Hawaii news papers too funny

nativefalcon

Bittersweet

By Stephen Tsai

HawaiiWarriorBeat.Com Editor

Colt Brennan is consoled by Ryan Grice-Mullins as the clock ticks down on the Sugar Bowl in what Brennan called "the worst game of my career." Brennan failed to throw a TD pass and was intercepted three times.

ANDREW SHIMABUKU | The Honolulu Advertiser

NEW ORLEANS What had been a football season of perfect beauty for the Hawai'i football team ended oh, so, UGA-ly, last night in the Sugar Bowl.

Playing on the biggest stage in their history, the Warriors could do little right in a disheartening 41-10 loss to Georgia in the Louisiana Superdome.

The Warriors coughed up a Bowl Championship Series-record six turnovers four interceptions and two fumbles and Colt Brennan, scrambling all night against a relentless manhunt, was sacked eight times. Adding injury to insult, Brennan left early in the fourth quarter with what was believed to be a concussion.

"It was the worst game of my career," said Brennan, who was 22 of 38 for 169 yards and three interceptions. "But it was against the best team I've played."

The No. 10 Warriors (12-1) could not respond to taunts of "Over-rated" or, in a merciless kick-'em-while-they're-down act, when Georgia coach Mark Richt challenged a UH catch with the Bulldogs ahead, 38-3, in the third quarter. The No. 4 Bulldogs (11-2), in the theme of the night, won the challenge.

The Warriors entered their first BCS postseason game as the nation's only unbeaten Division I-A team. They ended up saving their worst for last, suffering one of their worst offensive showings in June Jones' nine seasons as UH head coach.

Through their first 12 games, the Warriors averaged 529.25 yards per game, third best among Division I-A teams. Last night, they finished with 306 yards, most coming long after the suspense had ended.

For the Warriors, it unraveled early, when they could not offer any resistance against the Bulldogs' speedy pass rush. Of the two ways to defend a four-wide offense drop into coverage or sic the 'Dogs Georgia chose to go with the full-court press.

"It's Georgia speed," linebacker Dannell Ellerbe said.

"It's (Southeastern Conference) speed," said defensive end Marcus Howard, who was named the bowl's Most Outstanding Player. "We just play fast in Athens, Ga. I know (Brennan) has never seen that kind of rush before. I know he's never seen a defense like this one before."

Brennan was harassed or hit nearly every down, even on a running play when he was buried while pitching to running back Kealoha Pilares. The Warriors' longest play of the third quarter was on a roughing-the-passer penalty.

"It seemed like it was crazy," Brennan said. "I don't remember what I saw. I remember getting hit a lot."

UH offensive line coach Dennis McKnight said: "We didn't block them. We didn't execute. They're no faster than guys we've played. Everybody has speed. We just didn't do our job. We didn't protect early. We didn't play good at all on the offensive line. It's that simple. We're not trying to sugar coat it."

Brennan, who is the NCAA's career leader in touchdown passes, did not add to his total last night. Not counting his two-play cameo against Nevada, it was the worst output of Brennan's 38-game UH career.

Georgia defensive coordinator Willie Martinez said the fast-and-furious pass rush was launched mostly from the defensive line.

"We were able to generate pressure without blitzing so much," Martinez said. "To be able to pressure with four guys, maybe five, is key."

That enabled the linebackers to defend the flats and inside screens, and ease the duties on the defensive backs.

"The way our defensive line was playing, I think anybody could have played in the secondary," said cornerback Asher Allen, who had nine tackles and two interceptions.

Ellerbe said: "We wanted to put pressure on (Brennan's) face. We knew if we sat back, he'd pick us apart. We wanted to go after him."

UH wideout Jason Rivers said there were openings in the Bulldog defense. But with precious little time to allow routes to develop, the Warriors were never able to get into an offensive groove.

"We couldn't connect," Rivers said.

Brennan said: "Whether it was a bad read or a bad throw, all of these little things kept happening that killed our drives. We couldn't get any momentum. I don't know, man. I just don't know."

The Warriors appeared to suffer from early jitters. The crowd of 74,383 was their largest audience this season.

