High expectations for UGA in '08.. Stafford, Moreno ready for Heisman years..

SacFalcFan

High expectations for UGA in '08

Experts predict 'Heisman' years for Stafford, Moreno

By JEFF D'ALESSIO

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/01/08

Just 242 more days until Matthew Stafford & Co. kick off the 2008 season against Georgia Southern.

We asked those in the know what's in store for Georgia football come fall. A few early predictions:

BRUCE FELDMAN

ESPN The Magazine

"Knowshon Moreno goes for 2,000 rushing yards and gets invited to New York for the Heisman as Georgia wins the SEC."

TOM DIENHART

Sporting News

"I expect Georgia to make a run at the SEC title in 2008 and to be a dark horse national title contender. And if that's the case, Matthew Stafford will be a legit Heisman candidate."

DENNIS DODD

CBS Sportsline

"Georgia should be a top-five team to start. Knowshon Moreno for the Heisman. Stub Hub is salivating over the Cocktail market for the Florida game."

BRAD EDWARDS

ESPN.com

"Just like this season, the Bulldogs will go 10-2, not win the SEC East and get an at-large bid to the BCS."

KENNETH MASSEY

Massey Ratings

"The Bulldogs will get revenge on Tennessee in a big way."

PETE FIUTAK

College Football News

"Preseason top 10. It's a strong year overall for returning teams, especially for the SEC, but 2008 was supposed to be Georgia's big year, not 2007. The running game will be fantastic."

MARK SCHLABACH

ESPN.com

"The Georgia-Florida game in Jacksonville will decide which SEC team plays for the 2008 national championship."

robbyb03 (1/2/2008)
I don't see Stafford being Heisman mention worthy next season. I just don't see him even being a top three quarterback in the SEC. Wilson, Tebow, and Perrilloux are all going to better in my opinion.

Wilson?? you kidding me.. wilson isn't a top 5 qb in the sec.. It will be Tebow, Stafford, and Perrilloux IMO.

robbyb03 (1/2/2008)
I don't see Stafford being Heisman mention worthy next season. I just don't see him even being a top three quarterback in the SEC. Wilson, Tebow, and Perrilloux are all going to better in my opinion.

LOL @ JPDubya being top three, I don't see Stafford as a heisman QB but he is most definatley better than JPDubya, and I would say that Stafford is top three SEC easily.

millejb (1/2/2008)
robbyb03 (1/2/2008)

LOL @ JPDubya being top three, I don't see Stafford as a heisman QB but he is most definatley better than JPDubya, and I would say that Stafford is top three SEC easily.

If Burns is the starter next year for auburn, I could see him move up.. He really impressed me..

SacFalcFan (1/2/2008)
millejb (1/2/2008)
robbyb03 (1/2/2008)

If Burns is the starter next year for auburn, I could see him move up.. He really impressed me..

He really needs to work on learning the playbook or he WILL be playing the "come in and run" role for the rest of his career. That being said I think he can do it, he has all the potential in the world with his speed and strong arm. I have never been so excited about the next season like I am this next season, we are so deep at so many positions it's ridiculous, not to mention the spread coming to Auburn. The SEC is going to be so competitive next season it won't even be funny.

capologist (1/2/2008)

ESPN.com

"Just like this season, the Bulldogs will go 10-2, not win the SEC East and get an at-large bid to the BCS."

MARK SCHLABACH

ESPN.com

"The Georgia-Florida game in Jacksonville will decide which SEC team plays for the 2008 national championship."

2008 is gonna be fun...:D

It sure will be.. You guys better fix that defense and hope moody is as good as you guys think he is..

doogiehouser (1/3/2008)
raven reborn (1/3/2008)
Looking forward to seeing Moreno more

You and me both. Wow, I just saw Georgia's schedule for 2008, and I am so going to try to go to 3 or 4 games! The SEC will be insane next year.

I am going to the bama and ut games for sure. I have a buddy who has a relative who plays for uga and he goes to a number of road games and I am thinking about going to the game in south carolina.

Goodoleboy58 (1/3/2008)
I don't see us passing the ball enough for Stafford to put up the numbers a QB is expected to put up to get the invite. He's capable, I just don't see us throwing the ball that many times a game with our running game clicking like it is.

You may very well be right, but UGA has has the calibur of wide receiver of an AJ Green before. It doesn't matter how often you pass IMO, it matters how effective you can pass. If Matt passes 20 times and get 14 completions, but 5 of them are big plays you could see some great stats for stafford. I don't think we will throw enough for any heisman talk in the end, but I do think both stafford and moreno will have heisman hype starting off the season. If moreno stays healthy he will be in the thick of the heisman race.