect players, or against poor teams. I hope Martz never sets foot in Atlanta as a coach.

bigduke633 (1/2/2008)
bigduke633 (1/2/2008)
Why would martz being fired stop us from considering him?Its a lot easier to talk now.Eveybody gets fired.Not a bad coach.

If you want to throw 50 times a game...second highest team to NO and Drew Brews in pass attempts! We do not need the greatest show on turf! We need a balanced offensive team, one that keeps their D' off the field! Everywhere Martz's offense has been his teams D' are in the bottom 5! This year dead last...377.6 yards a game. And you ask why? Because his offenses score quick, they don't control the clock, they made their D' take the field more than their offense does...Please people enough of this nonsense, this is not how you build a winner!;)

When lovie and martz were together they had a good defense.Its not a fact that his offense will make your def bad.Martz is a winner.He has won.You dont like his offense?Fine but he can coach.

It's one dimensional! In St. Louis he had a HOF in Faulk and they threw to him constantly and Faulk complained about running the Ball more...St. Louis had defensive difficulties throughout their run that was one of Vermeil's complaints and it continued when Martz took over at HC which led to his firing there! I want balance you see what happened to detroit this year their D' wore down 6-2 turned into 7-9 (defense on the field way too long) and they had the worse run offense in the NFC and 2nd worse in the entire league 80.5 yards a game! No thank you!

He passes first not he doesnt run at all.Vermeill left and ran all the way to getting fired to.Its about points.Some people dont like the spread offense.Look at the pats how much are they running?

paul_k (1/2/2008)
oregonsfan (1/2/2008)
paul_k (1/2/2008)
oregonsfan (1/2/2008)
paul_k (1/2/2008)

I will ammend what I said by saying that I don't think you're stupid (since I don't really know you) but I do think the implication of your comments is stupid. How else is someone supposed to interpret "Martz Fired. For those who thought he might be a good fit for the Falcons"??? Can you not see the implication? As you can see by the contents of this thread, I was not the only one who interpreted it the way I did. If that's not the way you meant, as you say, then perhaps you should have worded it differently.

In the future, I'll be sure and take into account the interpretation of you and one other person.

oregonsfan (1/2/2008)
paul_k (1/2/2008)
oregonsfan (1/2/2008)
paul_k (1/2/2008)
oregonsfan (1/2/2008)
paul_k (1/2/2008)

In the future, I'll be sure and take into account the interpretation of you and one other person.

Considering only 6 other people have posted comments so far, then the interpretation of 2 people would be one-third of the people who posted. Besides, how your thread was interpreted was only MADE CLEAR by two people's posts, but that doesn't mean there aren't others who read it the same way as bigduke and I did, nor does it even mean that the other people who posted comments didn't read it the same way as i did but just didn't make it evident by their comments.

Culain (1/2/2008)
Honestly guys if you love the Run & shoot so much just get June Jones to come back from college. he would bring Jerry Glanville with him.

Look at the colts and pats and ask yourself do they look more like the run and shoot or Joe gibbs power running game?

oregonsfan (1/2/2008)
Paul K, I'm not going to continue this debate. For future reference, however, I would suggest if you have a question you might consider asking it - as opposed to commentary regarding "stupid posters."

Look, I'll comment any way I **** well like. There are a lot of people on this MB who bash the idea of hiring Martz. I, very understandably, interpreted your thread as made by one of those same people who are anti-Martz. Now I have already retracted my comments that the poster (you) are stupid. If you're still too hurt to handle it still after that, then you might consider not posting anymore threads until you're willing to deal with consequences of how people might interpret your poorly-worded threads.