Lets meet our new GM.

Ernie Accorsi was the general manager of the NFL's New York Giants football team. Accorsi had held the position from January 8, 1998, when he took over for the legendary George Young until January 16, 2007, the date of his retirement. The Giants have promoted Jerry Reese into the GM role.

Accorsi joined the Giants in 1994 and served as an assistant to the general manager until he succeeded Young in 1998.

Accorsi has been the general manager of two other NFL franchises, the Baltimore Colts, from 1982 to 1983, and the Cleveland Browns, from 1985 to 1992.

The Giants made one Super Bowl appearance as under Accorsi in Super Bowl XXXV, which they lost to the Baltimore Ravens, 34-7, won two NFC East division titles (2000, 2005) while making the playoffs four times (2000, 2002, 2005, 2006).

Accorsi's highest profile personnel move came at the 2004 NFL Draft, where he traded Giants first round draft choice quarterback Philip Rivers and three draft picks (a 3rd round pick in 2004 and 1st and 5th round picks in 2005) to the San Diego Chargers for Number 1 overall draft choice quarterback Eli Manning, giving the Giants a young franchise quarterback. The move met with the approval of Giants fans, who cheered loudly when the trade was announced by Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. Manning has since led the Giants to playoff appearances in 2005 and 2006.

Accorsi is also responsible for drafting star tight end Jeremy Shockey in the 2002 NFL Draft and hiring current head coach Tom Coughlin after the 2003 season.

However Accorsi was also responsible for selecting draft busts such as former highly touted Heisman Trophy winner and all-time NCAA rushing yards leader Ron Dayne, Will Allen, Tim Carter, Will Peterson, and Corey Webster.

Accorsi is a 1963 graduate of Wake Forest University.

Post all Ernie Accorsi info here.

Accorsi is also responsible for drafting star tight end Jeremy Shockey in the 2002 NFL Draft and hiring current head coach Tom Coughlin after the 2003 season.

However Accorsi was also responsible for selecting draft busts such as former highly touted Heisman Trophy winner and all-time NCAA rushing yards leader Ron Dayne, Will Allen, Tim Carter, Will Peterson, and Corey Webster.

Ron Dayne plays pretty well for the Texans. I'm not sure if I can consider him a bust. He's not the dominant back everyone expected him to be but he's a solid pro.

I know this thread is a "joke" right now but I'm worried that it could come true. eeekkkkkkkkk! I am assuming you guys are thinking this is the reason we are going to start interviewing head coach candidates when we supposedly don't have a GM in place?

is that it?

I found a little more on Accorsi. I really hope he is not Blank's choice.

ESPN reported yesterday morning that Accorsi has been retained by the Falcons as a consultant to owner Arthur Blank. Accorsi confirmed that in an e-mail to Newsday yesterday afternoon. Accorsi will advise Blank in the search for a new head coach and director of football operations.

"Consultant. No job," Accorsi wrote in his e-mail.

Blank and Accorsi already have something in common. In Tom Callahan's book, "The GM," a chronicle of Accorsi's 2006 season, he professed an interest in Petrino as his top choice to replace Tom Coughlin should the Giants have decided to let Coughlin go

i'm not impressed with his body of work, i bet you guys are glad i said of work huh? the nix guy from SD, i dont know how much credit he deserves for their drafts, but i am extremely impressed with their body of work in the drafts. the packers are no better than mckay, but like mckay they do find good talent late. the fact that anyone from KC is mentioned is a joke. their drafts are horrible. i swear if that guy is in the running then i'm throwing my name in the hat.

capologist (1/1/2008)
He's just a consultant. A new GM will be hired...

Blank himself said "it's only logical to hire a GM before a HC". The Falcons are already scheduling and/or retaining permission to interview HC candidates.

Who'll interview them (HC candidates) if we don't have a GM?

1 + 1 has never been 3.

Either Accorsi is our GM or Blank has already hired a GM and is keeping it under wraps. One last or... Or we're really not scheduling or planning on meeting with any potential HC candidates at this time.

Blank would be wasting his time interviewing HC's without a GM.

buddrick (1/1/2008)
i'm not impressed with his body of work, i bet you guys are glad i said of work huh? the nix guy from SD, i dont know how much credit he deserves for their drafts, but i am extremely impressed with their body of work in the drafts. the packers are no better than mckay, but like mckay they do find good talent late. the fact that anyone from KC is mentioned is a joke. their drafts are horrible. i swear if that guy is in the running then i'm throwing my name in the hat.

agree w/ this, Buddrick.

I'm intrigued by Buddy Nix/2nd lieutenant to AJ Smith/Chargers

I'm intrigued by Jeff Ireland/2nd lieutanant to Jerry Jones/Cowboys

I'm not interested in guys with spotty draft records like Accorsi......I'm also not interested in some of the candidates mentioned by Wyche today - Bill Kuharich of KC/2nd lieutenant to Carl Peterson and I am not interested in 69yr old Ron Wolf who has been out of NFL for 6 years. yuck!

andrews31cain21 (1/1/2008)
we're just speculating because we think its really odd that we are starting to interview coaches with no GM in place....especially since AB has stated numerous times that hiring a GM is first priority...and yet no talk of interviews have arisen....see my We have a dilema thread

I get it. Blank hires a HC then hires a GM. The new GM doesn't want the new HC as HC. The new GM then fires the new HC. This puts Blank in a position he doesn't want to be in so he fires the new GM.

Yeah, I can see this scenario.