With the majority of the Bulldog crowd at their backs on the opening drive, the Warriors' first two plays resulted in noise-induced errors a delay-of-game penalty, and right tackle Keoni Steinhoff's false start.

The opening quarter, in fact, was a false start for the Warriors.

The Warriors were one of the nation's best in limiting opponents on yards per rush and on third downs. But they had no answer for the SEC's Freshman of the Year, running back Knowshon Moreno, who did not start because of a sprained ankle.

Entering in the second phase in each of the first two drives, Moreno staked the Bulldogs to a 14-3 lead on dazzling runs of 17 and 11 yards.

"We didn't make tackles," UH weakside linebacker Adam Leonard said.

The Warriors tried different combinations.

Little worked.

And as the Bulldogs' lead increased, forcing the Warriors into even more obvious passing situations, the intensity was increased on the pass rush.

"We put pressure on (Brennan) and we were able to get a few good hits on him," Ellerbe said.

One of them was parlayed into a Georgia touchdown. Howard noticed that Steinhoff was lunging soon after the snap. Howard eluded Steinhoff and raced untouched toward Brennan, forcing a fumble. Howard recovered the football in the end zone, extending the Bulldogs' lead to 31-3 in the third quarter.

"We've done it against all of the big-time quarterbacks," Howard said. "When we get a big-time quarterback, like Colt Brennan, we come to play."

After the game, Brennan was exhausted and in obvious discomfort.

"Everybody has been so quick to take away what we've been doing," Brennan said of the critics. "Everybody got what they wanted. We got blasted by Georgia. I had zero touchdowns and three interceptions. That's life, though."

Later, Brennan slumped against a wall in the hallway leading to the locker room.

"Unfortunately, I had one of the best careers as a quarterback, and all anybody's going to remember is I got torn up by Georgia," Brennan said. "They'll remember the year we go to the Sugar Bowl and got beat pretty bad by Georgia. That's not what I'm going to remember. I'm going to remember the great ride and a special group of guys. I wouldn't change the experience and what we did for the world."

next article

Brennan bruised, battered as prolific career ends

By JAYMES SONG

AP Sports Writer

NEW ORLEANS Colt Brennan grimaced in pain near the edge of Hawaii's end zone, staring into the glaring lights of the Louisiana Superdome with his ears ringing from the defeaning roar from the jubilant Georgia fans behind him.

Brennan had taken a jarring hit by Marcus Howard and fumbled for the second time, leading to Georgia's fourth touchdown in the Bulldogs' 41-10 win over the Warriors in the Sugar Bowl on Tuesday night.

"You know what? I took one right in the mouth today," Brennan said. "Luckily, there's always tomorrow and in the days to come, to get some more redemption."

After a three-year storybook run at Hawaii, where he had fully taken advantage of his second chance at football and life, Brennan's record-breaking career came to a merciful and tearful ending.

"Tonight just wasn't our night. It just wasn't meant to be," he said. "I'm just extremely disappointed that I had to end my career this way."

Throughout the game, Brennan shook his head, threw his arms up in despair and pointed to his receivers where he thought they should be.

Hawaii's high-flying offense, which averaged 529.2 yards and a nation-leading 46.2 points, had been grounded by the blitzing Bulldogs.

"We got here and we tried as hard as we could to keep it as normal as we're used to, but it just seemed like we weren't used to this kind of venue," Brennan said. "We weren't used to the crowd noise. We couldn't get our audibles."

With 131 passing TDs, no one had found the end zone more in college football history than Brennan. It's one of the 29 NCAA records he owns.

However, he failed to throw a single touchdown against the Bulldogs. He was blanked for the first time in his career in a game he played for more than a couple of snaps.

Brennan even had a touchdown pass in his first college game against two-time defending champion Southern California led by Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush.

On the biggest stage on his career, Brennan knew this was his chance to silence all of his critics and prove he can play with the best.

Instead, all he ended up hearing was the echoing chant of "overrated" from Georgia fans.

Brennan said he expects to face more skeptics and critics.

It wasn't all his fault. His usually sure-handed receivers dropped a few passes and his offensive line was dominated.

Brennan was battered and dazed. He was sacked a career-high eight times and knocked down at least a dozen more.

"It was the fastest team I've probably ever seen," he said. "We just couldn't get into our groove and do what we wanted to do."

The Bulldogs turned the Warriors' star into a dink-and-dump passer.

Brennan was 22-of-38 for 169 yards, intercepted three times and lost two fumbles.

Warriors coach June Jones has repeatedly said Brennan is the best player in college football. On this night, Brennan wasn't even the best inside the Superdome.

Brennan put his hands on his hips and slowly walked to the sideline after throwing an errant pass and failing to convert another third-down attempt in the second half. Offensive lineman Keoni Steinoff wrapped his huge left arm around Brennan's waist, consoling the dejected quarterback.

Brennan's career officially came to an end with 14:32 left when he was sacked for the eighth time. Despite telling trainers he was fine after being sacked, he was led off the field and replaced by backup Tyler Graunke.

Next atricle

Crushing finish to super season

Aaron Kia, center, and his fellow Warriors performed the ha'a on the Louisiana Superdome field, where their perfect season came to an imperfect end in a 41-10 loss to Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

EUGENE TANNER | The Honolulu Advertiser

On a night the University of Hawai'i football team wanted to impress in the worst way, that's unfortunately how it turned out: the worst way.

The dream of a perfect Warrior season found an imperfect, nightmarish ending in game No. 13 under the big top that was the Superdome in a 41-10 drubbing by Georgia.

Sadly, the third-largest crowd ever to attend a UH game (74,383) and a national TV audience of millions never really got to see the team that rode the nation's longest winning streak into its first Bowl Championship Series appearance.

They never glimpsed a UH offense that had been the nation's most potent scoring machine at 46.2 points per game. Instead, they saw a team that couldn't score a touchdown until well into the fourth quarter.

For the first time in what had been a magical season, quarterback Colt Brennan couldn't command any second-half sorcery. There were no big plays to pull out of his pocket, no defensive breakthroughs with which to ignite a game-turning rally as had been the case against Louisiana Tech, San Jose State, Nevada and Washington. "It's not how I wanted to end my career," Brennan said.

It would, indeed, be an uncharacteristic exit with the Warriors, who never found an offensive rhythm, committing a season-high six turnovers along with 11 penalties. "A gigantic disappointment," Brennan sad.

Many of the Georgia faithful had left the building by the time the fourth quarter began. By then, what would become the Bulldogs' highest-scoring bowl game victory was assured as the nation's No. 4-ranked team stated its case for an even higher finish in the season's last polls and advanced its candidacy for next season's national championship.

Hawai'i fans who had come more than 4,000 miles, many of them by circuitous routes, stayed to a bitter end. Some remained numb to the Georgia domination, others still tried to squeeze some luck from the remnants of thousands of ti leaves. Some still tried to make "We Believe!" signs work one last time.

But if the black-clad Georgia fans left for other pursuits, things still turned to black for Brennan, who faced a tsunami of black Bulldog uniforms led by defensive end Marcus Howard. On a play that underlined the night's theme of heavy-handed domination, Howard sacked Brennan and recovered the quarterback's fumble in the end zone for a Georgia touchdown.

Howard had three sacks and was named the game's outstanding player, the first defensive player to take the honor in the Sugar Bowl since 1979.

Defensive power was the story of this game.

"We knew coming into this game it would be one of the best if not the best defense we've ever seen," Brennan said afterward.

BATTERED AND BEATEN

All week, the Bulldogs had lauded Brennan and the UH offense. Last night they treated him like a human piñata, sacking him eight times, the most in the 38 games of his UH career.

Brennan, pounded to the turf for the final time, left the game with 13:42 remaining in the fourth quarter. True to the indomitable spirit that had carried him this far, Brennan sought to stay in the game, trailing, 41-3, attempting to wave off coaches and medical personnel, but was nevertheless removed to an ovation.

Thus passed the quarterback job to his air-apparent, senior-to-be Tyler Graunke.

"We didn't play the type of game we needed to play tonight," head coach June Jones said.

But while Brennan's departure was expected, even if the circumstances were hardly in keeping with the storybook season, Jones' future remains up in the air after nine seasons. The contract of Jones, who at 76-41 has won more games against an all-college schedule than anyone in school history, expires in June. An extension has yet to be announced. "I'm going to take some time off and then think about those things," Jones said.

For the Warriors, about the first things that could go wrong last night did. The jittery Warriors were assessed delay-of- game and false-start penalties on their first two snaps. "We were a little rattled from the get-go," Jones said.

Suddenly, before many of the white-clad UH hopeful had an opportunity to sit down after the opening kickoff, UH was staring at a first-and-20 situation, squandering what had begun as favorable field position at its 45-yard line.

NO COMEBACK THIS TIME

A string of debilitating penalties, two turnovers and the Bulldogs' ability to put the bite on Brennan left UH down 24-3 at halftime and rattled.

It was reminiscent of the Warriors' wobbly start to their final regular-season game exactly a month earlier on Dec. 1 against Washington, when UH also fell behind by 21 points. What had been planned as a hopeful halftime celebration of the Warriors' season to that point by the band contained a plea that "Our Warriors need us now more than ever."

But this time, there would be no second-, third- or fourth-quarter climb off the deck. No shaking off the cobwebs for a spirited rally and valiant victory.

After a 2007 to remember and celebrate, Cinderella never made it to the New Year.

I really hope this ends the talk about Brennan coming here, his stock just fell right out of the draft with that game. ;)

nativefalcon (1/2/2008)
Also if anybody wants to read what their saying in Hawaii about the game, here's their message boards there, you bout feel sorry for them. :(

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/board/fo...php?forumid=156

I felt a little sorry for the fans. I don't feel sorry for Colt or Jones at all. They always seemed to come across as cocky to me. I guess going 12-0 and throwing countless TDs against weak competition will do that. I don't want to take away from what they have done over at Hawaii but it's hard to take them seriously now.

The real ones that should be embarrassed are the ones who pick the bowl games. I think it's very obvious now that USC and UGA should have been playing because Illinois and Hawaii just didn't belong where they were.

The really sad thing to happen because of last night...

No non BCS team will likely get a serious shot again for awhile. That blowout pretty much wiped away what Boise State did last year.

I won't say that Hawaii needed to be in that game. I can't say that they were even a BCS team based on talent.

But when you go undefeated, that should mean something. And if the same thing happens next year, that team may not get a shot.

BYU is supposed to be decent next year. They may be odd man out next season because of what happened to hawaii. The mountain west is probably a little better than the WAC, but not by much.

None of this would be an issue if the adopted a playoff. Hawaii still gets their shot. Georgia still hammers them. But there would be another game for UGA. As is, Georgia in a way got cheated out of a somewhat equal opponent.

The other thing that bugs me. Illinois got hammered just as badly as Hawaii. I am hearing far less about how they shouldn't have been there. Most of what I hear is about how Hawaii didn't deserve that BCS game. If anything, Illinois shouldn't have been in the rose bowl. And if Hawaii goes undefeated again next year, and Illinois has another OK year, what do you wanna bet that Hawaii gets left out in the cold before Illinois is.

System is totally broken. Best regular season of any sport, but the ending is a joke.

stoned_jc7 (1/2/2008)
The really sad thing to happen because of last night...

No non BCS team will likely get a serious shot again for awhile. That blowout pretty much wiped away what Boise State did last year.

I won't say that Hawaii needed to be in that game. I can't say that they were even a BCS team based on talent.

But when you go undefeated, that should mean something. And if the same thing happens next year, that team may not get a shot.

BYU is supposed to be decent next year. They may be odd man out next season because of what happened to hawaii. The mountain west is probably a little better than the WAC, but not by much.

None of this would be an issue if the adopted a playoff. Hawaii still gets their shot. Georgia still hammers them. But there would be another game for UGA. As is, Georgia in a way got cheated out of a somewhat equal opponent.

The other thing that bugs me. Illinois got hammered just as badly as Hawaii. I am hearing far less about how they shouldn't have been there. Most of what I hear is about how Hawaii didn't deserve that BCS game. If anything, Illinois shouldn't have been in the rose bowl. And if Hawaii goes undefeated again next year, and Illinois has another OK year, what do you wanna bet that Hawaii gets left out in the cold before Illinois is.

System is totally broken. Best regular season of any sport, but the ending is a joke.

great comment on the future of a non-bcs team getting into a bcs bowl. it undid what boise state did and it really hurt future teams who go undefeated with that type of crap schedule.. hawaii's schedule was pathetic. the illinois - usc game was actually still a game into the 3rd quarter.. illinois was about to go to 21 to 17 before that goalline fumble.. then it fell apart.

"The No. 10 Warriors (12-1) could not respond to taunts of "Over-rated" or, in a merciless kick-'em-while-they're-down act, when Georgia coach Mark Richt challenged a UH catch with the Bulldogs ahead, 38-3, in the third quarter. The No. 4 Bulldogs (11-2), in the theme of the night, won the challenge."

This is just the a-hole in me speaking, but that ##### is hilarious.

Carter (1/2/2008)
I like Brennan a lot... I'm glad we won that game, but I almost feel bad about it too.... they got destroyed.

The Rose Bowl wasn't much better... man, USC vs UGA would have been a **** of a game. :(

the Big 10 and Pac 10 don't want good games in the Rose Bowl...they passed on Georgia and Missouri to make sure that USC would have a cakewalk and be able to whine that they are the true national champions

national champions don't lose to Stanford

Carter (1/3/2008)
busboyisback (1/2/2008)
What's to like about that selfish crybaby felon?

:rolleyes:

Selfish crybaby felon? Did Colt Brennan ##### in your Cheerios or something?

well he is a felon, that is an accurate statement and he did cry like a baby. I am not calling him that myself, but what he said above wasn't inaccurate.

SacFalcFan (1/3/2008)
well he is a felon, that is an accurate statement and he did cry like a baby. I am not calling him that myself, but what he said above wasn't inaccurate.

He's far from being the only football player to come from a sketchy background. He's also far from being the only football player to cry after a big loss.

I didn't say the statement was inaccurate... it just puzzles me why someone would hold this against Brennan when football in whole could never be mistaken for a class act sport or endeavor. It's full of people who take pleasure in inflicting pain upon others.

It's not even as if the Georgia Bulldogs or Atlanta Falcons escape this. Selective hatred does require a great deal of ignorance, though.

Dago (1/3/2008)
the Big 10 and Pac 10 don't want good games in the Rose Bowl...they passed on Georgia and Missouri to make sure that USC would have a cakewalk and be able to whine that they are the true national champions

national champions don't lose to Stanford

Oh come off it... I'm as big a Dawgs fan as you can be, but if you're going to use that logic then national champions don't lose to South Carolina or get blown out by Tennessee, either.

The system is broken. There's no disputing this. It's ridiculous to blame the Pac-10 and Big 10 for the Rose Bowl though, because that's their bowl game. There used to be games like that ALL THE TIME. The fact that UGA was a better overall prospect for an opponent to face USC is of little consequence... the SEC rarely plays in the Rose Bowl.

I would have loved to see USC vs UGA... but the system is what it is.

Dirty Bird Razorback (1/3/2008)
"The No. 10 Warriors (12-1) could not respond to taunts of "Over-rated" or, in a merciless kick-'em-while-they're-down act, when Georgia coach Mark Richt challenged a UH catch with the Bulldogs ahead, 38-3, in the third quarter. The No. 4 Bulldogs (11-2), in the theme of the night, won the challenge."

This is just the a-hole in me speaking, but that ##### is hilarious.

Oh i loved the announcers who said oh that's not nice chanting that.. boo hoo.. that's just wrong.. boo hoo.. LOLOL.. sorry but they were overrated..that is a factual statement. Sorry but I forgot you quit playing and coaching in the 3rd quarter.. LOL That wasn't a catch and richt was there and saw it, of course he is going to challenge it.. duh..